PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Camino or Shiira browser?

sundance
28th March 2006, 02:43 PM
Do you use Camino or Shiira browser?

What are the pros and cons of each?

morgan
28th March 2006, 03:02 PM
Camino is faster than firefox, built exclusively for osx and therefore utilises mac specific technology like storing passwords in the keychain. Use Camino

gizo
28th March 2006, 03:05 PM
...and shiira...?

morgs
28th March 2006, 03:12 PM
I like to test websites in Firefox, is it the same when testing them in Camino? I understand they have the same engine or something like that. I do like Camino.

Like the idea of Shira, but not really sure why I would use anything other than Safari accept for those rare occasions that safari is not supported. For example Zimbra does not support safari yet.

Muzza_77
28th March 2006, 03:13 PM
I really like Safari, though my one of my brothers use Camino, he seems to think that it is faster.

mechcon
28th March 2006, 03:15 PM
camino all the way:

my pros:

- it aint safari
- its as fast as safari
- its as sturdy/compatible with sites as firefox is
- loves the work's proxy server (unlike safari/shiira)
- open source

my cons:

- scrolling isn't as smooth as safari
- lacks the activity window (VERY HANDY for grabbing embedded files)
- can't think of any other cons (probably should put that in pros)
- hardly, if any plugins/themes out there (except camitools)

ace66
28th March 2006, 03:39 PM
Camino user here. The other fast and light browser with tabs.

The only thing I miss is all the great plugins available for Firefox.

xfodder
28th March 2006, 03:44 PM
i would use camino but the only feature that it is missing is an RSS reader, i can't live without safari for this reason...i dont want a separate app to check my RSS feeds....and i hate the way firefox deals with RSS....so if the camino team add's a nice RSS reader i would switch in a second, as i already love the browser.

morgs
28th March 2006, 03:48 PM
I agree on the RSS reader. Safari is best and this feature is well used by me.

mechcon
28th March 2006, 04:13 PM
I was going to mention the RSS reader too! but i forgot :P

if camino had that and the activity window? i'd be happy to remove safari :P or shiira (as the forum topic implies

notb4dinner
28th March 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty happy with Camino, although dodgy pages (particularly MySpace it would seem) have a tendency to lock it up and or cause crashes. Last time I used Shiira the UI seemed pretty clunky but admittedly that was a long time ago.

bljpoad
28th March 2006, 04:47 PM
Hey! Ho! Camino!

Safari will not run on my office iMac, so alternative measures had to be taken! RSS is something that I also would like to see included in future releases.

froggy
28th March 2006, 04:57 PM
Camino.

Pros:
Keychain!
Fast
Stable

Cons:
No RSS
Not as many plugins as on Firefox

Cheers,
Andrew

Joz
28th March 2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by mechcon@Mar 28 2006, 04:15 PM
- lacks the activity window (VERY HANDY for grabbing embedded files)
Awesome, I'd never noticed that. :)

forgie
28th March 2006, 05:33 PM
Camino for me. "Find as you type" is brilliant for research of any type....

morgs
28th March 2006, 05:50 PM
I would like find as you type added to Safari.

yinyang
28th March 2006, 06:05 PM
i have both as a backup for safari, though it's more if i just feel like a change rather than something actually wrong.

both are pretty fast, though i think shiira is a tiny bit faster and has that wonderful tab exposť. camino has improved a lot recently imho, though shiira is insanely small as a package!!

xfodder
28th March 2006, 06:09 PM
'find as you type' is possible with safari with plug-ins....im not quite sure which one but it is possible ! :P

edit: this site some nice safari plug-ins check it out http://pimpmysafari.com/

edit again to point you to this particular plug-in http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/fiwt-04 - it gives safari 'find as you type' functionality

Currawong
28th March 2006, 06:38 PM
Shiira uses the same code-base as Safari (Webkit/KHTML) but has some useful features that Safari doesn't.

mechcon
28th March 2006, 07:11 PM
like? the page animation from site-to-site? :P

Starscream
28th March 2006, 08:13 PM
I use camino over Safari and firefox. IMO its just a better browser.

lambs
28th March 2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Willihouse@Mar 28 2006, 08:13 PM
I use camino over Safari and firefox. IMO its just a better browser.
Agreed. Camino is the best AFAIC :)

mwidjaya
28th March 2006, 08:39 PM
Another vote for Camino. Responsive and snappy even after being left idling for a while, unlike Firefox.

forgie
28th March 2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I'm very confident in camino's memory leak proof factor. I leave it running for weeks at a time, and often have up to 20 pages open in multiple tabs. My 1.33Ghz ibook with 1gb RAM handles it all fine, with no lag. The only issues are with badly done webpages that have stupid animations, but they slow down every browser.

designers_hub
28th March 2006, 10:44 PM
camino is the best.

i stopped using safari a long long time ago.

why? camino is WAY faster than safari, it loads faster, less load on the CPU.

But yes it doesn't have rss feeds, i don't use rss feeds so no drama there.

it doesn't use keychain, but i don't use auto fill in, not safe.

i do find that flash web sites run very slow on camino, maybe a issue with the way it handles plug-ins.

Shiira looks really neat, going to try it out!

forgie
28th March 2006, 11:14 PM
Um, actually Camino DOES use keychain! :)

mechcon
29th March 2006, 06:22 AM
forgot to add about camino, for anyone that has a dual-screen (or notebook + extra screen) setup

or even one.. load up a flash animation in safari, then make safari inactive (or visible) whilst you run another application or finder, notice the animation chugs along? camino dont do that!!!

haven't tried shiira, but i gather it'd be the same as safari

edit: yyyyup shiira same as safari

aspro
29th March 2006, 08:12 AM
I use camino, its support for keychain is awesome, saves me typing in proxy passwords all the time, and it seems faster than Safari on my PB

arribadia
29th March 2006, 08:19 AM
Speaking of the keychain, I'm currently a Firefox user, and with the tons of passwords that Firefox remembers for me it is really hard to switch.

Is there some kind of utility that can read the passwords file in Firefox format and store it in the keychain?

marc
29th March 2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by mechcon@Mar 29 2006, 06:22 AM
or even one.. load up a flash animation in safari, then make safari inactive (or visible) whilst you run another application or finder, notice the animation chugs along? camino dont do that!!!
That might be considered a feature and might be there intentionally.

There's not much point on wasting CPU on a window that you're not looking at.

mechcon
29th March 2006, 11:14 AM
what im saying is, is that camino, being a bit smoother than safari and runs a bit quicker too, allows you to render without lag/slowdown on both screens

sundance
29th March 2006, 12:05 PM
Approximately once a day, Camino locks up on certain web sites and the process has to be killed.

Does anyone else experience this?

froggy
29th March 2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by sundance@Mar 29 2006, 12:05 PM
Approximately once a day, Camino locks up on certain web sites and the process has to be killed.

Not for me!

Camino is definitely the most stable browser I have ever used.

Any examples of which web-sites cause lockup?

Cheers,
Andrew

forgie
29th March 2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by sundance@Mar 29 2006, 01:05 PM

What site is it? The only experience I have had with camino consistently locking up was on a site which had a corrupt Java applet.

Also, are you running a nightly build? General users shouldn't run nightly builds, they are beta releases not intended for the general public unless you know what it means to be a beta tester.

mechcon
29th March 2006, 02:15 PM
some myspace profiles causes lockups in camino that is