PDA

View Full Version : Adobe on intel

speedway boy
26th March 2006, 07:43 AM
Damn it!

I have a pressing need to upgrade to now. I need a Tower G5 running adobe creative suite, after effects, final cut.
Thats all fine. But by the end of the year, everything will have changed to intel. The mac, the software etc. Yes OK, future versions will work on my powerpc, but will it be a sluggish thing as the code is converted? Will I have to put up with sluggish apps performance, just because the software in a year be written for intel? and not the powerpc chip?

I really hope this is not the case!!!!
:(

Dubhousing
26th March 2006, 07:45 AM
I'm running CS1 on the intel imac and can't really tell any speed difference between the imac and my G4 Powerbook.

Take the plunge!

marc
26th March 2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by speedway boy@Mar 26 2006, 07:43 AM
Will I have to put up with sluggish apps performance, just because the software in a year be written for intel? and not the powerpc chip?
I don't think so. There's separate code sections for each chip. Ie, one app, but an Intel code section, and a PPC code section. So, the PPC code should be fully optimised for PPC.

Also... The new Intel macs are very fast, but the G5s still rock. See some of the comparisons between the Intel iMac and G5 towers--the dual towers still win for most tasks.

Do you really need the G5 tower? An iMac might be a better choice if you want it to last longer.

Or maybe get a second hand tower to hold you over until the PowerMacs (Mac Pros!) are released later this year.

(Btw, I'm in a similar situation... I have to buy something that can take a few PCI cards, so I need a tower)