PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.5 Update

mergatroid
17th March 2006, 06:03 PM
I just updated to 10.4.5 only to discover that finder doesn't start properly... Instead of the menubar mini icons where the clock, bluetooth, airport etc used to be I get blank space. A spinning beach ball appears when I hover the cursor over the area that they should be in. And the quicksilver icon and other third-party menu icons load fine. Just not any that are tied with a pref pane...

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this, please? :huh:

tommelbourne
17th March 2006, 07:04 PM
Have you installed the Security Update 2006-002 1.1? I was having a similar issue, did that update and it solved the problem for me. Might have just been a coincidence, but worth a try nonetheless!

The update should be in your Software Update.

W2ttsy
17th March 2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Mar 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Have you installed the Security Update 2006-002 1.1? I was having a similar issue, did that update and it solved the problem for me. Might have just been a coincidence, but worth a try nonetheless!

The update should be in your Software Update.
it was the security update that did the same to my laptop, as what happened to the OP.

you cant get to the software update menu, so you cant update to the new patch.

you may be able to boot off the CD and restore permissions, otherwise i think an archive and install will be needed....

W2ttsy

Al Aero
17th March 2006, 09:15 PM
you can get to software update threw sys preferences

al

mergatroid
18th March 2006, 12:03 AM
I can get to the software update with no problems - and everything is running fine except for the few menubar items which are failing to load. I have installed the security update and that hasnt helped :(

Its not a massive problem, its just really annoying!

If it helps, I have a G4 powerbook...

Currawong
18th March 2006, 11:34 AM
The menu bar items on the right are loaded by a program called SystemUIServer. You probably have prefs for this in your ~/Library/Preferences folder called "com.apple.systemuiserver.plist" which you could try removing, at least temporarily, to see if it fixes things.

mergatroid
18th March 2006, 02:04 PM
Well, its definitely a problem with SystemUIServer - thanks for narrowing it down, Currawong :).

I have tried removing the prefs and quitting and re-starting the process, all to no avail. Is there any other way to fix it? :unsure:

asterix031
22nd March 2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by mergatroid@Mar 17 2006, 06:03 PM
I just updated to 10.4.5 only to discover that finder doesn&#39;t start properly... <snip>

After the recent updates my finder doesn&#39;t quite work at all. If I try and open a folder thats on the desktop (for example) all folders disappear (but their names remane in view) and only reappear when the spot they are meant to be is single clicked to select it.

If I try and open Finder itself, the same thing occurs to all the folder on the desktop. Completely puzzled here...

Added: Further note: I&#39;ve had time to finally pay further attention to its behaviour. Each time I try and "launch" finder it restarts itself.

rooread
22nd March 2006, 07:29 AM
...... and mail won&#39;t open safari when you click on a link unless safari is already running.

Silver
22nd March 2006, 08:18 AM
Apparently, this problem can be linked to having installed FrontRow in the wrong way. (If you&#39;re Mac doesn&#39;t support it).

bennettnz
22nd March 2006, 08:41 AM
Thank goodness other people are having problems with 10.4.5 - I thought it was just me&#33; Yes the finder seems to be pretty jumpy - I am constantly watching spinning beachballs and restarting my machine from the power button- especially when the finder is about to preview a document... also it has an annoying habit of simply quitting out of an application at random times...

I have run Applejack and also taken out some RAM that I suspected of being abit dodgy however it is too soon to say that any of this has made a difference...

Don&#39;t Apple test these things?

admiral31
22nd March 2006, 12:32 PM
I am about to update from 10.4.2 (so I can install iLife 6 on my G5 iMac). Some of these problems sound a bit annoying....should I just do the combo update to 10.4.4?

Currawong
22nd March 2006, 12:40 PM
Have you all installed the newer version of the Security Update? Apparently the first version of the second update broke a few features.

mergatroid
22nd March 2006, 03:49 PM
I just installed the second security update... It has had no influence on the problame at all :cry: I think it might be a time to do a clean install. And combo update to 10.4.4 :(