PDA

View Full Version : Missing Space on iMac G5 HD

tommi
25th February 2006, 04:11 PM
G5 iMac 17" running 10.4.5 has almost full HD but there is 20GB missing when adding up all the folders! Where has it gone? Why doesn't it show up? Can invisible files take up this much room? If anyone has experienced this before please assist. Apparently Carbon Copy Cloner was used to clone to an external HD and that's when it happened.

astr0b0y
25th February 2006, 04:12 PM
Download What Size and check out everything.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21149

rob05
25th February 2006, 04:27 PM
Hi

have you been using stuffit lately?

It has a big problem since 10.4.5 it can infact chew up your disk space quite badly.

Use the app suggested.

Or turn on the hidden files and locate the stuffit temp folder and get info on it.

Rob

ADAMS77
25th February 2006, 05:10 PM
I had this problem. but the problem was me. i was burning avi files to dvd with iDVD and it kept the file in the "Movies" folder in "Documents".
If you have been doing anything like this (even changing file formats like AVI file) make sure the program hasnt made a copy somewhere in the Documents folder somewhere like that.

Currawong
25th February 2006, 06:30 PM
If you Get Info on the HD, how large does it show the HD as being?

gelfie
25th February 2006, 07:29 PM
There is a lot of the os that is not shown in the Finder. That is probably taking up most of the space. Some of it will be virtual memory. And some of it will be the way harddisk manufacturers measure a kilobyte. 1000 bytes rather than 1024. It adds up over a a few gig.

Then of course there is overhead from the filesystem. Just formatting a disk eats up space. A few hundred meg would not be an ostentatious figure.