PDA

View Full Version : How do I install os9 on a 10.3.9 g4 for Classic?

GeorgeZ
16th March 2006, 09:10 PM
hi folks, i'm a new g4 owner after many years of powermacs... and am desperate for any advice to help out.

I was dissapointed to discover the previous owner may have wiped or never installed os9/Classic environment.

currently is running 10.3.9
i have original 9.0 installation disc available and the upgrade files to 9.1 / 9.2.1 / 9.2.2

how do i now ressurect Classic on this system?
I would prefer not to have to wipe/format and start from scratch.

many thanks in advance.

applecollector
16th March 2006, 09:15 PM
Hello,

Format the HDD and install OS 9 the do the update to 9.2.2 then install OS X Panther Over it update panther if you wish and config it in the System Preferences so it can boot (Under Classic menu) once it finds the system folder automatically (os 9 one) boot it and then it will come up with a few dialogs or you to update the system click yes then it should work in no time.

Note: Classic will only run if it's updated to 9.2.2 in panther.

Also you could just drag a copy of the system folder of a computer thats running os 9.2.2 on to the panther running mac and still do the config in the system preferences and then it should boot.

Hope it helps
Good Luck

g3monster
16th March 2006, 10:51 PM
Umm Most powermacs wont boot mac os 9.0...They need 9.1 or higher...also anything above a QS 2002 cant boot os 9 full stop.(Oh the irony :D )

GeorgeZ
17th March 2006, 04:45 AM
thanks applecollector....

i forgot to mention I have a spare hard drive on the g4...maybe i could use that to install os 9? then copy to first drive?

the other problem is that I only have the panther discs and not the updates, and only have dial up internet at home. the updates would take me ages!

thanks again.
GZ

applecollector
17th March 2006, 07:27 AM
If you need major panther updates i have them.
For a small fee i could send them to you?
Pm me

mart
17th March 2006, 09:11 AM
I had to re-install classic recently on 2 macs. These were running 10.4 so I'm not sure if the same procedure will work, but it's really easy. Some of the recent iMac's (either G5 or Intel, I can't recall) came with a classic installer on a seperate CD.

If you can find someone with one or find it 'somewhere else' ;) it's just a matter of running the installer.

Mart

GeorgeZ
17th March 2006, 06:25 PM
thanks folks, appreciate your kind offers....let's see how i go huh?

GeorgeZ
19th March 2006, 10:14 AM
hi folks,

update for you...have reinstalled osx 10.3 -10.3.9 and alas, no classic folder.

have tried booting from os9 disc, but system freezes at startup with a grey screen.

no joy!

wonder why system won't boot so i can first intall os9 then update to os10.3.9 so i should to get classic?

...hmmmmm

vicmeldrew
19th March 2006, 05:56 PM
I did this recently after installing 10.3. on a G4 iMac. I moved the OS 9 system file and OS 9 applications to the HD. I had extracted (shift/control/G then type .images) these files from a eMac software restore disc. I would imagine that the same files are on the OS 9 start up disc.

After opening an OS 9 application OS10 then made some adjustments to these files which included putting a 9 on the OS folder.