PDA

View Full Version : lost extensions OS 9.2.2

thephydeaux
11th March 2006, 05:12 PM
Good arvo

My daughter has "lost " the extensions necessary for her wallstreet pb to read floppies and CD's. They dont appear to be anywhere on the disc.

Apparently they are: Apple CD/DVD Driver Apple Photo Access Audio CD Access
Foreign File Access ISO 9660 File Access UDF Volume Access

Is there somewhere that I can legally download these from? Or, do I need to sart from a CD and get them fom there? Or, do I need to save what I can through the network and re-install?

Talking of installing, is OS X a goer on the wallstreet. Ram is 192MB :(

Thanks

Tim R

g3monster
11th March 2006, 06:30 PM
You could try 10.2 but more ram would make the experience much better!!!! That being said I was running os x 10.3 on a B&W 450 with 128mb ram for months without a problem...As for os 9.2.2 I would recommend useing tome viewer to open up the installation tome file on the os 9 cd and extract the files you need!!!!

thephydeaux
11th March 2006, 07:26 PM

I'm running out of ideas ... :(

I cant even start up from a 9.1CD by holding down the C key on restart. Does this mean the CD drive is stuffed, or is there something else going on?

Thanks again

Tim R

g3monster
11th March 2006, 07:28 PM
Chances are that it is stuffed!!!

kim jong il
11th March 2006, 08:40 PM
I'd copy all her files, as well as the remains of the old system folder, just in case there are third party/non standard extensions that you want to keep and reinstall from a bootable install CD and then replace preferences,extra extensions and whatever else. Being OS 9.x it will need a machine specific install CD unless you have the commercial universal installer version. That said OS 9 is not that wonderful anymore and 10.1-10.3.x will run on the machine in question. It won't be a weapon but OS X is far nicer than OS 9.

kim

PS if you have a 9.0 installer only; all the updates, through to 9.2.2, are free downloads from the apple website.

EDIT: Can't boot from a CD? Make sure it is a bootable CD not a non bootable copy. If not things do not sound good.

thephydeaux
11th March 2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks Kim

Unfortunately I cant start from a CD anyway.

Since my last post, I tried copying the missing extension from another wallstreet to my G5, then back to the one in where they are missing.

Still no luck, and I still cant boot from a CD.

Running out of ideas :(

Tim R

Byrd
11th March 2006, 09:04 PM
How is the HD on the Wallstreet - if it's "lost" files and can't boot from CD, could well be the HD on it's way out.

JB

Muzza_77
11th March 2006, 09:05 PM
Does it have firewire? if it does you can boot from an external firewire drive

thephydeaux
11th March 2006, 09:10 PM
the wallstreet doesnt have either firewire or usb, except with a pcmcia card .... maybe thats worth a try

Thanks

Tim R

g3monster
11th March 2006, 10:21 PM
A usb/firewire card is useless because the macs openfirmware is not set to boot from firewire/usb and it wont