PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto backup to iPod

gilligan911
15th March 2006, 11:48 AM
Has anyone used their iPod to backup photos and then had to restore them? What I want to know is whether or not the iPhoto metadata (name, keywords, star ratings, etc) stays with the file and will still be there if you import the file from the iPod back to iPhoto? Or will I just have IMG_1234.jpg and nothing else?

Why do I want to know this? Because the same day I went to buy an external hard drive to back up my files, the internal hard drive on my iMac decided to crap itself - how's that for timing? Fortunately I had burnt DVD's of my downloaded apps and all of my music and photos (full resolution versions) were backed up on my iPod as well as my wife's so I have not lost anything important - just hours and hours of editing time in iMovie... :cry:

But, when I get my iMac back (very soon I hope!) I don't want to have to sort through 1300 photos, renaming them, adding keywords and separating them into rolls all over again. So, I am hoping someone will tell me it is as simple as copying them back into the newly restored iPhoto and all the info will still be there. If not then I have a very tedious couple of days ahead...

I can't check what is actually saved with the files on my iPod at the moment as I don't have a Mac to connect it to until mine is back from repair.

Thanks.

aussiedeano
15th March 2006, 11:55 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....I upgraded to iLife 06 the other day. Before hand I put all my photos onto the iPod, then transferred back. Not only did I not have folders or named photos, in the re-transfer process I lost a whole bunch of photos. When I try to import them it says they are corrupted and can't import. So they are sitting on my iPod, and i can view them in Preview, but can't see them in iPhoto.

Sorry to ruin your day.....I think they need to fix iPhoto so that any upgrades automatically transfer everything as it is on the previous iPhoto, to save people getting frustrated. In iTunes every new update saves your folders, why can't iPhoto do the same?

Deano

leharicot
15th March 2006, 12:26 PM
when i upgraded to Ilife O6 it just ugraded the iLife package. Al photos, folders, metadata, etc was kept. I of course had an external backup, but it was not needed.

if you want to do a proper backup, so you can retore to the point you were at (rather than just make a duplicate set of some files) then you need a backup program. like Backup 2.

aussiedeano
15th March 2006, 12:33 PM
That's good to know, but why can't it just restore it to the way it was, like in iTunes? And there should be a caution before proceeding that says you need to do a proper backup, not just a duplicate like I've done. Never knew you could do that. But I guess I am the lowest common denominator, don't know enough about doing this sort of thing.

Hope yours works out better than my 2 previous attempts, gilligan911! If you did the proper backup instead of what I did, you should be fine!

gilligan911
15th March 2006, 02:05 PM
Hmmm. Doesn't sound promising. The photos on the iPods are there as a result of checking the "include full resolution photos" box in iTunes - not from a "proper" backup. Oh well, at least I still have the photos themselves.

By the way, when I went from iLife 05 to 06 it was the same for me as it was for leharicot - just updated everything and all was good - albums, rolls and metadata all intact.

I'll let you know how it turns out when I get my iMac back.

gilligan911
20th March 2006, 07:53 PM
Got the iMac back last Friday - four day turnaround at Infinite Systems in Brisbane so I was pretty happy with that. Bad news is I can confirm that the "copy full resolution photos to iPod" option in iTunes only puts a copy of the basic file onto the iPod - none of the extra info entered in iPhoto goes with it. Still, at least all 1300 photos were there and were imported into the freshly re-installed iPhoto 6 without a hitch. Only took about 6 hours work over the weekend to re-organise them and add the info again...

By the way, when it comes to restoring music after a hard drive crash iPodRip (http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip) is the duck''s guts. It copied all music, videos and podcasts as well as metadata while keeping my old playlists intact as well. Highy recommended. :thumbup:

And I have learnt my lesson - no relying on the iPods anymore - everything is now backed up on my new LaCie D2 external drive...

Cheers.