PDA

View Full Version : Power Cord

melted.marsbar
6th March 2006, 08:51 PM
It seems to be happening more often now - my PowerBook will suddenly stop charging, and I see that the light around the connector of the power cord has gone out... so its obvious that no power is reaching the computer...:ph34r:

The only way I can fix this is by unplugging the cord from the power-point, and then plugging it back it. :blink: It's starting to p*ss me off now, because it's been happening for quite a while. Would there be a fault in the little white square power-pack? Would that be covered under my warranty?

Cheers,
Mitch

ruegen
6th March 2006, 08:52 PM
Do you still have a warranty? If so yes.

Mohawk
6th March 2006, 09:05 PM
Same kinda thing happened to me, but instead mine just stopped powering the ibook completely, so I took it back to the applestore told them what was happening, they checked it on their macs to make sure it wasnt my ibook, it was the adapter, so they ordered a new one for me (they had none in stock) no questions asked (just had to show them my warranty stuff)

Wheels
It seems to be happening more often now - my PowerBook will suddenly stop charging, and I see that the light around the connector of the power cord has gone out... so its obvious that no power is reaching the computer...

The only way I can fix this is by unplugging the cord from the power-point, and then plugging it back it. It's starting to p*ss me off now, because it's been happening for quite a while. Would there be a fault in the little white square power-pack? Would that be covered under my warranty?

I have the exact same thing! I've never bothered to get it fixed though because I've already had a faulty power inverter and it took weeks to get back. This is also my second power adaptor so I've got sick of getting it repaired.

forgie
Hmmm... that sounds like an iBook power supply you're using with your powerbook. Not that it should make any difference.... except that my iBook charger's indicator doesn't turn on at all on my mum's powerbook, even though it charges it fine.

Are you sure it's not still charging but the lights gone out?

melted.marsbar
6th March 2006, 09:12 PM
Okidokie, I'm definitly using a PowerBook one (it came in the box, and i think they're the same for ibooks and powerbooks). and it's not charging even though the light's out, because my powerbook says its running on battery. I'll call my Apple store tomorrow =)

Thanks guys :thumbup:

forgie
6th March 2006, 09:15 PM
My mum's PB charger is a see-through discus kind of thing where you can wrap the DC cord around it to take up the slack. Apple may have changed their power supplies so that PBs use the iBook ones....

But it sounds like your adapter is dying, anyway.

Byrd
6th March 2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by forgie@Mar 6 2006, 10:15 PM
Apple may have changed their power supplies so that PBs use the iBook ones....
iBook chargers are 65W, while Powerbook chargers are 90W. You can use an iBook charger on a PB, but it won't charge the battery while the machine is on due to lack of power to charge the battery at the same time.

The chargers look the same, but are different.

JB

Exocet
6th March 2006, 10:01 PM
Try twisting the cord slightly, that fixes mine right up.

sfcoy
6th March 2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Mar 6 2006, 09:18 PM
iBook chargers are 65W, while Powerbook chargers are 90W.
This is not correct. I have a 15" Al Powerbook and it has a 65W charger.

That said, I had to replace mine recently, as the lead from the charger to the PB started getting hot and the machine stopped charging. I can only imagine that the insulation failed somewhere and it resulted in a kind of high resistance short circuit.

It was quite confusing for a while because enough power was being supplied to run the PB under light load, but it would die after a couple of hours of WOW. The smell of burning rubber was the eventual clue.

The replacement carton says "Compatible with Powerbook G4 computers and iBook Computers that have two USB ports". Part No M8943X/A btw.

Steve C.

Wheels
6th March 2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Mar 6 2006, 10:18 PM
iBook chargers are 65W, while Powerbook chargers are 90W. You can use an iBook charger on a PB, but it won't charge the battery while the machine is on due to lack of power to charge the battery at the same time.

The chargers look the same, but are different.

JB
Maybe the new powerbooks use 90W but my 1.67 15inch (Aluminium) uses a 65W power adaptor and the 17inch Aluminium version used the same too.

Edit - Beaten by sfcoy

Currawong
7th March 2006, 12:09 PM
I find my Powerbook charger plug only has to be slightly out for charging to stop. It's a good thing there's an indicator light on it.

On-Site-Tec
7th March 2006, 01:31 PM
Mine cuts out when i leave it lying flat on the carpet, usually more so on a warmer day. So I just stand it up on its edge and its fine. When it cuts out I have to unplug it from power and plug it back in.

Matt.

QueenOfSwords
7th March 2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@Mar 7 2006, 01:31 PM
Mine cuts out when i leave it lying flat on the carpet, usually more so on a warmer day. So I just stand it up on its edge and its fine. When it cuts out I have to unplug it from power and plug it back in.

Matt.
You'll see this behaviour if the charger is overheating and cutting out. Mine is doing this more often and getting overly hot when charging so I think its probably on the way out. Hmph.

macman
7th March 2006, 02:42 PM
My power cord recently died. It started by the glow of green or orange not showing when plugged in and got continually worse to the point of the screen brightness literally flashing as the power surged on and off.

$129 later and one new power cord and no further issues.

You would think they would make the power cords more durable than what they are, considering they are designed to be used with a portable computer!

borci88
7th March 2006, 03:47 PM
aaah, the problems with apple

you'll NEVER see that on a pc :P :P :P :P :P

QueenOfSwords
8th March 2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by macman@Mar 7 2006, 02:42 PM

You would think they would make the power cords more durable than what they are, considering they are designed to be used with a portable computer!
Well, the MacBook Pro cables are slightly thicker apparently, don't know about internal improvements but lets hope they took the opportunity.
The Intel notebooks will all have Magsafe adapters, anyway.