PDA

View Full Version : Vista Delayed yet again

xfodder
22nd March 2006, 10:30 AM
that's right boys and girls, microsoft's 'new' OS has been delayed yet again, i thought i would see vista before Leopard but the way things are going...who knows

Full Story here (http://news.com.com/Vista+debut+gets+delayed/2100-1016_3-6052270.html?tag=nefd.lede)

Disko
22nd March 2006, 10:34 AM
I love the quote on engadget
"While we&#39;re certainly frustrated that we won&#39;t be able to get our Vista-on for the holidays, we&#39;re gonna try to put a positive spin on the situation and appreciate the fact that we now have a little longer to decide which of the <s>eight</s> six flavors of the new operating system we&#39;ll be dual-booting on our Macs."

W2ttsy
22nd March 2006, 10:39 AM
what the article forgot to say was:

"we believe that Apple&#39;s Leopard OS, which should have a Developer Preview in mid August, will have some exciting new features we have to steal. We have devoted an extra block of development time so that we can get those features into vista.

As you can see, we are still perfecting the Aquaesque UI that we blatently stole from Apple&#39;s OS X, and we are still in the process of migrating that to the ugly UI of vista.

consumers wont be affected by this, as we are microsoft, and for some reason they keep buying our crappy software even tho it bites."

W2ttsy

iMick
22nd March 2006, 10:52 AM
MUAHAHAHAHAHAH

Microsoft: "We need more time to strip more functionality from the awesome-0 4000 windows you peasants will line up in droves to buy, so we can sell that stripped functionality back to you at a later time. Viva la Suckers&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;"

jeremy_warnock
22nd March 2006, 10:54 AM
now come guys you know there is no competion between apple and M&#036; - I mean how can there be Vista is only gonning to bring M&#036; up to speed with Tiger, so 10.5 will be so far advanced M&#036; will need to what to till 2010 to next release to catch up

grorr76
22nd March 2006, 11:01 AM
Microsoft New slogan Microsoft Anti Competition Anti progress, well keep selling you crap and youll keep buying it.

hawker
22nd March 2006, 11:14 AM
no it can&#39;t be true. No way, Vista dam you :P

fompsweeva
22nd March 2006, 11:28 AM
Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trogans
Adware

I love that.:)

ethania05
22nd March 2006, 11:29 AM
You guys are sad. Its Microsoft and they rule&#33; Its a few weeks and already had to make a big deal out of it.

hawker
22nd March 2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by ethania05@Mar 22 2006, 10:59 AM
You guys are sad. Its Microsoft and they rule&#33; Its a few weeks and already had to make a big deal out of it.
We&#39;re all really scared that Microshit is going to crush widdle mac :)

I mean UNIX as an OS, yeah right, like that&#39;ll work&#33;

NT core is so much better, never crashes, never has any issues...

The Fluffy Duck
22nd March 2006, 11:31 AM
OS vista ships&#33;&#33; In other news Man lands on Mars

iMick
22nd March 2006, 11:41 AM
We should run a poll on which Cat name MacOS X will have when a useable vista ships. I am pretty sure that it won&#39;t be a leopard. :lol:

Graham
22nd March 2006, 01:08 PM
I wonder what theme song they&#39;ll use for its release. &#39;The Twelfth of Never&#39; is looking good at the moment.

Bart Smastard
22nd March 2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Graham@Mar 22 2006, 01:08 PM
I wonder what theme song they&#39;ll use for its release. &#39;The Twelfth of Never&#39; is looking good at the moment.
There&#39;s a song called &#39;Sleep by Windows&#39; on Gary Numan&#39;s Telekon album from the early 80&#39;s. That could be appropriate :lol:

zillatron
22nd March 2006, 01:48 PM
:o I&#39;m SO suprised&#33;
I NEVER would have thought they would delay Longwait...umm Vista....

:rolleyes:
Z

hawker
22nd March 2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by zillatron@Mar 22 2006, 01:18 PM
:o I&#39;m SO suprised&#33;
I NEVER would have thought they would delay Longwait...umm Vista....

:rolleyes:
Z
Don&#39;t you mean Longhorn?

Bart Smastard
22nd March 2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Mar 22 2006, 02:12 PM
Don&#39;t you mean Longhorn?
:huh: Was that a joke. Or did you completely miss Zillatron&#39;s joke?

hawker
22nd March 2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Bart Smastard@Mar 22 2006, 01:49 PM
:huh: Was that a joke. Or did you completely miss Zillatron&#39;s joke?
This whole thread is a f##king joke :P

Exocet
22nd March 2006, 02:27 PM
Rain? ...in Octember&#33;?

MizuInOz
22nd March 2006, 02:46 PM
Everyone is aware that "Vista" means turkey or chicken in Romanian?

Go figure.

I read where VISTA will be Microsoft&#39;s last operating system - has anyone considered that they stil haven&#39;t published their first WORKING model. :P

Geez and I was hoping to give Vista to my windoze using business partner for the Holidaze...
Now I will have to just get him to switch. Damn&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

:ph34r:

something2sea
22nd March 2006, 03:21 PM
Now I will have to just get him to switch. Damn&#33;&#33;&#33;

What&#39;s so bad about that?? a better OS, no viruses, ect
he will gain from itů&#33;&#33;

mechcon
22nd March 2006, 03:23 PM
slightly off topic, but, from what i heard on panther&#39;s welcome screen and tiger&#39;s one too, I reckon the perfect one for 10.5 is

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy (from the album Campfire Headphase)

have a listen folks, I think would go well..

vista? --&#62; http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/noises.php

Paxton
22nd March 2006, 03:30 PM
I have to say that this is a pretty poor show from &#39;Big Red&#39;. Apple has not even half of their resources, and they can organize a workable OS, practically from the ground up, produce 5 (10.1-10.5) workable revisions, in the space of time it takes M&#036; to get to the stage of releasing a Service Pack.

Poor is an understatement. They had better hope that the OS works as well as it it poised to, Microsoft may loose more of its Marketshare to Apple.

eroda
22nd March 2006, 03:38 PM
Ting is apple will have 10.6out by the time vista is useable

hawker
22nd March 2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by eroda@Mar 22 2006, 03:08 PM
Ting is apple will have 10.6out by the time vista is useable
lets be realistic. Apple will have 10.8 out by the time Vista is useable&#33;

By that itme they&#39;ll be onto another OS :)

Graham
22nd March 2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Paxton@Mar 22 2006, 04:30 PM
Apple has not even half of their resources, and they can organize a workable OS, practically from the ground up
BSD and NeXT say hello :P

Paxton
22nd March 2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Graham@Mar 22 2006, 03:44 PM
I said Practically.

/me says hello back to NeXT and BSD.

iCameron
22nd March 2006, 04:12 PM
THE WHOLE WORLD IS A JOKE&#33;

NOTHNIG IS REAL&#33;

EVERYTHING IS A JOKE

*SPAM/SPAM/SPAM*

iSlayer
22nd March 2006, 04:16 PM
why cant they be more like George Bush

"its coming, We dont know when, We dont know how, But its coming"

eroda
22nd March 2006, 08:16 PM
ahahahahaa

xfodder
22nd March 2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Graham@Mar 22 2006, 04:44 PM
steve made neXT anyway so :P

i like the fact that apple used unix as the core....it let them focus on other things, microsoft is just stubborn, they think that their NT kernel is the best.

Currawong
22nd March 2006, 08:37 PM
I can just imagine:

Reporter: "Mr Gates, do you expect to have Windows Vista released by the time we&#39;ve landed men on Mars?"
Bill Gates: "*dumbfounded look*"

jastormont
22nd March 2006, 08:45 PM
Guys I am not trying to stick up for Microsoft when I say this, but I think this is no worse then some of things Apple has done in the past.

I love Apple I really do but I do get sick of everyone picking on Microsoft for everything that happens to the. Yes Microsoft have done some stuiped things but so has apple. They announce a new product and then we seem to have to wait about 3 months before we can get it just about every time they bring out something new.

I know Apple had to go Intel but lets be honest the transition is a pain process and there is noway it was not going to be. Yes they had to, and yes it was allways going to be hard. But I do feel Apple had rushed to get the new Intel macs out and this could be a bad move for people who spend all that money and do not understand how the transittion works.

I am not trying to dish Apple (I am trully not) but before you bagg the largest IT company you have to remember, Apple is the minority and Microsoft are the company that make the whole IT world stand up and listen and you have to respect that&#33;

marc
22nd March 2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jastormont@Mar 22 2006, 08:45 PM
I know Apple had to go Intel but lets be honest the transition is a pain process and there is noway it was not going to be.
Pain how?

You buy a new computer... everything works. Some things may work a little slower than they could. At the very, very worst, somethings had to be updated (only really an issue for people buying computers for the first 6 months of the transition).

Honestly, if no one told you that your new iMac had an Intel CPU, you probably wouldn&#39;t have even noticed. Hardly a pain.

visional_studios
22nd March 2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by jastormont@Mar 22 2006, 08:45 PM
Apple is the minority and Microsoft are the company that make the whole IT world stand up and listen and you have to respect that&#33;
Excellent point. I can understand why Microsofts OS takes a lot longer to develop then OSX, a hell of a lot more people use it, and rely on it for personal and business use than any other OS. I may be incorrect in saying this: But doesn&#39;t Windows have to support a massive array of hardware/software etc, once again, alot more than any other OS, I think it would be normal for that to slow development process drastically. Where OSX has limited hardware that it supports (CPU, Graphic cards etc). So all this "Windows will never be on par with OSX, in terms of features etc bla bla bla"
How about " Apple and OSX will never been on par with windows in terms of market share, and doesnt have the enormous task of redeveloping one of the most crucial tools in our current world society" Give them a break, a few weeks longer, come on...

I use OSX and WIN XP, both have their strong and weak points. I&#39;m really looking forward to Vista.

zbaron
22nd March 2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by visional_studios@Mar 22 2006, 09:03 PM
But doesn&#39;t Windows have to support a massive array of hardware/software etc, once again, alot more than any other OS
No. Out of the box, Windows has very poor hardware support. "Designed for Windows" means that the hardware manufacturer supports Windows, not the other way around.

feeze
22nd March 2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by visional_studios@Mar 22 2006, 09:03 PM
Excellent point. I can understand why Microsofts OS takes a lot longer to develop then OSX, a hell of a lot more people use it, and rely on it for personal and business use than any other OS. I may be incorrect in saying this: But doesn&#39;t Windows have to support a massive array of hardware/software etc, once again, alot more than any other OS, I think it would be normal for that to slow development process drastically. Where OSX has limited hardware that it supports (CPU, Graphic cards etc). So all this "Windows will never be on par with OSX, in terms of features etc bla bla bla"
How about " Apple and OSX will never been on par with windows in terms of market share, and doesnt have the enormous task of redeveloping one of the most crucial tools in our current world society" Give them a break, a few weeks longer, come on...

I use OSX and WIN XP, both have their strong and weak points. I&#39;m really looking forward to Vista.
Yeah, it may only be a couple of weeks on top of the previous schedule, but considering Vista was originally due to be released in late 2003/2004, some might say it&#39;s a little overdue. Also how many features now has Microsoft cut in order to get Vista shipping &#39;on time&#39;?

Yes Apple is a much smaller company, and yes Apple has a limited scope of hardware configuration. That&#39;s their business model. Many people have criticised Apple for this business model, but it works for them and it allows them to be a much more agile company.

Whereas Microsoft has a wide scope of hardware (although really not as wide as most people make out) That&#39;s their business model. And yes as a result they are not as nimble as Apple.

But, then again lets not forget that Microsoft is the world&#39;s largest software developer. They have bucket loads of cash and a large pool of talented developers and engineers at their disposal. A company like Microsoft should be able to manage a project like Vista with the resources available to them.

As for the comment about Windows being "one of the most crucial tools in our current society" what a bunch of tripe. The COMPUTER might be a important tool, but Windows certainty is not and modern society would function very much the same without it. And secondly if Windows was such a crucial part of our world, then we have even more reason to be pissed off that the crucial, revolutionary tools that were promised to us 2 years ago are being delayed AGAIN.

I too was looking forward to Vista, and no doubt when it does ship i will get a copy. Whether I go ohhh and ahhh we&#39;ll just have to wait and see. :)

hawker
22nd March 2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by jastormont@Mar 22 2006, 08:15 PM
Guys I am not trying to stick up for Microsoft when I say this, but I think this is no worse then some of things Apple has done in the past.
I take it you don&#39;t repair computeres / OS&#39;s etc :)

the_OM
23rd March 2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by feeze@Mar 22 2006, 10:29 PM
As for the comment about Windows being "one of the most crucial tools in our current society" what a bunch of tripe. The COMPUTER might be a important tool, but Windows certainty is not and modern society would function very much the same without it. And secondly if Windows was such a crucial part of our world, then we have even more reason to be pissed off that the crucial, revolutionary tools that were promised to us 2 years ago are being delayed AGAIN.
That&#39;s bullshit...... Microsoft brought the user interface and computers in general too the masses.

Apple decided to bundle hardware and software together and charge a premium for it, everyone else just fucked up completely (commodore etc..)........ Microsoft sold it cheaply to people who couldn&#39;t afford a mac, and they are where they are now.

Graham
23rd March 2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@Mar 23 2006, 10:15 AM
That&#39;s bullshit...... Microsoft brought the user interface and computers in general too the masses.
And a lot of studies over the years indicate that PCs have provided a total productivity increase in business of around 2%. Most of them run Windows. Draw your own conclusions :P

The main computing work in large organisations is still done on mainframes. That&#39;s mainly due to IBM (and their history of monopolistic practices which makes Microsoft look as pure as the driven).

Granny Smith
23rd March 2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Mar 23 2006, 09:15 AM
In the same way Henry Ford brought cars to the masses - but it took someone else to perfect them.

grorr76
23rd March 2006, 12:53 PM
if osx was allowed to be put on pc , what would the implications be, itd be interesting if itd outselll windows. yeah its better osx x but would it outsell windows

jerrah
23rd March 2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Mar 23 2006, 09:15 AM
Microsoft brought the user interface and computers in general too the masses.
Ignoring the fact that corporates bought IBM pc&#39;s in droves:

I believe the private sector explosion of IBM compatible microsoft based machines was driven by the cheap availabilty of build yourself hardware (apple were always more expensive) - possibly driven by passed down hardware from corporates as well as the massive software piracy scene in the 80&#39;s and early 90&#39;s.

People were buying pc&#39;s because of the raft of cheap software (games - cheap being pirated) that they were getting off their friends etc.

If there was no pirated software swapping I believe we&#39;d all be using Amiga&#39;s or something now.

So my point was, Microsoft brought computers to the masses via piracy (not that they wanted it that way) and now the masses buy windows because it&#39;s what they&#39;ve used in the past.

[/ramble]

jerrah
23rd March 2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by grorr76@Mar 23 2006, 12:53 PM
if osx was allowed to be put on pc , what would the implications be, itd be interesting if itd outselll windows. yeah its better osx x but would it outsell windows
Even if you could buy "OSx for generic x86" I don&#39;t think it would outsell windows.

mechcon
23rd March 2006, 01:17 PM
bentleys will never outsell holdens :P