PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Entourage 2004

rEEzA
15th March 2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Guys and Girls,

Can anyone tell me if you can buy Microsoft Entourage as a separate package (buy it self) with out having to buy Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac? And if so where abouts from.

You see we have moved our mail server over to Exchange at work and the Mac guys are having a real pain connecting to the server with the Mac mail app in OSx 10.3. But I know Entourage works fantastic with Exchange, but for the 3 Mac we have at work they don't really want to spend the money on 3 copies of Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac just for Entourage.

Cheers,

rEEzA

decryption
15th March 2006, 08:42 AM
The only way to get Entourage is with Office. Looks like you're outta luck :(

eroda
15th March 2006, 08:44 AM
entaurage isnt that good, use thunderbird, once its gets some new features it will be direct competition fo MS software like outlook etc

hawker
15th March 2006, 08:49 AM
History:

actually you use to be able to get it by itself, back in the day. But they decided to merge it all into one. You can pick up the latest office package education for only $250... However, eroda is right, with the future direction of Thunderbird, you are better off getting that ;)

BiRDBRAiN
15th March 2006, 08:50 AM
If you aren't hardcore users of the shared calendaring in Outlook/Exchange then you can just use the IMAP protocol off the Exchange server and use pretty much any email client you want to.

rEEzA
15th March 2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. With the current Thunderbird will it support Exchange or only IMAP?

As for getting the office package education edition, that would be a cheap why to go but being educational edition do think I can use that at work.

Also we don't do shared calendars at the moment but that will be implement with in the year.

decryption
15th March 2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Mar 15 2006, 08:49 AM
You can pick up the latest office package education for only $250...
No good for someone that isn't a student or a teacher. Otherwise it's $650 a pop for the entire suite.

decryption
15th March 2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by rEEzA@Mar 15 2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. With the current Thunderbird will it support Exchange or only IMAP?

As for getting the office package education edition, that would be a cheap why to go but being educational edition do think I can use that at work.

Also we don't do shared calendars at the moment but that will be implement with in the year.
Thunderbird doesn't support Exchange fully, just IMAP. Shared calendars probably won't be supported in Thunderbird anytime soon.

Thunderbird is great if all you need is a mail client, but with an Exchange server, to use the exchange features, it's useless.

BiRDBRAiN
15th March 2006, 09:28 AM
I would download the trial version of Office 2004 for Mac from www.mactopia.com (I think thats it).
Mac Office 2004 Test Drive download (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/office2004/office2004.xml&secid=4&ssid=1&flgnosysreq=True)

You will find it doesn't support the full feature set as does the Outlook version, thanks to the M$ proprietary calendaring.

Just don't want to see you get your hopes up in regards to the calendaring features on Mac.

I found that none of my previous scheduled events worked. But future events seemed to be ok. But definitely not worth going into Entourage until you've tried it out.

I personally don't like Exchange and think an iCal based solutiong, which is an open standard would be better. I often rant to people how "locked in" companies get when they tie themselves down to using Exchange.

EDIT: Added link to Office 2004 test drive download

iMick
15th March 2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Mar 15 2006, 09:28 AM
You will find it doesn't support the full feature set as does the Outlook version, thanks to the M$ proprietary calendaring.
You will find that with the latest service pack, Entourage 2004 is finally a full outlook replacement with shared calendaring, scheduling and delegation FINALLY!

BiRDBRAiN
15th March 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah I just noticed it when I was looking for the test drive download link.

I'm pretty sceptical, but I really hope its true.

Just updating my installation now. :thumbup:

iMick
15th March 2006, 09:45 AM
I can vouch that it does work as advertised. When I got my group calendar appointment about friday beers I was stoked!! :)

The only problem is that I have to entourage now. Hard going from the usability of tiger's mail back to entourage.

peajay
15th March 2006, 11:17 AM
I work at a University which I think uses Exchange 2003, and in my immediate office we are unable to get Entourage's ( 2004 V. 11.2.1) shared calendering to function between us few lucky mac enthusiasts and our PC colleagues... have been told that exhnage shared calendaring won't be possible until the new Office 2006 is released.

Maybe the Uni's IT advice is wrong... I would love some advice to the contrary if anyone in a similar envirnment can infact get calendar sharing to work!

p

BiRDBRAiN
15th March 2006, 11:29 AM
Calendar invites have always worked.

Its just that you can't open another users calendar like you can in Outlook. If they've added that then maybe I'm missing something.

Without this its not really platform neutral yet.

GENX
15th March 2006, 12:37 PM
Off the topic slightly... how can I obtain calenders of hoildays and sporting fixture's etc etc... like iCAL ones?

Using Entourage also... Much better then Mail and iCal.

rEEzA
15th March 2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies.

I use Entourage 2004 at home and with exchange and It works great. Dose most things if not everything Outlook does, that's why I recommended it for work.

But anyway I've installed Thunderbird and enabled IMAP4 on the server and it's working fine and the Mac guys are happy with that.. So that was a good saving.

So thanks again for your help.

Cheers

rEEzA.

Currawong
15th March 2006, 07:56 PM
I have the opposite problem, I find Mail to be unusuable, and Entourage excellent if you take advantage of the Rules and Views. It's also the only app that has a good feature set for complex repeating events and repeating reminders.