PDA

View Full Version : Which ADSL provider?

benny gsr
26th September 2004, 12:18 PM
I am looking ADSL providers.

I thought dodo was looking good with 39.95 with a 3g limit. (256/64 speed)
BUT they don't offer technical support from Mac? Is this only a minor problem?

Do any of you mac users use Dodo? Are there any other providers recommended about that price range with about 500mb + limit that don't have to be bundled with a phone package?

Currawong
26th September 2004, 12:57 PM
Avoid Dodo at all costs. Their money goes into advertising, and not their network or reliability or service.

I suggest Internode, Swiftel, iiNet, or Westnet. This going by both friends who are on those networks and general feedback on Whirlpool.net.au.

Internode is run by Mac heads, by the way ;)

titan44
26th September 2004, 01:53 PM
There is no easy way out with ADSL isp's

You get what you pay for

I'm on a dodo 256/64 unlimited at home, and look, for 29.99 for 3 months then 49.95 after that, it's not too bad. Ping rate are better than they were, and i still have to switch the modem off for about 20mins every few days to let the line resync, but hey, it's a buget connection! My mac hooks up no worries.

On the other hand, i have a top tier Swifttel connection at work, love it. Never drops out and always very quick, but it's $130+ per month and only 32gig download ( i do over that on my dodo account )

Just depends if you want to savce a few bob and have a few hasssles.

If i had the $$$ i'd go with swiftel at home though

thomas
26th September 2004, 01:56 PM
Both Internode and iiNet have the best plans, for the best price. I'm on a 512/128k plan from iiNet, with 24GB of bandwidth for only 59.95 a month. If you get your long distance phone through them it would only be 49.95 per month. Internode probably have similar/better value but I went with iiNet for 2 reasons:

1. The setup fee was around $50 cheaper at the time, and
2. The refer-a-friend feature gave me $30 off my first bill (not sure if they still do this)

Have a look on the whirlpool forums (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/) if you want to do a bit of research.

Cheers,

Thomas

estoyloco
26th September 2004, 02:05 PM
I have iinet-$39.95 for 12GB (6peak/6offpeak) plus i have them for phone calls (they are great for that (plus you can view your bill online anyday)

aanet are good too(my sisters got that) $35 for 256 6GB, or $45 for 512 with 8GB.

You can also get dirt cheap plans on aanet - 256kbps with 1GB = $25, and at 512kbps for 1GB = $35, pretty good if you dont do any sufing. (BUT beware of excess downloads on those plans $40/GB on the 256 plan and only $4/GB on 512.

AANET are the cheapest. (but their install prices are a bit steap) so over 12 moths iinet is the same price.

As others said go to whirlpool.

For speed nothing beats optusnet cable (i used to have that) but iinet has only ever not worked once on me.

I dont see a massive difference on 256 Vs 512 plans during SURFING, but obviously on downloads i can only get 25-30kilobytes per sec, and on 512 can get 55-60 per sec.

Nothing like the optus 600per sec!

the_argon
26th September 2004, 02:12 PM
I'm with Internode, very happy with them :)

thomas
26th September 2004, 02:20 PM
I've considered doing the 'churn' to internode, but my iiNet connection has been so great i've never bothered. A lot of people seem to have trouble with their connection through other ISP's (have to reset modem, or turn off etc) but i've never had to do that once in 6 months. The only time my connection died was when the power went out in our neighbourhood, and hence no power for the modem :P

Thomas

Disko
26th September 2004, 02:41 PM
<-- nodian

tk1
26th September 2004, 03:19 PM
We have Telstra Bigpond Broadband ... their tech support has been good and I have always found somone within a couple of minutes who was Mac aware. However, the actual service is dodgy. Sometimes when the phone rings you will not be able to send/receive data but Telstra will tell you that you are still connected. To fix I have to either disconnect/reconnect or put the Mac to sleep and wake it up. Sometimes the connection just drops out completely.

In other words, I would not recommend Telstra. I have a friend who had tremendous problems with Swift. Thus I am personally weary of them.

decryption
26th September 2004, 03:24 PM
Internode. &#39;nuff said. I&#39;ve been with them for two years now and never had a complaint. They actually support Macintosh as well.
So they get a thumbs up from me :)

ricky1206
26th September 2004, 05:02 PM
I&#39;m with iiNet (512k plan). So far so good&#33;

hawker
26th September 2004, 05:08 PM
Netspace. 512/128 6GB Limit (But only shaped, and haven&#39;t been shaped yet). &#036;49.95 a month...

kim jong il
26th September 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Sep 26 2004, 02:05 PM
.................aanet are good too(my sisters got that) &#036;35 for 256 6GB, or &#036;45 for 512 with 8GB.

You can also get dirt cheap plans on aanet - 256kbps with 1GB = &#036;25, and at 512kbps for 1GB = &#036;35, pretty good if you dont do any sufing. (BUT beware of excess downloads on those plans &#036;40/GB on the 256 plan and only &#036;4/GB on 512.

AANET are the cheapest. (but their install prices are a bit steap) so over 12 moths iinet is the same price.

As others said go to whirlpool.............
Used swiftel and now aanet (512/128: 24GB &#036;65) Aanet was NOT expensive to join but am tied to a 6 month contract. A simple &#036;25 churn fee. Aanet offers really good technical support which swiftel claim to but do not. Aanet have issues (multiple) but are cheap. Swiftel have fewer issues and are not as cheap.

I&#39;m going to migrate to wireless at the end of this contract (6 months with Aanet). Plans I have seen are hugely competetive with data transfer rates up to 2000/128 advertised. Once you chop out telstras cut for port rental it all becomes good.

Like the others said go to whirlpool (broadbandchoice.com.au) (sorry about the lack of a link I am in a hurry) This is the definitive Australian site for all things broadband related.

cheers, kim

Currawong
26th September 2004, 06:35 PM
tk1: That disconnection issue with the phone ringing means that you have not put a line filter on the phone, or the filter you&#39;re using is stuffed.

:)

InfiniteAnthony
26th September 2004, 07:11 PM
My team and I run our own ADSL network - Infinite Networks (http://www.infinite.net.au/broadband.html) - Our pricing isnt based around cheap residential accounts but we run very low contention ratio&#39;s and boast excellent customer support. We support windows, mac, linux and freebsd but you will notice our prices reflect this ;) Its the classic saying "You get what you pay for"

From experience and some of my friends if you would like a cheap residential account diffinately go with Internode. I would stay away from smaller ISP&#39;s offering really cheap prices and go with the big boys as they have experience and know what they are doing. :)

Also comindico (ADSL and bandwidth wholesaler) went arse during the week and cisco now owns them so a few ISP&#39;s will be shaken up in the next couple of months.

2 cents from an actual broadband ISP :)

Ps. We use AAPT tails and layer 3 connection if anyone wants to know :)

the_OM
26th September 2004, 08:55 PM
I&#39;m with telstra bigpond, 512/128kbps, Unlimited downloads.

So far i haven&#39;t had any problems whatsoever. The guy who installed it for me was a mac user too, so it was an easy as installation. tech support is also good, except for some reason they support 10.2 or lower, so no panther support just yet. But really, I don&#39;t think there is much of a difference in network settings and stuff like that between the two.
Also, Telstra say that they cut down your speed to 64kbps if you exceed 10gb of downloads....... last month I was around 28gbs total upload and downloads, and it was still all at full speed.

benny gsr
26th September 2004, 10:30 PM
the OM,

I think they only slow it down if the immediate demand is quite high (i read that on one of the providers websites), but if not many people are using for example, there is no need (i read that on one of the providers websites). Unlike Telstra to be generous though isnt it ? &#33;

I will be coming from a dial up connection. Will I notice big difference between 256/64 and the dial up, or do I have to go to 512/128?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

kim jong il
27th September 2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Xedos@Sep 26 2004, 07:11 PM
My team and I run our own ADSL network - Infinite Networks (http://www.infinite.net.au/broadband.html) - Our pricing isnt based around cheap residential accounts but we run very low contention ratio&#39;s and boast excellent customer support. We support windows, mac, linux and freebsd but you will notice our prices reflect this ;) Its the classic saying "You get what you pay for"............

...........2 cents from an actual broadband ISP :)

Ps. We use AAPT tails and layer 3 connection if anyone wants to know :)
Point taken but some of just will insist on learning the hard way. Me for example just love punishing myself.
My ISP, aanet, says I have browser issues. Initial attempts to connect to remote sites continually fail; resending requests/reload pages is the only way round it. Second attempt always works. Sadly there is not a whole lot I could change that would help. I could use IE but that had issues as well (I&#39;m lying a bit, I also plain hate using it). I&#39;ve also experienced connections to everywhere slow to less than 100 kbps. Like I said 5 more months.....

kim

EDIT: I don&#39;t want to bag them as such. The whole team there are trying really hard to do a good job. Recent issues must have cost them a packet which must make it hard all round. When it comes to solving problems they do actually work to achieve an outcome. They are generally flexible and adaptive. They promptly deal with many issues through a forum (suprise suprise) Have a contactable help desk. New plans were introduced to cover the problem gap with the cheapest plans and the huge excess. Sometimes everything does not go well and service suffers. As per above where it seems they just ran out of bandwidth (pings from primary routers have been known to be shameful). Maybe its all because they are new at it. They are very honest with their customers as a rule.

tk1
27th September 2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Sep 26 2004, 06:35 PM
tk1: That disconnection issue with the phone ringing means that you have not put a line filter on the phone, or the filter you&#39;re using is stuffed.

:)
The filter is connected correctly and I have used multiple filters with the same result :(

InfiniteAnthony
27th September 2004, 07:38 AM
Honesty is a great thing to hear in the IT industry because there is a lot of people out there that just constantly lie about problems. It gives a bad name to the industry and makes it hard for the honest guys out there.

Your browser issues sounds like MTU (Maximum Transmission
Unit) problems. Are you using a bridged modem configuration?

purana
27th September 2004, 08:15 AM
I am with westnet and very happy... about to upgrade to 1500/256 14/14gb plan for 89.95 later in the month...

At the moment I am on 512/128 20/20gb plan for 69.95

kim jong il
27th September 2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Xedos@Sep 27 2004, 07:38 AM

Your browser issues sounds like MTU (Maximum Transmission
Unit) problems. Are you using a bridged modem configuration?
I didn&#39;t really mean for you to troubleshoot my problems (I am after all someone elses customer) Thanks however. MTU is set to 1486 (modem router/network CP settings) Maximum packet size sent during testing 1460. Not bridged mode; using dynamic NAPT to share connection. Link stalled during test 1.6 seconds. No packet loss.

It is a problem that I have only experienced withh aanet. Oh well...

stooge
27th September 2004, 10:03 AM
Well my 2 cents , I have had iiNet 512/128 and 1500/256 I didn&#39;t have any many problems with them except that the connection would drop out after a couple of days. This I could live with. This was between Oct 03 and May 04 , I am not so sure what it is like now

Since then I have moved onto a smaller isp on a 512/128 connection, I haven&#39;t had any problems with it . Those in the know can work around any issues.

Choosing a provider is a difficult thing, do you want a smaller organisation that really value their customers and maybe not have the fat pipes. Or do you go with a large company that has big pipes and you are only a number ?

PyroVesten
4th October 2004, 01:22 AM
I&#39;m with iinet and i highly recommend them. We&#39;ve been with them from the beginning. Great service, great prices.