PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling java?

Disko
5th February 2004, 12:01 PM
hey,

I downloaded my safari and java update the other day, and since then my safari (1.2) crashes a lot.
I've figured out that it is java being the culprit, so i downloaded java from the apple site, and re installed it - but that didn't work.
So i re-downloaded safari 1.2 from the apple site and re installed it - and that made things worse. Now if i click 'fast reply' safari will crash.

I'd like to remove all versions of java from my mac and re install just the one version, but i don't know how. I'd like to see if this will stop safari crashing.

Can someone give me a hand?

Disko

jameso
5th February 2004, 01:09 PM
"I'd like to remove all versions of java from my mac and re install just the one version, but i don't know how. I'd like to see if this will stop safari crashing."

Does any other java stuff not work?

you might be able to uninstall the update but i doubt you can remove every version of java on osx with out killing it.

jameso

Disko
5th February 2004, 01:10 PM
How do you mean 'other java stuff'?

I'm using omniweb 4.5 right now, and the 'fast reply' works fine - and that's java, so i don't know where the problem is.

What do you suggest i do to troubleshoot it? I need my safari!

Disko
5th February 2004, 01:12 PM
Also: the "Java 1.4.2 Plugin Settings" app in Applications>Utilities>Java crashes upon load while the other one (1.3.1) works fine.

Disko
5th February 2004, 03:00 PM
Problem Solved:

I re downloaded Java 1.4.2 from apple's website.
I downloaded a fresh installer of Safari 1.2
I deleted safari from my powerbook
I restarted my powerbook
I reinstalled Java, and restarted again
I reinstalled Safari, and restarted again
I "reset safari" as soon as i opened the new one incase it was something in my cache making it crash.

... and now it works, as i'm typing this into a fast reply box, which requires java to open. :D