PDA

View Full Version : Where have all my files gone?

froggy
27th February 2006, 10:24 PM
Hi all

On a thread somewhere here, I mentioned that I don't trust backups because of bad past experience. Well, I have a new reason now :P

I very carefully backed up ALL of my HDD on Friday. Now the USB drive to which I backed up can't be seen by either of my Macs. I plug it in and there's nothing that displays. Anywhere! :(

I need my files back!

Any ideas, please?

Cheers,
Andrew

Johnny Appleseed
27th February 2006, 11:08 PM
I presume you've attempted to detect/mount it in Disk Utility.

froggy
27th February 2006, 11:11 PM
Nope. Never heard of that method with a USB drive.

Squozen
28th February 2006, 07:19 AM
You don't trust backups? What do you use to protect your data, pixies? :P

froggy
28th February 2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Squozen@Feb 28 2006, 07:19 AM
You don't trust backups? What do you use to protect your data, pixies? :P
Doesn't mean that I don't do them - just don't trust them. :(

Squozen
28th February 2006, 07:31 AM
Ahhh, gotcha. Cos I was going to say, those damn pixies aren't that reliable either. :(

froggy
28th February 2006, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I know.

Well, I have the disk showing in Disk Utility. I've done a verify and all appears to be ok. Now what do I need to do to get access to my files? The disk still isn't appearing on the desktop or anywhere in Finder.

Cheers,
Andrew

macmate
28th February 2006, 08:23 AM
do you have Diskwarrior? it sounds like directory problems.

Ric

Pismo
28th February 2006, 09:38 AM
i have had this trouble with usb hardrive not showing up on my G4DP 450 it happens if i use a long cable for some reason if use a short on straight in to the usb 2 Pci card dont have any probs some thing do do with long cables, maybe dont really know but its a work around for me

froggy
28th February 2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Feb 28 2006, 08:23 AM
do you have Diskwarrior? it sounds like directory problems.

Ric
Yep, sure do. On my backup on the 'invisible' USB hard drive :(

JimWOz
28th February 2006, 12:56 PM
Froggy,
What happens in Disk Utility when you select the drive and hit the Mount button ?

froggy
28th February 2006, 05:11 PM
This is interesting! I think.

When the volume is selected in Disk Utility, Mount is greyed out. Unmount and Eject are available. I can Unmount and then Mount but the disk still doesn't appear on the desktop.

Cheers,
Andrew

froggy
28th February 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by froggy@Feb 28 2006, 12:46 PM
Yep, sure do. On my backup on the 'invisible' USB hard drive :(
Having looked at DW's website, it seems that I don't. DW comes in a box with a CD? The file repair programme that I have/had came as a free download. I can't recall what it was.

Cheers,
Andrew

froggy
28th February 2006, 06:10 PM
More interesting stuff.

Using Installer, I can select a install a programme to this 'invisible' disk!

Still can't see the disk on the desktop, though :(

Cheers,
Andrew

soulman
28th February 2006, 06:44 PM
Just out of interest: What happens if you go to an open Finder window, hit Command+Shift+G and type "/volumes/" (without the quotes) in the text box? Does the volume appear there?

What about trying another user account - perhaps your Finder prefs are unclean and need to be sanctified?

Johnny Appleseed
28th February 2006, 06:46 PM
An obvious question, but just in case:

Check your Finder preferences to make sure they're set to show removable disks on the Desktop and/or Sidebar.

debs
28th February 2006, 08:14 PM
This happened to one of the machines at work today only it was a hard drive mounted over the network. The drive icon disappeared from the desktop but was still connected - I could still access and save files as it still appeared in the list in the sidebar. I don't know if it fixed itself, we just ignored it until knock-off time!

froggy
28th February 2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Feb 28 2006, 06:44 PM
Just out of interest: What happens if you go to an open Finder window, hit Command+Shift+G and type "/volumes/" (without the quotes) in the text box? Does the volume appear there?
My missing disk appears! Looks like a network alias. And I can access files!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

soulman
28th February 2006, 08:51 PM
Cool - glad it was useful. More of a workaround than a solution though. My hunch is that some Finder preference is not well or something - everybody knows the volume is there except the Finder. Hate to think what they will all be saying about it at the pub tonight.

Did you try another user account or JA's suggestion of ensuring that ejectable disks are set to show up? Sometimes just resetting these things can clear up mysterious ailments. If all else fails, blame the pixies. Tell them I sent you.

macmate
28th February 2006, 09:11 PM
diskwarrior will fix this problem. also deleting the right preference file will fix it too. sorry i am not at home so i can't figure out which one.

cosmichobo
28th February 2006, 09:16 PM
When I saw the subject line, I thought this had to refer to the way your files "disappear" when you startup a computer with its harddrive formated in HFS+ (or whatever it is), using a pre OS 8 startup disk...

I tell you what, I nearly died when I started my TAM up with its original 7.6.1 OS disc after having at some stage reformatted the drive to HFS+... and found my hard disk "empty", with only 1 file named "Where have all your files gone?".

I'm sure someone at Apple has a sense of humour, but they should be shot for that! How about - "It's ok, you're files aren't gone!"...

(For the uninitiated, the files are all still there, but unreadable until you restart using a OS 8+ system. Some details in this post may be closer than they appear in the mirror. ie my facts may be hazy and the dinosaur is really big.)

froggy
28th February 2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Feb 28 2006, 09:11 PM
diskwarrior will fix this problem. also deleting the right preference file will fix it too. sorry i am not at home so i can't figure out which one.
How much does DW cost? :unsure:

Now that I can at least access my files, I can wait for you to tell me which preference needs to be deleted. Thanks, Ric! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Andrew

froggy
28th February 2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Feb 28 2006, 08:51 PM
Did you try another user account or JA's suggestion of ensuring that ejectable disks are set to show up? Sometimes just resetting these things can clear up mysterious ailments. If all else fails, blame the pixies. Tell them I sent you.
Ejectables etc are set to show. Just in case, I deselected that option, closed the preferences pane (pain :P ) and then selected it again. No different.

I have tried the other users on my system. No different.

The pixies said that they don't wanna know you! :D

Cheers,
Andrew

soulman
28th February 2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by froggy@Feb 28 2006, 11:05 PM
Ejectables etc are set to show. Just in case, I deselected that option, closed the preferences pane (pain :P ) and then selected it again. No different.

I have tried the other users on my system. No different.
Hmm. It was worth trying at least but the fact that it's the same in other luser accounts makes a corrupted Finder pref less likely I would have thought. I'll be interested in Ric's solution.

The pixies said that they don't wanna know you! :D
And you think backups are bad... B)

Streetwise has Diskwarrior for $125 (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=1252). I don't use it often - things just seem to actually work these days - but it seems to do its stuff OK.

Mac Aid
28th February 2006, 11:23 PM
toss out ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, then restart and do a safe boot (hold shift for ages while starting)

Let us know if that fixes it.

froggy
1st March 2006, 12:38 AM
Didn't fix it, Ric

Cheers,

Andrew

Squozen
1st March 2006, 08:33 AM
Maybe the .DS_Store file on that drive is corrupted? You'd want to open the terminal, cd to that Volume and 'rm .DS_Store'

I have no idea if this will make any difference but it won't hurt. Personally I'd copy all the files to another drive or network device then format the disk and see if it starts behaving normally.

froggy
1st March 2006, 10:24 AM
You'll have to help me a little more with that command line, please, Squozen. Specifically, how do I change to that volume, please?

I connected the drive to an iBook today. Can't see the volume on the desktop. It does seem as though it is a problem within the volume rather than my iMac. I'll try and connect it to a friend's D*LL later today. It'll be interesting if windoze can see the disk and/or volume.

Cheers,
Andrew

JimWOz
1st March 2006, 01:14 PM
Froggy,
The D*LL won't see the drive if it is formatted HFS - ie Mac.

In terminal type cd /Volumes/volumename
press return
then type rm -i .ds_store
press return,
then confirm the deletion type y or n.

Get the files off the disk first, then reformat it and see if it behaves.
Keep a couple of sets of CD or DVD backups, 1 at work, 1 at home, as well as the external HD.

Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro can both work on repairing the directories. (or Norton Utilities 8 - so long as your are sub Tiger, it went end of life after 10.3.9.) I use TechTool Pro.

froggy
1st March 2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JimWOz@Mar 1 2006, 01:14 PM
Froggy,
The D*LL won't see the drive if it is formatted HFS - ie Mac.
Thanks, Jim

I thought that a windoze machine would have seen the drive, but not been able to read the directory/file. Doesn't matter, though.

In terminal type cd /Volumes/volumename
press return
then type rm -i .ds_store
press return,
then confirm the deletion type y or n.Done, but the volume still doesn't mount on the desktop.

Get the files off the disk first, then reformat it and see if it behaves.
Keep a couple of sets of CD or DVD backups, 1 at work, 1 at home, as well as the external HD.
Is that so that I can have three sets of unusable backup? :D

Thanks for all of your help!

Cheers,
Andrew