PDA

View Full Version : The end of Melbourne House

gizo
1st March 2006, 08:03 AM
As youngsters, my brother and I would make some almost religious journey's with our Father into the 'big smoke'. We'd travel for miles and miles from our far eastern suburban home, all the way to South Melbourne, to visit the amazing people at Melbourne House.

We went to get games. Games for our Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

We loved our little rubber-keyed 'pooter, and we loved that there were people IN MELBOURNE writing software for it. I got a copy of Melbourne Draw...... Brilliant.
I'll never forget those shaggy guys, empty pizza boxes, and old coin-op machines...

Later, when I was grown up, one of my band-mate's housemates was working for Beam Software (which was the new name for Melbourne House) as a map designer.

And now, with much sadness, Atari are shutting down Melbourne House. (http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/games-maker-to-be-logged-off/2006/02/28/1141095739279.html)

This is truly the end of an era....

decryption
1st March 2006, 09:49 AM
It is sad to see such an institution in Australian game development gone. It's not like there's much game development here in the first place :(

Arkhum_Eramak
1st March 2006, 09:56 AM
Wow, that sucks

I'd like to see the games industry pick up a bit in Australia. Sad to see houses being closed down.

There is apparently a GBA developer here in Tas, they live out bush or in Hobart or something :P

I guess places like this come and go. Depressing really. There needs to be more creative force in the Australian media places, heck, look at our film industry! And it seems you cant get funding unless you are gonna make a doco or a 'loveable aussie yarn about an average bloke' or something. And our movies all flop. Heck, down here in Tas if you threaten to make anything vaguely more interesting than a doco it is often difficult to get permission from the state govt to do anything...heck, now I'm ranting about the Aussie film industry.

Well, anyways, I'd like to see the Australian game industry not go the way of the Film Industry. Heck, does the film industry even exist anymore?

This could be the beginning of the end....or something like that

Alessiman
1st March 2006, 11:11 AM
I think I'll be holding onto my Horace goes Skiing and Hobbit game just that little longer.

And who can forget "The Way Of The Exploding Fist" or the forgettable Bugsy.

Good times

oliyoung
1st March 2006, 11:17 AM
Activision/Midway shut down Ratbag in Adelaide late last year as well .. :( games industry, we don't need no stinkin games industry ..

Pej
1st March 2006, 12:18 PM
Long live TRANSFORMERS on PS2. :P

marc
1st March 2006, 12:31 PM
The article says it's being sold though... not shut down.

Or am I missing something?

gizo
1st March 2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by marc@Mar 1 2006, 12:31 PM
The article says it's being sold though... not shut down.

Or am I missing something?
it seems that you are missing my incredibly poor scholastic skills....