PDA

View Full Version : PC question

owl
18th March 2006, 10:36 PM
Having recently bought a DELL notebook with Win XP home, I have re-partitioned and installed it with only XP Pro. However, when booting up it comes with a dual boot manual to choose from either XP Home or XP Pro. I wonder how I can get rid of the dual boot manual (or get rid of the "XP home" item) and allows it to boot into XP Pro automatically without the need to wait or press enter.

Thanks
owl

hawker
18th March 2006, 10:38 PM
I've been gagged by Currawong on this topic, as he knows best!

purana
18th March 2006, 10:51 PM
Think its control by the boot.ini on the OS that was first installed... As the boot loader you see is similar to the old NT4 and Windows 2000 type arrangement.

See if that file exists, and dont make changes until you confirm if I am correct. Then do some google searches to see what others recommend.

I dont have a system I can test it on atm.

Currawong
18th March 2006, 10:56 PM
In the System control panel, one of the tabs has a button that leads to a listing of OS'es to list on boot, and their locations. If you've, say, installed a copy of Windows in a new directory and deleted the old one, you can delete the listing at boot (and switch off the listing altogether) there.

purana
18th March 2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Mar 18 2006, 10:56 PM
In the System control panel, one of the tabs has a button that leads to a listing of OS'es to list on boot, and their locations. If you've, say, installed a copy of Windows in a new directory and deleted the old one, you can delete the listing at boot (and switch off the listing altogether) there.
Hrmm that rings a bell, Right Click My Computer on your desktop (or from within Windows Explorer). Then select Properties. Then on one of the tabs it will have what Curra is talking about. I recall this also.

owl
18th March 2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks Currawong & purana

I've found that tab under my computer and changed it.

:D
owl

purana
18th March 2006, 11:37 PM
Sweet, 2 heads are better then one :)

eroda
19th March 2006, 03:13 AM
start > run > msconfig in ther should be boot tab you might be able to remove it from there my checking the boot paths