PDA

View Full Version : I just used Automator!

Aa
24th March 2006, 01:20 PM
Everything begins with a first step.

I found myself faced with the task of adding 2 different file extensions to the names of 25 or so filenames that i had copid over from a friends os9 machine.
I've been avoiding tackling automator because i figured it would take days of my time away for slim results.

How wrong was I?

10 minutes of fiddling around to understand the UI and BANG! - 2 new folders of perfectly renamed files. I've got the same feeling as I did when i learned how to click the service switch on Pacman at the corner shop when i was 11 :D

I think it's love.

melbmac
24th March 2006, 02:19 PM
I've never really given it much of a go.

About all I use it for is re-naming massive amounts of files so they are all nice and tidy.

Wheels
24th March 2006, 02:46 PM
I wanted to use it to create folders in folders but I could never get it to work so I've never bothered again.

timace
24th March 2006, 02:48 PM
There was a service switch on Pacman? :P

marc
24th March 2006, 03:05 PM
I love automator too. I'm in the "I mostly use it for renaming files" boat too. I need to try it for other things.

zootman
24th March 2006, 03:27 PM
I have always wanted to try automator out as well, but didnt really have a reason to use it !.
Then, a few weeks ago, I bought a linksys NSLU2 (aka slug) Network disk storage device. I have setup up some shares on it so my windows and mac have a common share point that is always on. I also backup to the SMB network share.

This is where I discovered them OS X disconnects SMB shares whenever it is put to sleep. Very irritating seeing as the Windows system does not (you just have to click on the disconnected share via explorer and the disconnected share automagically reconnects).

So, on OS X , automator to the rescue. A small script to click on and all the shares reconnect ok. I have also saved it as a ical plugin that is executed every day just prior to the the backups run via Backup.

Of course, it would be better if OS X didnt drop the SMB shares during sleep, but this is a relatively simple work around for me.

Cheers !

grainfed
24th March 2006, 03:44 PM
I just touched myself! Mmm

:)

Johnny Appleseed
24th March 2006, 04:12 PM
I, too, have done the "renaming file" workflow, along with one to mail items selected in the Finder (a la Windows).

Silver
24th March 2006, 05:45 PM
I find Automator annoying because of the relatively short time outs it has for actions. I was trying to batch process several format conversions and then sort the output directly. Automator timed out well before the conversions had been completed, meaning that the output was all over the place, and sorting had to be done manually. Bah.

Dubhousing
24th March 2006, 09:07 PM
Damn, I've just spent the morning doing repetetive boring actions. Anyone know of a good automator tutorial?

CoeurdeLyon
24th March 2006, 09:22 PM
So, on OS X , automator to the rescue. A small script to click on and all the shares reconnect ok.

Zootman, please can you share how you did this? I have been looking for a way to do this too as I usually leave my PowerBook closed during the day while I am at work and then have to reconnect the network drive in the evening for doing backups. Only recently upgraded to Tiger so not had much chance to play with Automator yet.

Thanks in anticipation.

benny gsr
24th March 2006, 10:30 PM
Zootman: Please explain how you did it.

I currently use automator to sync files between my ibook and imac, but still learning more. Just connect to the network, and one button press automatically means all my vital files remain synced and up to date on both macs !!

zootman
25th March 2006, 06:47 AM
Hi,

Pretty simple actually - no computer science here.................. :)

1/ Open the automator application.
2/ In the "finder" actions, drag "get specified servers" to the workflow window
3/ Add the urls for the servers you want from the connect to server dialog by clicking on the "+" that is just above the options triangle. You can click on the "show" button in the lower left corner of the next dialog to select the type of server to show - I selected "file servers". Select the shares you want from this dialog.
4/ In the 'finder" actions, drag "Connect to Severs" action to the workflow window. This is step 2 in the automator script.
5/ Save the script to your favourite folder. I chose desktop.
6/ Test it by clicking on the saved script - your shares should reconnect. I assume any authentication required has been saved in the keychain.
7/ You can then save the automator script (btw are they still called scripts or are they callled actions ?) as a iCal plugin if you want it executed at set times. From the automator application, choose file -> save as plug in. Choose iCal Alarm. iCal should launch and you can then choose the time and dates you want it run.

That about wraps it up. I hope my explanation isnt too vague. I wasnt sure how much detail to give, but I hope its enough. If you have any other questions feel free to ask !

I have attached my automator action here - never done an attachment before to a post so I hope it works ok !

cheers !

morpheme2004
25th March 2006, 09:25 AM
Personally I can never get automater to do anything useful, not even play a dvd (or even rename files!).

Must be doing something wrong...

timdotexe
25th March 2006, 09:42 AM
I use it for batch resizing images, although it does weird things somtimes. :huh:

Aa
25th March 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by timdotexe@Mar 25 2006, 09:42 AM
I use it for batch resizing images, although it does weird things somtimes. :huh:
Thats my next mission.

I have a dream of being able to manafacture some knd of stock website or some such crap. i don't know why, just cos i could i suppose.

andrewcod
25th March 2006, 07:21 PM
I love Automator, and use it for several things.
Firstly, I have it set up so that just before I wake up in the morning, it automatically updates my 5G iPod and then ejects it, so that whenever I'm on my way to school in the morning I always have an up to date playlist etc.

I also have it so that i can drag an image from the finder onto an Automator icon in the dock, and the image's standard JPEG icon is replaced with a thumbnail of the actual image.

All in all, Automator's great, however, like an earlier poster, I'd prefer it if its actions didn't timeout after such a short time.

feeze
25th March 2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by andrewcod@Mar 25 2006, 07:21 PM
I also have it so that i can drag an image from the finder onto an Automator icon in the dock, and the image's standard JPEG icon is replaced with a thumbnail of the actual image.

Do you know that in Finder, if you goto view-> show view options (command - j) there is an option to view image files as thumbnails :)

Squozen
25th March 2006, 07:32 PM
I use it for downloading galleries of... educational images from the coolios site. :P

andrewcod
25th March 2006, 07:44 PM
Hey...cool!
Makes browsing my iPhoto library through Finder so much simpler.

Thanks feeze! :thumbup:

Teh_Fonz
11th April 2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by zootman@Mar 25 2006, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Pretty simple actually - no computer science here.................. :)

1/ Open the automator application.
2/ In the "finder" actions, drag "get specified servers" to the workflow window
3/ Add the urls for the servers you want from the connect to server dialog by clicking on the "+" that is just above the options triangle. You can click on the "show" button in the lower left corner of the next dialog to select the type of server to show - I selected "file servers". Select the shares you want from this dialog.
4/ In the 'finder" actions, drag "Connect to Severs" action to the workflow window. This is step 2 in the automator script.
5/ Save the script to your favourite folder. I chose desktop.
6/ Test it by clicking on the saved script - your shares should reconnect. I assume any authentication required has been saved in the keychain.
7/ You can then save the automator script (btw are they still called scripts or are they callled actions ?) as a iCal plugin if you want it executed at set times. From the automator application, choose file -> save as plug in. Choose iCal Alarm. iCal should launch and you can then choose the time and dates you want it run.

That about wraps it up. I hope my explanation isnt too vague. I wasnt sure how much detail to give, but I hope its enough. If you have any other questions feel free to ask !

I have attached my automator action here - never done an attachment before to a post so I hope it works ok !

cheers !
this is friggen awesome. i made 2 of these workflows, saved them as apps. and then used quicksilver to make tirggers for them so all i do is hit alt+command+h for my home shares to mount and alt+command+w for my work shares to mount.

the only problem is unmounting them with automator.

i also have another problem. im wanting to automatically (when i say automatically i mean bind to a trigger in QS) sync a folder on my PC via an SMB share to a folder on my MAC. but only update what is new. it would only go one way (PC->MAC). however if i could make a workflow that updates both ways (ie. which ever file is most recent will be kept and copied) that would be awesome.

any help with this would be sweet. i can help someone with QS triggers if they can help me with my sync problem (and unmount problem too)
cheers

zootman
11th April 2006, 09:56 PM
Hi - If you want to unmount a share, then this can also be done with automator.

Just open up the automator application and

1/ In the "finder" actions, drag "get specified finder items" to the workflow window. Click on the + sign and choose the volume to be ejected.
2/ Drag the Eject disk item to the workflow window (make sure it is step 2!)
3/ Save the workflow as per my previous post....
4/ Away you go !

Hope this helps - cant really help with the QS stuff as I am not familiar with it.

In regards to your sync issue you might want to have a look at rsync. I know automator can call shell scripts so you might be able to work that in there some where.

Cheers

speedway boy
11th April 2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by timdotexe@Mar 25 2006, 09:42 AM
this sounds the business!
How do you do it?
Say I've got a folder of around 100 photoshop files. I want them resized to a specific emailable size (but the PSD's are varying size) in a jpg format

Is that possible?

I'm the kinda guy who never really got the actions working properly in PS. :rolleyes:

yitzyf
12th April 2006, 01:33 AM
I used it a few times for converting PDF pages to individual JPG files, then rename them from gibberish names to something useable and consecutive.

speedway boy
12th April 2006, 09:39 AM
well, since I've posted on this thread I've been getting no where fast.
I want to convert a bunch of PSD files to smaller jpgs. Seems to me a no brainer. But its not working for me.

I have followed a couple of different tutorials about converting photos and followed them to the letter. But it never converts them to jpg. It skips through my tasks, creates new files, renames them, but does not re-save them as jpgs or make them smaller.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

:(

Aa
12th April 2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by speedway boy@Apr 12 2006, 09:39 AM
I want to convert a bunch of PSD files to smaller jpgs. Seems to me a no brainer. But its not working for me.

Whhe you batch in photoshop, the problem is ofteen the jpeg dialogue box confusing the automated process. Perhaps if you make a 'droplet' from imageready it will avoid the problem.

Hope that helps.

marc
12th April 2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by speedway boy@Apr 12 2006, 09:39 AM
Have you tried dragging the images into mail and setting the little menu in the bottom right hand corner to "small" or "medium"?

What are you doing in automator? Where's it failing?

speedway boy
12th April 2006, 12:29 PM
It goes through the steps. But doesn't really 'stop and think' at the conversion step to jpgs or resizing. Just skips through but still giving the green light to say its done.

It should take a little while to resize a number of 3-5mg PSD files. But it just doesn't.

Is it because they are PSD files? I have tried a step to open them up in preview as well before resizing and conversion. But no luck. still picts at full wack at the end.

marc
12th April 2006, 01:05 PM
I just tried it... no luck with PSDs.

Everything worked 100% for me when using JPEGs though.

If you have PS, then maybe using actions might be better. Or starting with TIFFs.

Teh_Fonz
12th April 2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by zootman@Apr 11 2006, 10:56 PM
Hi - If you want to unmount a share, then this can also be done with automator.

Just open up the automator application and

1/ In the "finder" actions, drag "get specified finder items" to the workflow window. Click on the + sign and choose the volume to be ejected.
2/ Drag the Eject disk item to the workflow window (make sure it is step 2!)
3/ Save the workflow as per my previous post....
4/ Away you go !

Hope this helps - cant really help with the QS stuff as I am not familiar with it.

In regards to your sync issue you might want to have a look at rsync. I know automator can call shell scripts so you might be able to work that in there some where.

Cheers
thanks heaps for that..
will have a look @ rsync

cheers

Mark T
12th April 2006, 03:16 PM
To convert PSD files to JPG's you should be able to use Apple's Image Events which you can call in AppleScript. The Applescript code to convert an image is shown here (http://www.apple.com/applescript/imageevents/03.html) under the heading "File Conversion" near the bottom of the page.

I seem to recall using it successfully to convert a bunch of Nikon Raw files to Jpegs and it worked well.

iDaife
7th July 2006, 03:35 PM
I am pretty lost with Automator at the moment, and was wondering if it was possible for it to copy a specific type of file from a networked computer.

E.g. Copy all .pdf files from one computer and paste them onto the computer running automator.

How would I do this?!

Cheers, Dave

marc
7th July 2006, 04:05 PM
iDaife :: Sounds like a job for a smart folder.

stefanlod
7th July 2006, 04:45 PM
I got birthday dates off all my friends and added them into Address Book. Now I have a script that runs every day that checks for birthdays and sends a birthday email. And then I have a small AppleScript at the end that quits Address Book.

iDaife
7th July 2006, 07:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc &#064; Jul 7 2006, 04&#58;05 PM) 192794</div>

iDaife :: Sounds like a job for a smart folder.
[/b]

Hmm... I can&#39;t seem find &#39;smart folder&#39; in Automator. Is it another app that I have to d/l?

Thanks alot, Dave;)

P.S. I have already doen it all manually; it&#39;s just a matter of principle now lol

Aa
7th July 2006, 08:21 PM
Could be a job for a sticky thread methinks

lucious
7th July 2006, 08:54 PM
I used it for the first time the other night - I got it to launch Safari, and load Google.

I want some sort of &#39;Smart Action&#39; that searches the Net for references of the K800i.

Gotta keep on practising.

lenman74
16th July 2007, 04:01 PM
Anyone know how long the time out period is for automater.

I have 100 DVD's with short (5 seconds - 5 minutes) DV clips. I want automater to convert them to MP4's (H264) and add them to iTunes, one disc at a time.

I reckon that it might take some time for each clip to be converted. Would this time out issue be relevant?

Thanks
Len

I find Automator annoying because of the relatively short time outs it has for actions. I was trying to batch process several format conversions and then sort the output directly. Automator timed out well before the conversions had been completed, meaning that the output was all over the place, and sorting had to be done manually. Bah.