PDA

View Full Version : Powermac 7200/200 into online file server how to?

applecollector
11th March 2006, 11:27 PM
Hey everyone.

I have a 7200/200Mhz PPC which i would like to make in to an online file server.
Now i get internet via wireless to my emac and from their i want to be able to take the internet to the 7200 Via ethernet.
I want to place home movies & files on their which people could see online.
Now it has 10.1 installed via xpostfacto but i could never get internet to work on it.
So if i were to do this via os 9.1 how can it be done.
The server is quite fast.
288Mb Ram
4Gb HDD
200mhz

or if it's too complicated i do have my G3 B&W which i could also convert in to a Server i just thought becuase i have that Powermac just sitting here i though i would put it in to good use!
So my question is how can i do this?

thankyou

Silver
12th March 2006, 09:55 AM
It is possible to set up a descent web-server using MacOS 9. You are probably best off getting a hardware router, as it isn't a good idea to shunt all web traffic through the eMac.

Look for a program called MacHTTP (http://www.machttp.org/).

I ran a web/e-mail/DNS server on a Performa 450 (Pizza box) for a couple of years before I got a dual G4 to handle the job. MacOS 7 can do the job fine too. Just don't expect insane speeds.

applecollector
12th March 2006, 10:00 AM
ok dang thats going to be bad for me.
What if i need to set up a temporary file server on my mac mini (intel) how can i do that?
I'm on wireless.
Thanks

Silver
12th March 2006, 10:02 AM
Depends on what you mean by file server. If you want to do it over a local network, just enable file sharing.

If you want to do it over HTTP, just enable web sharing.

If you want to do it over FTP, just enable ftp sharing.

In all cases, you should set up an unprivileged account for the connections you allow other people to come in on.

If you want to be really tricky, you can recompile Apache with the particular options you need, or compile an FTP server that is better suited to your needs, but neither is worth the trouble if it is only temporary.