PDA

View Full Version : Restored OSX - How to re-upgrade...?

cosmichobo
12th March 2006, 08:27 PM
G'day,

Per previous, have had numerous problems with my eMac crashing in recent weeks. I'd tried various things, but was still having crashes, so have gone back to the original "restore" discs, and reinstalled a fresh 10.3.4.

I had already downloaded the 10.3.9 upgrade from Apple, but now when I try to run it, it says my system doesn't meet the requirements for it to run.

What do I need to do? Do I have to download each step from 3.4 -> 3.9???

Cheers

Travis

milliedog
12th March 2006, 08:32 PM
Hi Travis,

You've probably downloaded the smaller updater that only updates one step up ie 10.3.8 to 10.3.9

You'll need a combo updater that updates any version of 10.3 to 10.3.9. It's about a 100MB download.

Justin Vincent

cosmichobo
12th March 2006, 08:41 PM
D'oh... yeah the file I downloaded was 50Mb. Will have to look on Apple's site again. Thanks.

snax
12th March 2006, 09:10 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...update1039.html (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxcombinedupdate1039.html)

(googled for "10.3.9 combo")

cosmichobo
12th March 2006, 10:14 PM
Aaaarrrggghhh.....

Have just opened "Mail" and it can't open any of my emails...

Mail v 1.3.11

Is this only because I'm back on 10.3.4, and Mail has been updated in the later 10.3.9... ???

Currawong
12th March 2006, 11:23 PM
Run the combo updater before trying to run anything.

cosmichobo
13th March 2006, 01:41 AM
Ok - I've run the updater, so am back up to 10.3.9... and sure enough it crashed again... Have noticed maybe a 50% likelihood of crash occuring while either changing App or using Expose...

Also lost all sound again (happened a few weeks ago) - startup chime works, but no other sound. Last time it fixed itself after a restart. I restarted, but held SHIFT to go into "safe" mode to see if that stops the crashes...

I see from the Apple Discussion forum there's some known problem with a leaky capacitor causing crashes...

eroda
13th March 2006, 02:53 AM
i had a simple problem with a relatice imac, but yer a simple reinstall fixed that

cosmichobo
13th March 2006, 01:25 PM
Mm - ok... Just poking around in my "Previous Systems" folder created when I re-installed OS 10.3.4 from the restore DVD.

Inside are my "old" applications such as Preview, DVD Player, etc etc... The version numbers of the programs are the same, but the ones placed in the "Previous..." folder are 10Mb larger... (IE the ones that I was previously using)

What the?

Currawong
13th March 2006, 02:27 PM
Maybe on the new install you specified fewer languages to be installed?

cosmichobo
13th March 2006, 02:33 PM
Oh - yes I did... are the languages built into each app?? I would have thought there would just be a library they would refer to.

Currawong
13th March 2006, 03:01 PM
Most apps are really just folders. If you right/control-click on an app, there is an option "Show Package Contents" in which you can see all the things that make up an application.

cosmichobo
13th March 2006, 03:16 PM
Currawong... Last year I took "Great Ideas", a 1st year philosophy class. I remember sitting in the auditorium listening to the concepts of Forms and acorns dreaming of becoming trees and green leaves and just occasionally a spark going off saying "OH MY GOD!!!".

Your post above (and the subsequent control-clicking on DVDPlayer) created a similar spark. And yep, sure enough, there's a tonne of multi language crap in that there "folder". Wonder how much room that's just saved me.

cosmichobo
13th March 2006, 03:25 PM
Ok, now I feel like I'm back in OS6/7, removing stupid unwanted fonts, trimming down the system folder to get a minimal amount of system memory... Killing off Spanish and Italian keyboard options... but now whole languages being put to the sword... (No offense to non English speakers... Now I feel more at home in OSX...