PDA

View Full Version : Killer headphones

OziMac
20th September 2004, 10:39 PM
'Police fear a new killer - headphones'

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/...5532176287.html (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/19/1095532176287.html)

This girl's death is nothing short of terrible - why anyone should be killed doing something as mundane as crossing the road is outrageous. A huge tragedy for her family.

But equally outrageous is the continual need to find scapegoats. Fair enough there must have been some reason the girl didn't see the tram coming, and it probably had something to do with having the music up too loud. But I fail to see how that would have made any difference had she been at a green light or pedestrian crossing (correct me if I'm wrong, I can't be sure from the article whether or not she was jaywalking or at a crossing).

If it's not violence in movies, sex on TV, public servants or imaginary WMD it's something else.

As someone who listens to music whilst walking around, to and from the city every day, I resent this. How is suggesting that people not wear headphones going to save any lives? Perhaps it would be better to warn people not to wear headphones whilst taking your life in your own hands by jaywalking? Or by simply paying attention to the world around you? If doing both is too difficult then perhaps you shouldn't be doing one of them. But to blame the headphones? There's a brain between them that also needs to share responsibility for its actions occasionally.

Ozi
21st September 2004, 12:18 AM
Yup. There are squillions of Melbourne Uni students (and numerous other commuters) who listen to music on headphones, often on iPods. If headphones were so dangerous, there would be hundreds of fatalities a day! However, these students and commuters have learnt to be aware of their surroundings whilst listening to music: I see people plugged into their iPods jaywalking all the time, but they always look left and right before stepping onto the road. It is just common sense. Even without headphones, you would be mad to step off a curb without first looking in both directions; Bikes are virtually silent on the road with or without headphones.

:lol: at the WMD comment. I would love to start a political debate, but shall restrain myself. :P

Kreats
21st September 2004, 05:16 AM
Apparently the canalphones that are popular with audiophiles (Etymotics for example) cut off all external noise to the point where it could be dangerous - i.e. they can miss audible clues from traffic, etc that would normally be indicators of danger.

Never tried them myself, they seem a bit invasive to the ear for my liking :blink:

OziMac
21st September 2004, 01:39 PM
I didn't want to say this initially, but in response to your post Ozi, I'm relieved and surprised that they didn't chuck in a 'people should not use portable music devices, like Apple Computer's iPod, whilst walking or they risk their lives'.

The iPod has become another scapegoat of late - IT 'analysts' are bagging it due to its ability to act as quick, large portable storage that could possibly threaten corporate database security and stability (while they seem to find USB keys a wonderful aid); the iPod is targeted as the catalyst for inducing copyright infringement (particularly in Australia where no fair use rights over personally owned copyright materials exists), even though PCs and VCRs have been contributing the lion's share over the years; and of course, people like Dvorak think that it is a useless contraption that, despite its current dominance, is but another rung on the ladder towards Apple's final doom.

Tall poppies. And Stockholm syndrome - people who have sold their souls must defend the very thing that they are hostage to - see again my post above (thought you'd like that one, Ozi :)).

Honey
21st September 2004, 03:49 PM
o dear,
poor girl, hm, doesnt the earphones effect your ears not your eyes?
i will now pay attention on what is around me, especially traffic and crossing the road, and when crossing i shall take out my earphones, i hav experienced almost getting hit by a car, it shocked me quite a lot when i was little. :unsure:

o, i'd like to know what does it mean by industrial deafness? my mum has said it before to my brother, because you could hear his music from his headphones from about 5-6 metres away, and when i try to say somethin important, like my hands burning or i feel sick, he said, you're stupid cant you see im listenin to music?hm, :angry: i do agree he should turn the volume down, i sure do, i dont like my music too loud.

Ozi
21st September 2004, 04:33 PM
Industrial Deafness is what happens if you work in a really noisy workplace: ie. You use a jackhammer to build roads, and don't wear hearing protection (Like earmuffs.)

:D OziMac. Stockholm Syndrome is an awesome song by "Muse," BTW. I found it hilarious when iPods were blamed for compromising workplace security: Anyone could just carry a 100GB formatted HD into their workplace and drag-and-drop all the files: its not as though the iPod stands alone as a device for this kind of crime. :rolleyes:

oh: you know that new G5 iMac? It is the beginning of the end for Apple. :lol: :P

decryption
21st September 2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Sep 21 2004, 04:33 PM
:D OziMac. Stockholm Syndrome is an awesome song by "Muse," BTW.
It's a very very good song too :D

Byrd Edit: Shit: somehow click on Edit instead of Quote :)

Byrd
2nd October 2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by decryption+Sep 21 2004, 04:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (decryption @ Sep 21 2004, 04:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ozi@Sep 21 2004, 04:33 PM
:D OziMac. Stockholm Syndrome is an awesome song by "Muse," BTW.
It&#39;s a very very good song too :D

Edit: Shit: somehow click on Edit instead of Quote :) [/b][/quote]
I agree, and recently discovered the joys of Ash - Clones as well :)

JB