PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Netware Client

decryption
4th October 2004, 10:33 AM
I want to use my iBook at Swinburne to access my network drives and such, but to do that I need to log in via Novell Netware, does anyone have a Netware client for Mac OS X?
Thanks.

Alessiman
4th October 2004, 10:59 AM
What version of Netware are Swinburne running?

Versions 5 and above of Netware have Native File Access avaliable so in theory you should never need a login client to access the Netware server from your Mac. Also if LDAP authentication is enabled at the Netware side you can access the Netware server from your finder

It's Finder -> Network -> Servers etc

BTW the client (if needed) is by a company called prosoft but its long out of date since Novell went open protocols

I have a whitepaper on how its all set up floating around. I'll email you that (and some other "pics") offline when I find them

Henry

decryption
4th October 2004, 11:06 AM
Ahh, cool :)
I'm pretty sure they use Netware 5, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the info Alessiman, I'll try it out when I'm on a break.

decryption
4th October 2004, 01:39 PM
I tried it out, but don't see any Novell servers in the Network finder. Am I doing something wrong?

Alessiman
4th October 2004, 01:49 PM
You are doing it correctly

Native File Access needs to be installed on the NetWare Servers though in order for you to see them.

Your best bet is to talk to the I.T guys that look after the network

And I just confirmed. Native File Acess is set by default with Netware 6.5

Good luck.

Henry

Apollo
8th October 2004, 05:26 AM
I use the Prosoft client as I have a range of OSX boxes on our netware 5.1 network. The client works well but it is expensive. Go to prosofteng.com and havea look at the comparisons as their website is pretty comprehensive. I can say that they respond to problems very quickly and have even incorporated my feedback into their product, they really are client focussed.
Cheers
Mike