PDA

View Full Version : imac G5 17/20 inch service manuals..

purana
20th September 2004, 02:53 PM
For those people planning on getting an Imac G5 sometime now or in the future... you might like to have a copy of the service manual for each of the models. These service manuals were made available 13Sept by Apple to service centres and since I was on holidays I didn't realise.

I'll make them available below for a short time only. (approx a day or so)

[links removed for the moment... anyone got some diskspace and bandwidth to spare... we've used over 1gb in the last few hours]

Enjoy

decryption
20th September 2004, 03:24 PM
I just installed 1GB and an AirPort Extreme card into a 17" iMac we just got in.
Let me tell you, this thing is a piece of piss to access and install hardware. It can't get any simpler unless it picked up the hardware and put it itself :P

markh
20th September 2004, 03:24 PM
Would by any chance have a service manual for the 12" 1.33Ghz PB? ;-)

estoyloco
20th September 2004, 05:08 PM
Any chance getting a G5 powermac manual? I plan on upgrading most of the inside, but it would be good to read through all the WARNING instructions etc. Like i wouldnt have had a clue about static discharge etc..(i know your supposed to do it but i never knew how etc.. i would just not wear sock, touch metal plates and other primative measures!)

Or if anyone knows where you can download them that would be great!

kim jong il
20th September 2004, 05:51 PM
This may be a really dim question but why would Apple release documents in a .rar format. Last time I looked (and this was some time ago) there were only a couple of .rar expanders for a mac. SourceForge and OpenDarwin were the sources (9 months ago). Most literature at the time (as I recall) said it was a PC world thing and the expander was provided in the interests of compatability. A question is; does this compression type offer significant advantages over what is generally used now? Surely standard compression formats are good enough. Why would Apple do this? Am I missing something? An unexpected answer will not make me all bitter and twisted, I'd really like to know.

kim

decryption
20th September 2004, 06:50 PM
I think Iodine RAR'd the file himself, from the PDF Apple gave him, rather than Apple giving him the PDF in RAR format :)

kim jong il
20th September 2004, 07:06 PM
OK I am OFFICIALLY an idiot. Next time I'll actually READ the link.

Any, so why did he do it? It really is not that common is it?

Cheers

decryption
20th September 2004, 07:11 PM
On PC, RAR is quite common. ZIP is still the major one, and 7z is the best compression format IMHO (www.7zip.org), but yeah, on Mac it's virtually unheard of.

purana
20th September 2004, 07:14 PM
And if you want a certain service manual, feel free to email me the request...

As to the rar format, as someone pointed out.. I did this (not apple). I used rar format as its my preferred compression program on windows. If I was on osx at the time I would of used something else.

I compressed them, as I didn't want people loading the pdf from my site. I want said people to download them.

Hope this explains. Enjoy.

purana
20th September 2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Sep 20 2004, 07:11 PM
On PC, RAR is quite common. ZIP is still the major one, and 7z is the best compression format IMHO (www.7zip.org), but yeah, on Mac it's virtually unheard of.
That decompression software on osx handles rar files perfectly fine. I just double click it and bang it decompresses on my desktop.

purana
20th September 2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Sep 20 2004, 05:08 PM
Any chance getting a G5 powermac manual? I plan on upgrading most of the inside, but it would be good to read through all the WARNING instructions etc. Like i wouldnt have had a clue about static discharge etc..(i know your supposed to do it but i never knew how etc.. i would just not wear sock, touch metal plates and other primative measures!)

Or if anyone knows where you can download them that would be great!
What model? and I will make one available for you... and you won't be able to download them from apple, as you need to be certified tech and have access/logon for the site.

estoyloco
20th September 2004, 09:51 PM
hey .. the Dual 2.0GHZ is what i plan on getting once the prices drop!

Cheers..

PM or POST!

Thanks for the iMac one too! interesting read! ->compared to Interest rate swaps!

purana
21st September 2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Sep 20 2004, 09:51 PM
hey .. the Dual 2.0GHZ is what i plan on getting once the prices drop!

Cheers..

PM or POST!

Thanks for the iMac one too! interesting read! ->compared to Interest rate swaps!
I'll make those manuals available later this week... I'll mirror some locally on my adsl link and restrict its access and bandwidth... stay tuned.. just downloading all the updated manuals and making a quick webpage for it.

I am using all my bandwidth atm so its making it hard to download the suite of manuals.

markh
21st September 2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks iodine. PM the details when up :)

Jmi
21st September 2004, 12:19 PM
This is going to be real dumb but what is this "service manual" for??
If its something that everyone would like to have, where can I find one for
my 15" pbook ??

decryption
21st September 2004, 12:37 PM
A service manual is used by an Apple technician when you take your Apple product in to be repaired. He/she reads it, and follows a guide on what approach to take to fix the item.
It usually has in it procedures on how to disassemble the item and how to troubleshoot it.
People want it because they wish to learn more about their system and to undertake any troubleshooting/repairs themselves rather than taking it back to the dealer to be looked at.

markh
21st September 2004, 01:08 PM
iodine, i have some bandwidth i can spare for a couple of days.. PM me if you wish to host them

purana
21st September 2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by markh@Sep 21 2004, 01:08 PM
iodine, i have some bandwidth i can spare for a couple of days.. PM me if you wish to host them
You sure about that... in the period of one evening.. the 17inch guide was downloaded about 45 times and nearly a gb of data.. followed behind the 20inch guide consuming 400mb of downloads.

I am in the process of collecting all the recent changed/updated guides.. once I've done that collection. I will then update a html page linking all the manuals/products... Then I will make it available on a request basis..

Stay tuned.. should take me a few days to get it all together.

purana
22nd September 2004, 08:35 PM
I have finally finished downloading all the available manuals.. It totals 664mb of diskspace. I dont have anywhere to host it and if I did it would consume gigs of downloads.

Those people after certain manuals, I will email you shortly..

Quamen
22nd September 2004, 08:40 PM
Could you shoot me an email. I'd like to get my hands on a 12" powerbook manual. My nick at gmail.com will work.

purana
25th September 2004, 09:28 PM
Anyone who has broadband with a ISP that peers on pipenetworks will find the complete set of service manuals being posted to alt.binaries.kooks (and for those who don't you mind find these being propogated to external news servers in the next few days).

markh
27th September 2004, 08:31 AM
Guess i wont be getting them then :-(

purana
27th September 2004, 08:35 AM
Due to the size of each manual, its impossible to email anyone them..

markh
27th September 2004, 08:38 AM
As i said.. give me a link to get them and ill host em here for abit ;-) (on a 2Mb link)

purana
27th September 2004, 08:35 PM
You can't get them from anywhere... unless you get them from the usenet posts on usenet atm... otherwise we'd need to arrange a cdr with them on it ;)

The html and dir structure is done, its a matter of putting the 680mb extracted files into a webserver dir ;)

markh
6th October 2004, 11:23 AM
well, maybe we can sort out some hosting for people for abit ;-)

yellowdude
8th October 2004, 03:44 PM
Hi All, Im surprised this wasnt mentioned but a search of google for "Apple Service Manuals" may yield some reading :) I dont know if clickable links are allowed - but Im hesitant to post links as Apple Service Source CDs and obviously there contents are not freely available.

daz
12th October 2004, 03:31 PM
you can download some from here:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/manual.man/manuals.html

internet
12th October 2004, 08:01 PM
what about creating a .torrent?

if 2 people had the .torrent going, we could all download it and seed it from there!

purana
13th October 2004, 08:06 AM
Doh.. I should of thought about that.. I will create a torrent and find a server to use as the peer. Then seed it for a few weeks. I get 1500/256 line first thing next month (so that will help since I will have more upload bandwidth to spare)

purana
13th October 2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by daz@Oct 12 2004, 03:31 PM
you can download some from here:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/manual.man/manuals.html
Not bad. If you want the kit I have be ready for the torrent :)