PDA

View Full Version : connecting to a network drive

Saggas
15th March 2006, 08:52 AM
hey, how do i connect to a local network drive under mac os X, I can in windows quite easily, but I can't seem to connect my ibook to the same network drive.

hawker
15th March 2006, 08:53 AM
Either on finder go to:

"Go > network" and look around for the computer

or if you know the IP addy:

"Go > Connect to Server" and type it in and try and connect.

Saggas
15th March 2006, 09:07 AM
I tried connecting to the DNS of the server, because I need to actually need to my user.
eg. servername.edu.au/myuser
then it prompts me for my password.
so im not sure exactly how to connect via the IP, because then I wouldn't be in any temp drives.

hawker
15th March 2006, 09:12 AM
I take it the "network" drives are on a computer or server? if so you need to connnect to that system before you can connect to the drives... For instance, I have the two hard drives in my Server G4 on my iMac Desktop at all times. To connect to them, I have to navigate tothe g4 server in the network section, and then the hard drives come up as a shared option. So I connect to them... Make sense?

Saggas
15th March 2006, 09:24 AM
makes sense.
when I try the go -> connect to server
type in the correct address it says the server does not exist or is not available.
yet when i connect on the p4 it works perfectly every time.

hawker
15th March 2006, 09:28 AM
what happens when you search for the computer under "Go > network"

Does it show up?

eroda
15th March 2006, 09:33 AM
i have another question reguarding shares,

when you connect to a server and pick up the shared folder is there a way to get os to reconnect on system restart ie like windwso does with its shared folders when you log into a domain

*no hyjack*

also im unsure mayby hes trying to say he has to log into the domain to gain access to these shared folders like domain shares? if so mayby create a user account that you use to log into windows domain etc?

iMick
15th March 2006, 09:39 AM
What type of computer are you connecting to? In some instances a mac cannot connect to a Windows 2003 server at all due to certain group policy elements.

Like above, you have to remember that connecting shares in a mac is opposite to windows, in the mac you have to authenticate before you see the shares, in windows you authenticate after you see the says (assuming a workgroup)

eroda
15th March 2006, 09:40 AM
for me im talking about simple sharing from my windows lan box to my macs
its annoying having to reconnect every time

hawker
15th March 2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by eroda@Mar 15 2006, 09:03 AM
when you connect to a server and pick up the shared folder is there a way to get os to reconnect on system restart ie like windwso does with its shared folders when you log into a domain
Add them to your login items under accounts in system prefs :) and if you don't want the password to come up every time, make sure you add it to keychain!

antechinus55
15th March 2006, 09:44 AM
can we get a bit more information saggas. What exactly are you trying to connect to? Is is a server maintained by someone else (your employer?)? What operating system is it running?
If I assume its a windows machine of some sort, the standard networking protocol is SMB/CIFS (same thing). I assume that at the server end the resourses you want to access are shared, as you can get to them via PC. Macs come with SAMBA (the open source SMB/CIFS program) installed and enabled by default. In the connect to server dialog you should be able to type:
smb://serverIPaddress
which should bring you up a list of shares/folders/drives that are available to you.
But it MAY depend on how the server is configured. I haven't played with Active Directory from M$ (its on my list of things to do) but I have set up a samba server, that had very restrictive policies about who could log on. In other words the server may not allow your mac to log in. In which case you would need to speak to thesystem administrator.
You could start by searching both the M$ and apple knowledge bases for samba and smb/cifs etc.

sao

antechinus55
15th March 2006, 09:47 AM
thanks hawker, you solved one small problem for me (network drives). silly really I start other things on startup.

sao

Saggas
15th March 2006, 09:48 AM
when i go 'network' im part of a university network which is massive currently I can't find the server. But i remember on my p4 I can't find it either, Only by typing the domain name. Its a linux based machine.

Saggas
15th March 2006, 09:53 AM
antechinus55, sorry I should have provided more information.
its a server ran by the the computing faculty in my universtiy. Its a linux based server, each student of this faculty has computing temp drive. Which when we log onto the windows based terminals in the lab, it brings up our temp drive.
I live on campus so im part of the local, I can connect to it on any of my windows xp machines simply by going 'make network drive' then in the address typing
//servername.edu.au/username then it prompts me for my labs password.
it then creates a temp drive icon under 'my computer' and stays connected until i reboot.

antechinus55
15th March 2006, 09:57 AM
then its running samba, probably as a domain controller for the netowrk. If this is the case your mac will probably have to have a machine account in samba and you will need a user account, both of which will need to be unique. I assume you have a user account. I'm only guessing, but samba probably knows about the p4 but not about the mac. Time to speak to IT support.

sao

antechinus55
15th March 2006, 10:10 AM
they have set up roaming profiles on the server, (I assume you get your desktop no matter what machine you log in from).
One thing I did not mention and I do not know how to change in osx. By default macs belong to a workgroup called 'workgroup', which is the default M$ name as well. all very well and good, except the university almost certainly has a domain with a unique domain name. In other words, the client is not in the same group as the server.
a quick search of linux forums suggests:
smb://yourusername@serverIPaddress to connect.

sao

antechinus55
15th March 2006, 10:29 AM
heres a link to the discussion. About 2/3 way down one of the posts has the config file for the mac. this may help.
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/...sb=5&o=&fpart=1 (http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB12&Number=351250&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

sao