PDA

View Full Version : Linux on Mac, can you use PC hardware?

bergerac
21st March 2006, 07:24 PM
Hi

I just picked up and old G3 300mhz Server and I was thinking of putting Linux on it. The thing I was wondering was if I were to put a PCI ATA RAID card into the mac that had only Windows and Linux drivers would that work OK under Linux? I'm assuming its only the drivers that prevent you using PC only PCI cards in a mac since the hardware is mostly the same underneath.

jeremy_warnock
21st March 2006, 07:33 PM
at a guess I would say - itll work fine -its would be if the motherboard didnt work with it

eroda
21st March 2006, 09:00 PM
nothign wrong with the os side, its just if the card supports the macs firmware thats on the logic board

mac_man_luke
21st March 2006, 09:05 PM
It might work but i doubt it will be bootable

BiRDBRAiN
22nd March 2006, 02:08 AM
Some Linux drivers can be x86 specific.

Best to buy hardware supported directly by the Linux distro.

Byrd
22nd March 2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by bergerac@Mar 21 2006, 08:24 PM
Hi

I just picked up and old G3 300mhz Server and I was thinking of putting Linux on it. The thing I was wondering was if I were to put a PCI ATA RAID card into the mac that had only Windows and Linux drivers would that work OK under Linux? I'm assuming its only the drivers that prevent you using PC only PCI cards in a mac since the hardware is mostly the same underneath.

It will simply not work - the Open Firmware of the mac doesn't support the BIOS calls that PC hardware does. Any PPC version of Linux that you install will only run hardware that has specific Mac support for. If what you're saying is possible, there would be thousands of PPC Macs using generic off-the-shelf PC hardware - but there isn't.

JB

hawker
22nd March 2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Mar 22 2006, 01:38 AM
Best to buy hardware supported directly by the Linux distro.
Work out what Linux you are going to use, then google or look through their forums and see if the card is supported - they usually have a list!

eroda
22nd March 2006, 09:29 AM
its not a question of os like i siad its the firmware, if the card is supported by the firmware then you have to think about os

bergerac
22nd March 2006, 09:30 AM
Thought it might be a long shot. Its a pity its so hard to find RAID cards for macs, I've got two 160GB HDDS here waiting to go into a fileserver, this would have been perfect.

Byrd
22nd March 2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by bergerac@Mar 22 2006, 10:30 AM
Thought it might be a long shot. Its a pity its so hard to find RAID cards for macs, I've got two 160GB HDDS here waiting to go into a fileserver, this would have been perfect.
As a short-term solution, software RAID could be a possibility. Keep your eyes out, there might be PC flashable ATA cards out there.

JB

BiRDBRAiN
22nd March 2006, 10:30 AM
I agree with Byrd.

A software RAID setup might be the way to go. :thumbup:

bergerac
22nd March 2006, 12:47 PM
Still would have to find an ATA100 card for the mac which aren't really easy to come by either.