PDA

View Full Version : can iTunes use more than one folder

antechinus55
24th March 2006, 09:31 AM
I have a 160gb firewire external hdd as my iTunes music folder, but its getting full. If I buy another firewire hdd is there any way to have iTunes access more than one music folder, that is tell iTunes the music is in 2 places?

sao

yinyang
24th March 2006, 10:02 AM
you may have to use something like this...

http://homepage.mac.com/sroy/libra/

Mark T
24th March 2006, 10:09 AM
You may want to consider the option to "raid" two or more discs together thus creating one large volume. You can do this in Disk Utility.

thomas
24th March 2006, 11:39 AM
I believe if you de-select the "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" box in the Advanced preferences tab, it won't copy music to one central location. This allows you to keep the music wherever you like when you "Add to Library" as it won't copy it to the central store folder, rather access it at it's original location. I've had music in documents/music/desktop folders all being able to be played through iTunes. I don't see separate HDs being a problem, as long as they're always connected.

Quamen
24th March 2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by thomas@Mar 24 2006, 11:39 AM
I believe if you de-select the "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" box in the Advanced preferences tab, it won't copy music to one central location. This allows you to keep the music wherever you like when you "Add to Library" as it won't copy it to the central store folder, rather access it at it's original location. I've had music in documents/music/desktop folders all being able to be played through iTunes. I don't see separate HDs being a problem, as long as they're always connected.
YEP!

That's the way to do it. Works fine with external hard drives.