PDA

View Full Version : mac / pc wireless hookup

benny gsr
20th September 2004, 09:13 PM
I am soon to get broadband, and my housemate has a newly acquired Compaq laptop, running windows xp.

We want to run a network (ive got airport in g3 500 ibook). From what i can guess, he has 802.11g, (whilst i obviously have B). I've read the thread suggesting possible probs with routers and different sppeds.

Is there a wireless router that anyone knows will work seamlessly (at least with my mac! haha). I have been looking at Dlink and NEtgear? How easy is it to connect ? Is there anything I need to know?

Any help apprecitated :) Thanks

markh
20th September 2004, 09:19 PM
I have a similar thing to you. ADSL into D-Link router which then i have my airport express attached to. My powerbook and IBM Thinkpad laptops connect via this. Have a HTPC box MythTV that is connect to the router via cable. If your getting ADSL, why not just get an airport express/extreme and hav ethe ADSL modem plugged into that.

benny gsr
20th September 2004, 10:02 PM
Can't the modem go to the dlink router with antenna which can then go direct to my airport card and the PC?

As long as it supports both g and b speeds?

Correct me if im wrong?

p53
29th September 2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by benny gsr@Sep 20 2004, 10:02 PM
Can't the modem go to the dlink router with antenna which can then go direct to my airport card and the PC?

As long as it supports both g and b speeds?

Correct me if im wrong?
Sounds right to me.

pipsqeek
29th September 2004, 09:52 AM
Yes, Provided the Wireless Access Point (The wifi router) provides 802.11b and 802.11g and can do so simultaniously, then its not a problem.

Althogh, some people (including myself) have seen where the entire wifi network will only work as fast as the slowest link. So when an 802.11b equiped computer is on the network, the entire network works this way.

This is not always the case though, my Linksys WAP54G is dual band and the 802.11b computers work at their speed and the 802.11g computers work at theirs.

Steve