PDA

View Full Version : Grab

pipsqeek
6th February 2004, 03:58 PM
It was only in the last couple of days that someone here showed me a new (to me) key combination to take a grab my screen. I found that there is another one.

The key combination that was shown to me was Shift, Apple, 4, Space.

I found that this only takes shots of a certain window when you place the camera cursor over it.

Sometimes I wanted to grab the whole desktop. I found that by pressing Shift, Apple, 3 you get the whole desktop.

If you already know this, hooray. but unlike you, i didn't

Steve

the_argon
6th February 2004, 06:11 PM
As documented in Apple help (command + ?):

To take a picture of the whole screen, press Command-Shift-3.

To take a picture of part of the screen, press Command-Shift-4 then drag to select the area you want in the picture.

To take a picture of a window, menu bar, the Dock, or other area, press Command-Shift-4 then press the Space bar. Move the pointer over the area you want so that it's highlighted, then click. (If you decide you want to drag to select the area, press the Space bar again.)

If you press Command-Shift-4 and decide you don't want to take the screen shot, press the Escape key.

If you want to put the screen shot on the clipboard, rather than create a file, hold down the Control key when you press the other keys. You can then paste the picture into a document.

The picture is saved as a Preview PDF file on the Desktop. If you want the picture saved on the Clipboard, hold down the Control (ctrl) key with the keys shown above.

You can also take pictures of the screen using the Grab application (in the Utilities folder).

pipsqeek
6th February 2004, 07:29 PM
to this day I have been using "Grab" in the utils directory.

I should really read the "Help" shouldn't I...hmmm

Steve