PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modems

harryb2448
25th September 2004, 08:40 AM
Good Morning

Question 1 - I am about to embark on ADSL using a G4 Tower and Panther X.3.5. Do members have any opinions on the better performing modems.

Question 2 - Anyone using an internal ADSL PCI Modem card suitable for the above machine and opinions please?

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Currawong
25th September 2004, 11:25 AM
I'd not bother looking into PCI modems - as far as I know, none of them work with Macs.

What you do want is, some form of ethernet modem, and avoid USB modems. Ethernet modems conform to standard networking protocols and can be configured via a web browser.

A good suggestion would be getting a decent 4-port ethernet modem such as the Netcomm NB1300 +4 that I'm using here. This way, should you wish to share your connection with another computer, for whatever reason, you only have to plug it in and away you go.

Once the modem has been configured, the default Mac OS X network settings will enable you to get onto the net without having to do anything further.

titan44
25th September 2004, 11:25 AM
At work i have a NB5500, i could'nt recommend it highly enough, worth every cent, serves the entire network as a router and hasn't missed a beat. Price has dropped a bit now too.

At home i run a alcatel home hooked up to an airport extreme, drop outs but i think that's the isp ( internet that dies )

I would'nt go with an internal adsl ( i don't even know if you can get 'em , never seen one ) get an external adsl/router with an inbuilt 5 port hub. Let it do the work, and keep your options for the future open as far as home network expandability is concerned.

decryption
25th September 2004, 11:37 AM
I strongly recommend the Billion 5100.
I've installed about 10 of these and none has crapped out yet. At home I have the earlier model Billion 711CE and it's still going strong without a hitch.
The 5100 is also pretty cheap, it's only $85 from Warcom: http://www.warcom.com.au/shop/flypage/adslmodems/1045

thomas
25th September 2004, 12:42 PM
I've got a Billion 5100W, as i wanted the wireless option. Must say I've never had a problem with it since i first plugged it in (going 6 months now).

Only thing is, it seems you can't audio or video chat using iChat with it :( . Apparently its an issue with this line of Billion modems. So i'm stuck at home with an iSight but can't actually 'use it' :blink:

Cheers,

Thomas

hawker
25th September 2004, 02:35 PM
This works brilliantly ( http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_de....asp?prodID=223 (http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=223) ) with my:

PC (yuck)
iMac 800Mhz
12" Powerbook
and Dad's 17" powerbook

iMac and PC are connected via Cat 5 and both powerbooks run wireless. I will tell you that Wirless is not the best for sending large files over the network (works just fine with my 512 connection), if I plug in a Cat 5 for network transfers it works great!

pipsqeek
25th September 2004, 02:35 PM
I have also been using a Billion 5100 for nearly a year. They came out in December 2003 as the cheapest ADSL modem around with a 4 Port switch.

No issues with it yet. Only reason why I wanted to get rid of it was because I wanted an all-in-one wifi/modem and the 5100W was not yet out.

But I kinda prefer having them separate now.

Anyway, the 5100 is great value. I got mine for $90, RRP is $99 I think.

Steve

Alessiman
25th September 2004, 03:14 PM
Well I do have a modem for sale that works with mac's perfectly ;-)

luke_in_tas
26th September 2004, 07:55 AM
Back in March APC Magazine did a comparison of ADSL modem/routers. The online verson of this reviews is availabe at: Get Routed! (http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/DFAED8DA2EBBF059CA256E40000EFFC7)

The review compares: Alcatel SpeedTouch 510
Alcatel SpeedTouch 570
Billion BIPAC-5100
Billion BIPAC-7500G
D-Link DSL-604+
D-Link DSL-504
DrayTek Vigor 2500We
Dynalink RTA300
Netcomm NB1300 Plus 4
Netgear DG824M
Netgear DG834
SMC ADSL Barricade g
Web Excel PT-3812
At home I'm using a Netcomm NB1300. It has worked fine with my Mac, but as it only has one ethernet port I had to buy a switch as well to share my internet connection with my PC and my laptop. Consequently I would recommend getting a router with extra ports, like the NB1300 Plus 4.

At any rate, you definitely want a modem with an ethernet connection, as opposed to one with just USB.

Lastly, it may be worth doing some checking to ensure that whatever modem/router you get supports iChatAV. I've got a mate whose router caused us all sorts of grief when we tried to set up a video chat (I'm not sure what brand it was). In the end he was able to download some kind of workaround for it. But as thomas notes, he has also had trouble with his Billion modem.

estoyloco
26th September 2004, 08:53 AM
Netcomm NB1300 Plus 4

I use the above ^^^^, its USB and Ethernet (you can use the two simultaneously)

The Mac liked using Ethernet, my PC likes the USB. As people have said it has:

4 X ethernet
1x WAN
1x USB

They are really good modems, you get a 3 year warranty

You could get one off eBay for $50 (2nd hand)
Not sure how much they go for new.

Very reliable i have never had a problem with the modem at all.

I would go the eBay option as they havent been around all that long (maybe 1.5years max) so it could have 1.5years warranty remaining..???

benny gsr
26th September 2004, 11:20 AM
I have some simpler questions with regard to this topic.

When you want to get broadband connected, you generally get a modem with it. Do you guys buy your own modem and therefore decline the ADSL provider's modem? Is that because the provided modems are crap?

So rather than get the supplied modem, and then get a wireless router, I can get a wireless modem / router all in one?

I am now a bit confused ?!?

If anyone has any info or a links to help me understand this, I would appreciate it.

benny gsr
26th September 2004, 11:25 AM
Sorry about the previous post, I just started reading the above link to the "get routed" article.

......I must read before I type.....

Currawong
26th September 2004, 11:47 AM
Benny, you did indeed hit the nail on the head ;)

Basically, ISP's box/bundle their own cheap modems for one reason: It will attract mom & dad customers who's needs are simple and lock them into a long contract. Those customers tend not to download very much, and will subsidise the customers that attempt to download the entire internet every day. This is how TPG works, for example.

ricky1206
26th September 2004, 05:18 PM
I'm using D-link DSL-504G router at home to connect my two PCs and one Powerbook. It works fine. If you sign up with iinet, you can get it for $139, that's not too bad! Or you may find some cheaper deals somewhere else.

http://www.staticice.com.au/
Good site to compare price.

thomas
26th September 2004, 06:06 PM
Anyone know of a good ADSL wireless modem that supports iChat and Video Chats with iChat. I've currently got a Billion 5100W and although its a great piece of hardware, and ver reliable, it seems to have problems with iChat. Sometimes I can't even log on. I've investigated in the Billion Forums and apparently this is a problem with this line of Billion modems.

So my question is: Does anyone have a wireless modem that is a)stable and reliable, and B) lets you chat/audio chat/video chat using iChat.

Thanks

Thomas