PDA

View Full Version : What is the best web based free email?

Link
28th March 2006, 05:07 PM
After deciding to swap broadband providers, again, I find myself in the position of changing email address's, again. Have decided to drop AAnet because of cost and the fact that their email still isn't working properly after 2 weeks.

Would web based email be better? like hotmail or yahoo? I figure that way it would not matter which company I have my broadband with.

Any thoughts? :unsure:

Joz
28th March 2006, 05:10 PM
Gmail. :)

morpheme2004
28th March 2006, 05:15 PM
Gmail. By far.

jbillett
28th March 2006, 05:17 PM
AJAX is leading the way... thus Gmail is the free email of choice ;)

Link
28th March 2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks. I have never heard of Gmail but will check it out now...

:)

mechcon
28th March 2006, 05:42 PM
if you need an invitation for gmail, pm me.

alternatively goowy.com is an interesting basis for a free email/desktop replacement(?)

Optogamut
28th March 2006, 05:51 PM
...or you get your own domain and you keep that as your email no matter who your ISP is.

antechinus55
28th March 2006, 06:00 PM
I also have plenty of gmail invites if any needs one.

sao

Link
28th March 2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Optogamut@Mar 28 2006, 05:51 PM
...or you get your own domain and you keep that as your email no matter who your ISP is.
Is that expensive?

Galumay
28th March 2006, 06:33 PM
i use godaddy.com for my domain registration and free email that can be set up thru your POP server as well as webmail. their website is awful but i have had the domain for a couple of years and use the email as well and have had no problems. a .com domain is only a few dollars a year.

Currawong
28th March 2006, 06:36 PM
I've gone the other way, from using my own domain to just gmail. My domain host doesn't have spam filtering, nor decent online access.

Pismo
28th March 2006, 06:50 PM
Gmail the only beef i have with it you cant have extra folders keeping track of you mail is a pain in the rear end

hogscape
28th March 2006, 06:53 PM
No extra folders requried - just 'tag' your mail (which is effectively the same thing).

Love Gmail!

mac_man_luke
28th March 2006, 06:56 PM
Gmail is the best

StLuke
28th March 2006, 06:57 PM
Your own domain is great for personalising your address, and for permanence. But you don't want to have to be sysadmin: even with good admin frontends from your hosting company, it's a lot of technical settings from DNS to forwarding rules to filtering. I suggest using both :)

Further to Currawong: I have my own domain email, a work email, and an old uni student/staff email account. they all forward to my primary Gmail account. Everything that arrives at that account forwards to *another* gmail account, my archive account.

Overkill? I have too many people with my old addresses to close any of the old ones. One gmail account is the one I use everyday. In case I ever need anything I deleted, I can open up the archive one. It's the easiest backup ever!

I have another decade before I use up the Gmail storage limit on the second account, and it's about seven million times easier and more reliable than manually (or even automatically) backing up my laptop's mail archive. I even send files that I need to that account to be stored for a rainy day.

You don't have to have your own domain, but I'd recommend it. Forward from that to gmail and you get the best of both worlds.

At least, it's worked well for me :)

Luke

Link
28th March 2006, 07:08 PM
is it then possible to access Gmail using mail on my mac? How is this done please?

MacFactor
28th March 2006, 07:23 PM
Sure you can.
Mail application settings:
For POP3 - turn SSL on and change server port value to 995.
For SMTP - turn SSL on and change server port value to 587.
Use your_name@gmail.com as login name. Also check that SMTP uses authentification to send e-mail. So Authentification option is set to "Password"
That's it.

Link
28th March 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for that...what do I use for the incoming and outgoing mail servers?

Joz
28th March 2006, 07:37 PM
pop.gmail.com - port 995
smtp.gmail.com - port 587

and enable SSL

thephydeaux
28th March 2006, 08:09 PM
'Nother vote for Gmail. It seems to have a very good cr*p filter, and no annoying ads.

Tim R

scottyh
28th March 2006, 08:14 PM
I love FastMail.

http://www.fastmail.fm/

Limited features [1] when using the free account but I have been using the Enhanced paid features with my domain name for years.

I've been very happy with the service.

Footnote

[1]
10 MB storage space
40 MB bw/month
IMAP/Web access
45 day no activity period
Taglines on emails

Link
28th March 2006, 08:17 PM
Thanx MacFactor and Joz...I have Gmail working with my Mail app. on my laptop...very cool! :)

tommelbourne
28th March 2006, 08:17 PM
No offense (if it does what you need it to then that is great), but it sounds like FastMail comes nowhere near Gmail.

kennyy
28th March 2006, 08:50 PM
i prefer yahoo mail..hehe

morpheme2004
28th March 2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by antechinus55@Mar 28 2006, 06:00 PM
I also have plenty of gmail invites if any needs one.

sao
Just an update on gmail - it stopped requiring invites a while ago. You can sign up from the home page now.

purana
28th March 2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by morpheme2004@Mar 28 2006, 08:56 PM
Just an update on gmail - it stopped requiring invites a while ago. You can sign up from the home page now.
Yep invites are useless now :)

bombora
28th March 2006, 10:36 PM
I second the fastmail vote... got onto them before gmail started up and have had no reason to change, very reliable, slick service. Also like that the fastmail crew are from Melbourne, it's nice to see a world class service based a few blocks from where I live.

decryption
28th March 2006, 11:24 PM
Fastmail is great, I've heard wonderful stuff about them. US$40/yr for the service they provide - including a proper domain name (e.g: anthony@anthonyagius.net) is fantastic.

You can also send SMS from your e-mail, which is very handy. You also get multiple usernames in the one domain. If you're a business, you can't go wrong with Fastmail. It's much better than hosting your own e-mail or using a tacky ISP or free e-mail address on a business card. Not to mention they're an Australian company!

That said, Gmail is free and it's what I use :P

yinyang
29th March 2006, 12:42 AM
and just to re-inforce the Gmail vote, you can also use it with gDisk (http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/) so that you can try and make some use of all the 2.7Gb goodness (or more if you have more than 1 account and loads of spare invites) :D