Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume The volume intosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I am running Tiger 10.4.5 and get the above on my Mac-Mini, if I use the disk utility when running the boot install disk I get "Invalid leaf record count and Volume needs repair", no matter how many times I run 'repair' I get the same. Originaly I had 2 errors, it did fix the first but will not fix this one.
I saw this problem in another forum post, has anyone found a answer yet? I am getting very worried about my MacMini. sad.gif

timwallG5
2nd March 2006, 02:42 PM
Have you tried repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility?

timwallG5
2nd March 2006, 02:46 PM
Are there any other signs of disk trouble? (i.e. data corruption?). It could just be a minor problem. It sounds like a volume database problem. Maybe you should try a program like OnyX or MacJanitor or etc. to start off. Otherwise (if it's a desperate problem where the Mac won't start off the disc) try TechTool Pro or even reformatting your hard drive and starting over (only in a very dire situation, though)

purana
2nd March 2006, 03:11 PM
A thread already exited for this problem..

Have you tried booting into Single user mode and running fsck manually. I'll update this thread with details when I get home tonight reflecting what I am talking about.

EDIT: see attachment

step_andy
2nd March 2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Rodney9@Mar 2 2006, 02:39 PM
if I use the disk utility when running the boot install disk I get "Invalid leaf record count and Volume needs repair", no matter how many times I run 'repair' I get the same. Originaly I had 2 errors, it did fix the first but will not fix this one.

I had similar problem on G4. I found that only fix was to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Back up your data and start fresh (if you have time, do a low level format and zero drive)

Cheers

mechcon
2nd March 2006, 03:34 PM
APPLEJACK!!!!!

AWESOME application for management/repairs in single-user mode, like fsck but more than just that

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667

schibeci
2nd March 2006, 03:35 PM
Sometimes you can get away with:
1. Clone Disk A to Disk B (using Carbon Copy Cloner) or similar
2. Boot off Disk B
3. Format Disk A
4. Clone Disk B to Disk A

purana
2nd March 2006, 03:35 PM
Although a google reveals that most people said they had to backup, reformat using zero drive option and then reinstall.

Currawong
2nd March 2006, 04:17 PM
timwallG5: The errors have to do with the way the disk's directory of files has become corrupted. It has nothing to do with permissions or anything programs like MacJanitor or Onyx do. It IS very possible that some files have been damaged, as the underlying format of how files are stored on the disk is damaged. Further use of the machine could result in files over-writing other files.

Unless a program like DiskWarrior, Drive 10 or Techtool Pro can repair it, purana's suggestion of clone the drive and format it is the best one. At least with DiskWarrior etc they will tell you if a file has been damaged due to the disk errors.

Your next action should be to back-up any important files.

detail
2nd March 2006, 04:33 PM
This is a hardware issue. The leaf record problem is related to the hard drive format, the map of how to allocate nodes which stores the actual data. This is corrupted and is usually not a good sign.

You have to have the tiger version of Techtool pro or Diskwarrior to use them with Tiger 10.4.5. I had a similar problem which was unable to be fixed with either of those programs and the answer was to reformat the hard drive.

No more worries as the faulty disk areas are avoided.

Just as well you have a good backup system. Hard disk problems are one of the main reasons why we have backups.

Rodney9
2nd March 2006, 05:05 PM
Thankyou Everyone
I backed up everything.
I went into safe mode, it did it's thing for a few minutes, than shutdown.
I ran disk utility and recieved this -

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
Volume passed verification

Thanks again everyone :D