PDA

View Full Version : Time zone fix for 10.3.9

OddSocks
26th March 2006, 05:15 PM
As some of you may know, Mac OS had an incorrect transition to winter time for the eastern states of Australia. It changes one week later this year, because of the Commonwealth Games.

Now Apple provides an update (I think 10.4.5) for Tiger, but I'm running 10.3.9.

Apple say that for 10.3 one should just use System Preferences to temporarily pick a zone for some country in UTC + 11. That's inconvenient, and probably also impossible, since I know of no country other than us in that zone (and System Preferences doesn't actually display the hours ahead of UTC.)

So I hit the net and found that a few people were suggesting that the BSD timezone database file be replaced by the corrected public domain version, and the zic utility run to update /etc/localtime and the file it points to (/usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne). I did this on Friday morning.

This morning (Sunday) I checked the machine and found that although BSD utilities such as "date" are still in summer time, Cocoa applications like the Finder and Mail have incorrectly transitioned to winter time. In System Preferences, the analogue clock has correct summer time at UTC + 11 (I guess it isn't using Cocoa...); the clock in the menu bar is UTC + 10.

The Cocoa API accepts zic format data, so all I can think is that there it has cached the old copy somewhere. Does anyone know how to clear it?

BTW, the machine is less than a year old. I don't buy "unsupported" for basic functionality like time.

OddSocks
27th March 2006, 07:23 PM
No answers? I have a workaround at least.

In the System Preferences time zone box, type in "Etc/GMT-11". This will nail the zone to UTC + 11, but unfortunately also set the zone string to "GMT-11". Fortunately, almost no software displays the string any more.

Both the new "australasia" zic file and a simple test one I made with fixed UTC+11 work on Linux. It appears Cocoa looks at the value of the /etc/localtime symlink but thereafter just uses its own internal database. For example, the "UTC+11" zone I invented causes BSD date to work properly but the menu bar clock to immediately drop into GMT.

The Architect.mac
27th March 2006, 07:33 PM
Ok...

Welcome to ATAU...

froggy
27th March 2006, 08:04 PM
I'm confused. Even more than usual.

I'm running 10.3.9 too. I can't type anything that isn't offered as an option into the timezone box in System Preferences.

Andrew

vid
27th March 2006, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure if I am stating the obvious but I am also running 10.3.9 and I just thought I would adjust the time manually for a week and just "unchecked" the set auto box, is this going to cause any problems?

OddSocks
27th March 2006, 11:20 PM
Clicking in the timezone NAME box worked for me at one time, though I can't tell any more whether the system is shipped that way, as I have been fiddling as root. Anyway, whether as root or using sudo, the equivalent shell command is

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT-11 /etc/localtime

but if you can at all do it in the GUI there's less risk of a disastrous typo. Clicking on the map won't work.

"vid", yes this will cause problems. The Mac keeps its time as UTC (i.e. London winter time), so altering the clock means all your file times made this week will jump forward an hour next Sunday. The NTP server is not relevant since it's feeding you UTC.

froggy
28th March 2006, 07:24 AM
When I try your command in Terminal, I get:
ln: /etc/localtime: Permission denied

What next, please?

Andrew

Squozen
28th March 2006, 07:27 AM
Type the word 'sudo' in front of the command, mate.

froggy
28th March 2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks, Squozen.

I feel like a right fool now.

psyke
28th March 2006, 09:39 AM
So here I am on 10.3.9 and still having issues ... I imported the public domain timezone update file to tell my Mac about the extra week of Daylight savings.

It worked - a bit.

I am still collecting the time from a public NTP server (2.oceania.pool.ntp.org) which is fine. The Date & Time preference panel now shows the correct time, but the clock in the menu bar still shows an hour earlier!!

This is nuts. I've rebooted, changed all the settings and still the two clocks are different.

Even better - if I take the clock out of the menu to run in a window it will show the correct time, when I put it back in the menu bar it goes back an hour!

Nice one.

vid
28th March 2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by OddSocks@Mar 27 2006, 11:50 PM
"vid", yes this will cause problems. The Mac keeps its time as UTC (i.e. London winter time), so altering the clock means all your file times made this week will jump forward an hour next Sunday. The NTP server is not relevant since it's feeding you UTC.
If all it mean s that this week it tells me I modified a file or sent an email 1 hour later than I actually did think I can live with it.

spike@au
28th March 2006, 03:48 PM
Psyke, exactly the same problem here. its bazare to say the least, let alone a bloody pain

timace
29th March 2006, 10:33 PM
i saw the fix for this somewhere on the internets. as soon as i find it, i'll post it.