PDA

View Full Version : Setting up an HTTP Printer

JimWOz
5th March 2006, 07:11 AM
I am working in a Joint Venture office at present, 2 seperate corporate networks operate in the office, and are connected through firewall devices. The only TCP traffic allowed through is on port 80, ICMP traffic is allowed. We collaborate data using a web browser interface and MS Sharepoint running on the other partners side.
A shared plotter has been set up on the other partners side as an Internet Printer. I can connect to it from windows in VPC by setting it up as an HTTP printer, type in the URL, then my username and password in another dialogue box.
The problem I have is that I can't successfully connect from OSX 10.4. In Printer Setup Utility, I select add printer, option click the more printers button to get the advanced tab, select internet printing protocol using HTTP, then type in the printer URL. But how do I enter my username and password ?
The advanced add printer dialogue appears to allow multiple lines to be entered, but what is the syntax for entering username and password info ?
When I try to print, after entering just the printer URL, I get an authentication error in the printer dialogue. - no surprise.
I've tried a few concoctions of entering username and password, but nothing works, so I need some expert help. All my OSX books stop way short of solving this problem. But I can't believe that Internet Printing from a Mac only works to public printers, surely authentication must be accommodated.
Over to the HTTP experts.

blun
5th March 2006, 08:18 AM
remote desktop maybe?

Currawong
5th March 2006, 11:20 AM
http://username:password@url.of.printer/