PDA

View Full Version : Apple shares - do you have any?

Febs
1st October 2004, 01:16 AM
'lo all. :)

Just wondering if anyone here owns any Apple stock, and if so - what did you buy it for?

A few years ago I bought around 50 shares @ $20.50USD (I was only 17 at the time). I always said that if they ever doubled (ie: hit $41USD), I'd sell half (recovering a majority of my investment, while still keeping ~25 shares).

They've been steadily rising over the last few weeks, and (if the current trend continues) should hit $41USD in the not-too distant future.

The Australian dollar has also risen over the past few years, and I've had to pay account fees etc...but I still should be able to recover a large chunk of my investment by selling half of them.

I'm not here asking for financial advice :P....just wondering if anyone else has some, what they bought them for, and when they'd be willing to sell them.

I'll always hang on to at least some Apple stock - just to say I own a small piece of Apple. :) :P

Cheers,
- Febs.

hawker
1st October 2004, 08:09 AM
Nope... But if you want to share some around, please do :lol:

Lucas
1st October 2004, 11:29 AM
Hi - I don't have any shares in Apple but I was wondering how you went about buying US shares? Did you use something like etrade or a broker - Are there restrictions for Australians buying US shares.

Febs
1st October 2004, 11:44 AM
I just went through Commsec. They make it all nice and easy. :)

Febs
15th October 2004, 07:10 PM
:o :o :o

They're now at ~$45USD.

Wow..and to think I was considering buying more @ $39USD..but thought "Nah.."

Exocet
15th October 2004, 11:27 PM
Certainly a company I'd look at getting stock in. I think I might grab some shares when I get my tax return July next year.

internet
16th October 2004, 01:14 PM
damn that's some expensive share, but your almost guarenteed that it's going to hold value!

scruffie
17th October 2004, 11:12 AM
Damn! We should all have bought some when Gil was in reign :)

Febs
30th November 2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Oct 15 2004, 07:10 PM
Wow..and to think I was considering buying more @ $39USD..but thought "Nah.."
Well aren't I a moron?

They're now at $68.44. :o :o
At this rate, they'll quadruple the price I bought them for soon enough. :lol:

(Heh...I'd like to sell some...but then...they just keep going up and up. :D I don't really need the money right now, so I think I'll just keep them. That said, if they do hit $80USD, I really think I'll sell them.)

the_OM
1st December 2004, 12:06 AM
analyst estimates are ranging from high 70's to even $100 from one analyst.

For shareholders sake, i hope apple don't fall short on analysts expectations for ipod sales..... anyone remember when the share price halved itself in one day because earnings estimates came in short because of slow cube sales.

saggsy
1st December 2004, 07:26 AM
I'd love some appl shares. When i first looked they where at 34 or something, damn! For some reason I thought you had to buy a minimum of 300 shares. Obviously not if you only have 50.

zefi
1st December 2004, 08:51 AM
I am somewhat conflicted by what's going on with Apple shares. I think its great that they are doing so well, it really has shut up a lot of cynical analysts concerning the financial state of Apple. But then, I know that they are overpriced and are driven by the popularity of the iPod. It really cannot be sustained in the future. And soon, these shareholders will be demanding more performance at the general meeting.

I hope that Apple is putting all this investment to good use.

Febs
2nd February 2005, 09:47 AM
Sorry for the bump, but...
$77.53USD and rising. :D

I'm definitely selling 1/2 of them (27) if they hit $80USD now. Obviously I've lost out bigtime on the exchange rate (bought when 1AUD=~$0.53USD), but I'll still be well ahead, and I'll still have 27 shares. :D

decryption
2nd February 2005, 10:55 AM
It's your shout at the pub next round Febs :P

Febs
1st October 2005, 01:30 AM
Just thought I should update this thread.

I eventually sold some at around $92USD. They've since split and are worth $53ish USD ($106USD in pre-split terms).

So yeah - I made back everything I've spent, plus I still have some shares left. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: Is it safe to admit that I used the money from the shares to buy a PC? :lol: Well I didn't really have a choice - it was a CarPC and a Mac just wasn't suitable. :(

LCGuy
1st October 2005, 01:50 AM
You put a PC in the Calais? :( I hope it isn't running Windows. :(

ringo-lover
1st October 2005, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by internet@Oct 16 2004, 01:14 PM
damn that's some expensive share, but your almost guarenteed that it's going to hold value!

Well, in my experience market prices for shares are determined as much by emotion in as much as they are by logic, so I would have to disagree with you here..

That said, go Apple!

Wish I had some Apple stock myself.. a friend does, and he has made some incredible capital gains.

He first invested 5 years ago with a $10,000 loan - he bought only Apple, which goes against portfolio theory in general, but hey, he's done just fine. :)

ringo-lover
1st October 2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Oct 1 2005, 01:50 AM
You drive a Calais? I hope it isn't running windows - you might need to pull over and reinstall your engine sometime. :P

LCGuy
1st October 2005, 11:39 AM
I don't drive a Calais, i WISH i did. :P It was Febs who mentioned a while ago that he drives a Calais.

Febs
3rd October 2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Oct 1 2005, 01:50 AM
Sadly, yes. :(
There really wasn't any other option available, given the limited time I had and requirements for USB GPS support, a good front end for SatNav (Destinator), support for my external USB DVD drive, video out etc..

I'm sure I could've eventually had a workable solution using Linux, but I just didn't have the time. Windows works well enough - I basically only run iTunes, Map Monkey/Destinator and Windows Media Player.

If a good 12v incar power solution existed for the Mac, I would've gone for a Mac mini.

Cheers,
- Febs.