PDA

View Full Version : Reducing System Memory Usage?

cosmichobo
27th March 2006, 11:11 AM
G'day,

Back in the old days when I was a little tyke, I use to run OS 7 on a Mac Classic with 2Mb of RAM... That was after taking out every conceivable item from the System folder that was not required for the functions the Classic was capable of... (I think the min required RAM was meant to be about 4Mb? for OS 7).

So, here I am with my Pismo G3 powerbook with 128Mb of RAM... knowing my eMac is coming back soon... but wanting to help the Pismo's functionality (as cheapily as possible) as I'll still be using it at Uni...

What can I remove from the System Folder to make it use less RAM? There must be things I can do... and I'd rather do it with a bit of guidance as I've seen posts like, "I deleted a file and now my eMac wont let me in...".

Yep, I'm a penny pincher...

cheers

Travis

PS Have switched to Safari, and it's way quicker than Firefox on this machine...

Disko
27th March 2006, 11:16 AM
Close all open widgets, and don't use dashboard.

Thats my tip. :)

marc
27th March 2006, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I haven't seen anything like this done with OS X and I probably wouldn't advise it. I used to optimise my computer for music work when running OS 7/8/9. You could hack and slash at the extensions folder as much as you like (as long as you had a fair idea of what was going on). That just doesn't seem to be the case these days.

<boot disk>/Library/Extensions is probably the place to look. Be careful though.

purana
27th March 2006, 12:32 PM
Close applications that you aint using. Apart from that not alot more you can do, as OS X manages its memory on its own based on many factors. ie. It pages out and pages in stuff as required.

But you can help the situation by completely apple + q any applications that are open and are not needed.

That way applications you are using can use the real memory available and not suffer being swapped constantly (and causing the system to be io bound on the duty of this paging).

At the end of the day this is now a unix system with a unix kernel.

ruegen
27th March 2006, 12:34 PM
OS X?

You could always quit the Finder... as long as you have another program open.

I think you can also quit the shadows that surround the windows of programs.

gelfie
27th March 2006, 01:17 PM
In OS X free ram is wasted RAM.

Let it fill up as much as it likes. It&#39;s doing it to make sure you get the performance you need when you need it.