PDA

View Full Version : Partition HD stuff

froggy
25th February 2006, 09:38 PM
Hi all

I am now (re)installing 10.2 onto my G3 tray load iMac. As HDriveKilla has pointed out here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=16977&view=findpost&p=145375), I have to partition my 80gb drive. One of the main reasons for doing the re-installation is that I've run into heaps of problems with applications like Mail and iPhoto wanting their data on the same (logical) drive as the application.

Now it seems like I have to have a partition of 8gb or less as my first partition. How do I get around this problem of the data and the application being on separate logical drives? Have I missed something here? Hope that I have explained the problem clearly!

Cheers,
Andrew

ruegen
25th February 2006, 10:23 PM
:huh:

froggy
25th February 2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ruegen@Feb 25 2006, 10:23 PM
:huh:
What didn't you understand?

JimWOz
26th February 2006, 07:37 AM
Yes a Tray load iMac G3 needs the boot partition to be wholly contained within the first 8G of the HD. - So make the Partition just under 8G.

You could try locating your Home Folder on the next partition. This will avoid your home directory swelling in size and running out of HD space on the 8G boot partition.
Install OS X onto the boot partition then do the following.
The following instructions come from Ted Landau's Book Mac OS X Help Line Panther Edition, which I have found to be invaluable.
Launch Terminal and type
sudo ditto -rsrc "/Users/username" "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username"
sudo niutil -creatprop / "/Users/username" home "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username"
sudo rm -dr "/Users/username"
sudo ln -s "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username" "/Users/username"

Now log out and back in, or restart and your home directory should be on the volumename partition. You can copy your backed up data into your home directory now without running out of disk space.

First line copies your home directory - username, to the volumename partition - the remaining partition on your HD if you make just 8G and the rest partitions.
Second line reassigns the home directory to the new location.
Third line removes the home directory from the boot volume.
Fourth line creates a symbolic link in the Users directory on the boot volume that points to the new location, creating the illusion the username home directory is still in the Users directory on the boot partiton. So applications expecting their data to be on the boot volume will be happy.

Good Luck froggy !

froggy
26th February 2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by JimWOz@Feb 26 2006, 07:37 AM
Yes a Tray load iMac G3 needs the boot partition to be wholly contained within the first 8G of the HD. - So make the Partition just under 8G. Yes, I made that first partition 7.9gb.

You could try locating your Home Folder on the next partition. This will avoid your home directory swelling in size and running out of HD space on the 8G boot partition.
Install OS X onto the boot partition then do the following.
The following instructions come from Ted Landau's Book Mac OS X Help Line Panther Edition, which I have found to be invaluable.
Launch Terminal and type
sudo ditto -rsrc "/Users/username" "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username"
sudo niutil -creatprop / "/Users/username" home "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username"
sudo rm -dr "/Users/username"
sudo ln -s "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username" "/Users/username"

Help! :P

I'm not a Un*x person. I was, however brought up on command line stuff, so I'm not totally afraid.

Are the - really just a dash, or am I meant to be typing the ~ ? I've seen the ~ used elsewhere in OSX, hence my question.
Am I meant to type the " as well?

The reason for those questions is that the first line appeared to work. With the second line, the computer is responding with
niutil: can't modify home in directory /Users/andrewkroiter: No such directory
What have I done wrong here?

Cheers,
Andrew

JimWOz
26th February 2006, 12:06 PM
dashes and quote marks are required.
is your username spelt that way and is it all lowercase.
is that the home directory name when you open the Users folder in the finder.

also try:
sudo niutil -createprop / "Users/username" home "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username"
There should be a space after the first /.

JimWOz
26th February 2006, 01:39 PM
OK Froggy, I can't get step 2 to work either. Tried it on my old PB G3 running 10.3.8.
So instead of step 2 using niutil do this.

Open the Netinfo Manager application in the Applications/Utilities Folder
go to Users/username.
Scroll down until you see the home line.
Change the value from Users/username to Volumes/volumename/Users/username.
Then go back to terminal and perform steps 3 & 4.

This has worked for me.
Make sure the ditto command has worked and the Users/username directory is on the other partition before deleting though !

edit: 12 April 2006: After a bit of to and fro with froggy via email, discovered a typo in the reference book, it should have a lowercase u in the first occurrence of "users". The correct syntax for the niutil command is:
sudo niutil -createprop / "/users/username" home "/Volumes/volumename/Users/username"
Where users is the directory in the netinfo database to look for the username directory in which you want to change the home property value, username is your actual long username and volumename is the name of the drive partition you want to move the home directory to.
Game Over.

froggy
26th February 2006, 02:53 PM
Jim!

Double your pay!

No, triple it! :) :thumbup:

I haven't yet created accounts for my children as users. Do I create the user as normal and then go through this procedure for each of their accounts?

Cheers,
Andrew

JimWOz
26th February 2006, 04:05 PM
Yes Froggy, I think that's the case.
The Users directory is still on the boot volume, it has a symbolic link (an alias of sorts) to the particular user on the other partition, where all the megabytes in your home directory are, so you should repeat the procedure for each user.
You'll need to be logged in as an administrator (your user account I guess) to make the changes to the kids user directories though.

:D

froggy
27th March 2006, 08:25 PM
I don't know if this is related, but each time I start any application that accesses the net - I think - certainly when I start Mail - it asks me for my keychain password. I've given that when I logged in, so why would it be asking for it again?

Also, I just downloaded and installed Skype. When I attempt to start it, I get the following message:
Cannot create Skype folder at Volumes/Macintosh HD2/Users/andrewkroiter/Library/Application Support/Skype.
Make sure you have enough privileges to create that folder and launch Skype again.
Is this all related, or am I way off track here?

Cheers,
Andrew