PDA

View Full Version : iBook didn't go to sleep

forgie
2nd March 2006, 02:49 AM
My iBook didn't sleep tonight when I closed the lid. I know it registered on the reed switch, since the screen light turned off. It didn't go to sleep though, it just crashed a horrible death. The throbbing sleep light never turned on, but I'd already walked away so I didn't notice. What was on the screen stayed there when I opened it back up, but the backlight was off so you could only just make it out. It was closed and awake for a good hour and a half, and it was really hot when I opened it. If I'd put it in my bag, it could've fried my screen completely, and if I recall correctly, a guy who had that exact thing happen to his PB didn't get a replacement, since Apple claimed he destroyed it himself.

WTF? Has anyone else had this happen to them? What should I do about it? It could've killed my iBook!?!?!?!

pipsqeek
2nd March 2006, 07:23 AM
All the iBook's I've ever owned do this randomly.

I learnt from the first one to wait for that LED.

oliyoung
2nd March 2006, 08:41 AM
mine never sleeps properly, the only way i've found to guarantee it is by leaving it upside down (lid down) or forcing it to sleep through the apple menu :|

forgie
2nd March 2006, 05:18 PM
This wasn't just not going to sleep though, this was a full on crash halfway through going to sleep. The backlight went off, but the LCD stayed on. The fan was on full in an attempt to dissipate the heat, so I don't know whether or not the CPU was still trying to do something or what. Either way, it's dodgy as hell.

morpheme2004
2nd March 2006, 09:12 PM
My old clamshell did something like this - only it wouldn't turn back on afterwards, you'd have to hold down the power button for several seconds to force shut down, and then restart. Periodically it seems to check the optical drive as well. Is this something like your problem?

forgie
2nd March 2006, 09:17 PM
Yep, that's what happened to me. I full crash, so I had to do a hard reset. I didn't notice the optical drive checking though. Sleep operation is back to normal now, however..... it's still very worrying.

spike@au
2nd March 2006, 09:23 PM
Yep got a 12" iBook about 12 months ago and have the same problem every now and again. After reading the story on the powerbook and also I've had a Dell lappy that didnt park the drive and subsequently crashed the disk when the lappy was moved after closing the lid, I always check that the white light is "breathing" before leaving the lappy now. Seems to happen a bit when I close the lid and then pull out the mouse cable or similar right away. Seems that it gets confused when its going to sleep and someting happens like a mouse is removed from a USB port, it doesnt know if it should sleep or wake again.

forgie
2nd March 2006, 09:33 PM
I know that pulling out a USB device, or my VGA adaptor will cause unpredictable behaviour, sometimes resulting in a crash.

In this case though, I had no peripherals plugged in at all....

mdurie
2nd March 2006, 10:53 PM
I found (and same with my dad's ibook) that after the logic board got replaced the sleep-on-close function never works. Likewise with wake-on-open. Not the first time I've come back to my computer to find it still on with the lid shut. Old habits are hard to break.

forgie
2nd March 2006, 11:32 PM
That could simply be a disconnected/broken reed sensor, that means your iBook wouldn't know when the lid was closed. On mine, the iBook knows alright, it just crashed when I shut the lid!

gurgle
3rd March 2006, 12:11 AM
i had this occaisonally a while ago
i worked out it was dud ram
u installed any lately?

forgie
3rd March 2006, 01:23 AM
Nope, I've got a stick of 512MB Kingston in there, that I've had in there since the day I got it. That was 5 months or so ago, and that stick of RAM had been used for 6 months before that in another laptop without problems.

morn
4th March 2006, 08:56 PM
Recently my ibook has been constantly going in and out of sleep with the lid closed it's quite weird.

jdagis
1st April 2006, 10:04 PM
Since I copied my main computer's HD over to my G3 ibook, mine goes in and out of sleep with the lid open—really weird. Never had a problem until then.

ialienam
1st April 2006, 10:44 PM
Guess I am not the only one out there..
I have the same problem, but notice it always happen when I go very hard on my ibook..
the first time was when i heard teh disk was running very hard, and I just closed the lid, it wouldn't go to sleep..

then it sort happen randomly afterward

Goodbye
1st April 2006, 10:51 PM
My iBook G4 has done this a couple of times. No idea what caused it, but it only happens very very rarely.

jdagis
14th April 2006, 09:33 PM
OK, I figured if I left my ibook cycling in and out of sleep, I'd end up eventually ruining the power adapter as this constant cycling flattens my battery very quickly. To do any work on it I have to leave the adapter on full time.

It was completely stable running on 10.3.8 until I copied the hard drive off my main computer over running 10.3.9. Since then it cycles in and out of sleep with the lid open or closed.

I've now installed 10.3.8 back on it and all is stable again. I'm going to gradually copy files/programs over from my main computer until I can find out what is causing this annoying problem, eventually I'll do the 10.3.9 upgrade.

I'll post any adverse results here.

nicwithsticks
14th April 2006, 10:07 PM
My PowerBook's done this before. Closed the lid, slipped it into the bag, only to come home at the end of the day and find it completely dead, with no sleep light whatsoever.

I too always wait for the light before I pack now.

jdagis
22nd April 2006, 05:17 PM
After reinstalling 10.3.8 and making sure the sleep issue didn't re-occur, I did a fresh install of my main programs one at a time, then transferred my work folder over from my main computer, with no sleep problems. I've since updated to system 10.3.9 and all is well.

Whatever glitch it was, was cured by a reformat and fresh reinstallation. I figure my sleep problems were caused by making my G3 laptop try to cope with a G4 tower system installation.

timwallG5
22nd April 2006, 05:44 PM
I think it's a design flaw in Apple's notebook sleep system... maybe something to do with the OS X kernel - I've had issues were my PowerBook G3 crashes upon sleeping. It's a very random issue, which makes it all the more frustrating. And you know when it's crashed, because the sleep light stops working, and when you open up the lid, you hear the processor purring but the HD and the video are off... you hold down the power button for a few seconds, and upon restart it tells you "Mac OS X quit unexpectedly". This is a serious issue that Apple should really solve with the next system update.