PDA

View Full Version : Heat!

Granny Smith
1st March 2006, 02:27 PM
I have an iBook (G4, 933MHz, 14") and in the past few weeks it's started to run really hot. Particularly when it's running on the battery, the heat is quite amazng - it becomes uncomfortable having it sitting on my lap.
The machine is about 26 months old.
Energy Saver settings are set up (on battery power) to sleep when inactive for five minutes, put the screen to sleep after one minute, and to put the HD to sleep whenever possible.
On the top side of the iBook the heat seems to be worst on the left-hand side of the trackpad, below the keyboard. The keyboard itself does not seem to be warm.
On the underneath of the iBook it's difficult to pinpoint the heat source - it seems to be hot all over.
The same heat issue does not seem to arise if I remove the battery and run it on mains power.
I know heat is not good for batteries - an application called coconutBattery (v2.2) tells me the battery has an "original battery capacity" of 4400 mAh but a "current battery capacity" of 2482 mAh and has been through 388 battery loadcycles.
Any ideas what's going on? Am I looking at a major problem?!?
Thanks.

PS
Could installing new memory - 512Mb (DDR SDRAM PC2700U-25330), taking the machine to 128Mb (built-in) + 512Mb = 640Mb - have anything to do with it?

tintinaujapon
1st March 2006, 02:48 PM
The G4 laptops run hot.

You notice it much less in cooler weather, but you're likely to impede your chances of having children if you use them on your lap in warmer weather.

I can't use my PowerBook G4 on my lap either at the moment.

Granny Smith
1st March 2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks, tintinaujapon - that at least makes me feel better about the possibility that I'm facing a catastrophe. Roll on the cooler weather - and in the meantime I don't have plans for more kids anyway!

iMick
1st March 2006, 02:56 PM
I would only be concerned if you are having stability problems. If you start to get random crashes etc, that you can't pin down to something simple like RAM etc, then I would take it in for a service.

P.S> You guys need tougher laps lol :P Take the pain!!

wildturkey
1st March 2006, 02:58 PM
Don't worry about it mate I get the same thing as well with my G4 iBook.

applecollector
1st March 2006, 03:03 PM
My iBook G3 500Mhz with 320Mb ram seems to heat up alot recently even on the most simple tasks like Safari.
The heat seems to come from the bottom left of the machine where as near the battery it's normal. Since it's not my main machine when it starts to heat up i usually turn it off.

gelfie
1st March 2006, 03:15 PM
I believe there was a battery recall on these iBooks and also some powerbooks, as the battery could overheat and catch fire. Check your serial number with Apple to see if you fall into this recall.

mechcon
1st March 2006, 03:45 PM
dont forget the fact, that notebooks aren't called laptops anymore for a reason ;)

Granny Smith
2nd March 2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks, gellfie - the recall does not seem to cover 14" iBooks. It DOES cover 12" iBooks 12" and 15" PowerBooks.
Seems like a bit of heat is just a fact of life. Funny that I've only noticed it recently, though, after owning it for more than two years ...

skysa
2nd March 2006, 01:30 PM
My G4 15" powerbook runs very hot also, I've had two batterys and the power adapter was burning out from the inside you could see the burn marks. (This was before the recalls) I have a thought that this is what caused the start of my main problems now. So keep a close eye.

sunrisesister
2nd March 2006, 01:47 PM
id get that looked at, skysa. thats not normal, or safe!

Rasta
2nd March 2006, 01:54 PM
How hot is too hot? What are people comfortable with?

My iBook G4 becomes a bbq sometimes and looking at the temperature monitor widget it's sometimes up to 58 degree on the 'processor underside' :o

skysa
2nd March 2006, 01:56 PM
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...30&#entry147440 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=17108&st=30&#entry147440)

sunrisesister
thats pretty normal rasta. I was referring to the burn marks that skysa has seen..

my PB reaches 60, the fans kick in, and shes happy!

sunrisesister
skysa, i replied here:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...=0&#entry147450 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=17199&st=0&#entry147450)

Granny Smith
2nd March 2006, 05:39 PM
So I installed a small temperature monitor widget, to find that the "Processor Bottomside" of the iBook was running at about 56 degrees celsius. I had four little plastic grommet things (probably left over from last time I wrestled with an IKEA flatpack), and stuck them under the feet of the iBook, raising it by a mere centimetre or so. But the improved airflow has already dropped the processor temperature to 50 degrees. I figure that if I can raise it a bit more, and get some proper circulation going, I might be able to the temperature a bit further.
Are there more elegant cooling techniques than this that anyone has successfully tried?

tintinaujapon
2nd March 2006, 08:31 PM
I sometimes just place an eraser under the rear centre of my PB. The angle means that hot air runs up and out the sides. There are proper stands etc. but I don't have that great a need and it bothers me that here in Oz I'd pay twice what I would in Japan.

Got a Japan-craving (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=17174&hl=Japan-ho) on at the moment.

964RSCS
2nd March 2006, 08:46 PM
I use a Griffin iCurve under my PB when I'm using it at the desk or table etc.

It allows for plenty of airflow, and with the raised height, it is closer to eye level so more comfortable to use. Needs to be used with external keyboard and mouse.

Could be worth a try...

Pulgar
3rd March 2006, 09:30 AM
My PB has balls.... :rolleyes: ...literally...and it makes a big difference to the cooling/airflow.
Can't remember now who makes them, someone here will, but they stick on really well with the velcro. I was a little sceptical at first but I'm pretty happy with the difference....no good for your lap but excellent on a table.....personally I dig the iCurve but I have no extra KB or mouse, so.........

leharicot
3rd March 2006, 10:36 AM
another vote for the icurve here. improves airflow and temp, not to mention a better height for the screen.

if the ambient temp is warm (as it is during the long hot aussie summer) then the processor is going to run hot anyway. you can't cool something with airflow if that air is hot too. thats why server rooms have air cons.

arribadia
3rd March 2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by iMick@Mar 1 2006, 02:56 PM

P.S> You guys need tougher laps lol :P Take the pain!!
It is not laps, but most PB users sure need titanium lead coated underpants for the shielding :D

Disko
3rd March 2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by arribadia@Mar 3 2006, 11:16 AM
It is not laps, but most PB users sure need titanium lead coated underpants for the shielding :D
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/628.html