PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Photoshop Technique-How To?

carlow1
9th March 2006, 06:02 PM
Can any Photoshop users tell me or guide me to some info on the technique pictured below. I'm working on some new images for an upcoming show and would really like to use this technique in some of my images. I've tried looking for the magazine it was featured in but can't seem to find it anywhere. :(

knassy
9th March 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure pixel2life.com has a few good tutorials on flame effects. Maybe not the exact one you are after but its likely you will find a decent substitute.

snax
9th March 2006, 07:48 PM
That just looks like clever compositing to me. It might be a filter, but I think they used a picture of a fire, and overlayed her in black, creatively adding highlights and breakouts.

Who knows. It does look great though.

Anyway, google searches for keywords photoshop, flame, fire, tutorial etc should get you somewhere. Can't say I've ever done fire in PS, sorry.

geektechnu
9th March 2006, 08:13 PM
I'd say this is done with photos of real fire.
...or maybe some generated 3d fire.

Depending on your skill level, you might want to check out Alien Skin's Eye Candy 5: Nature (http://www.alienskin.com/ec5n/index.html) filter pack.
It has a parametic fire generator that is very easy to customise.

If you want to do this kind of stuff by hand, the first step is to buy a graphics tablet to draw with. Then do a lot of work with "screen", "dodge" and "overlay/mix" blending modes.

carlow1
10th March 2006, 06:39 PM
I've just discovered that the exact technique I'm looking for was featured in issue 2 of Advanced Photoshop Magazine back in November 2005. Unfortunately the magazine was published by the now bankrupt Highbury Publishing in the UK. So I suppose the chance of getting it as a back issue is not possible. Maybe I'll put up a thread and ask if anyone has a copy to sell or know where I'd be able to get my hands on one.

vicmeldrew
10th March 2006, 07:56 PM
I think I have a copy of that magazine. Will check and get back to you.

marc
10th March 2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by snax@Mar 9 2006, 07:48 PM
I think they used a picture of a fire, and overlayed her in black, creatively adding highlights and breakouts.
That's what I'd say.

It wouldn't be too hard, but it would take a while.