PDA

View Full Version : OSX Mail - Can't quit, can't delete

froggy
17th February 2006, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm running 10.3.9 and OSX Mail 1.3.11.

I am unable to quit Mail. I can force quit, but next time I go back in, I'm faced with the same situation.

I can't delete any mail from any folders. Mail looks as though it has deleted the messages but next time that I go into one of the folders, all the [deleted] messages are still there.

The whole computer seems to be s l o w i n g d o w n.

I've attached a picture of what Activity Viewer is showing. Items 1-3 and 5 aren't moving, and have been like that overnight.

Any ideas, please?

Cheers,
Andrew

jeremy_warnock
17th February 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah mate I had the same issue a few weeks ago this is waht i did.

force quit mail

then go > users %username%
then to library
then to mail
you will see the mail boxes
control click to show contents
then trash the suckers!!!

mail will work fine again for you - fingers crossed

p53
17th February 2006, 10:00 AM
repair permissions? trash the Mail preference file?
lol I was so slow finding my way through all my tabs that jeremy beat me by 15min with a better answer too.

froggy
17th February 2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by jeremy_warnock@Feb 17 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah mate I had the same issue a few weeks ago this is waht i did.

force quit mail

then go > users %username%
then to library
then to mail
you will see the mail boxes
control click to show contents
then trash the suckers!!!

mail will work fine again for you - fingers crossed
Jeremy,

Does that mean that I lose all of my mail?

Andrew

gaehl
17th February 2006, 10:37 AM
Yes Froggy, jeremy_warnock's solution will completely get rid of all your mail. At the moment tho I dont have a better solution sorry :cry:

Edit: An idea! instead of deleteing the mail you could just temporarily move it (the mail boxes) to the desktop then see if it fixes the problem, that way you can find out if the problem is in you mailboxes or not.

Georgina EG
17th February 2006, 10:41 AM
Wouldn't your ISP still have copies of your emails you can access?

gaehl
17th February 2006, 10:46 AM
Georgina EG, it depends on how mail is setup and your ISP, but somewhere between none and all of the mail could be on the ISPs mail server.

froggy
17th February 2006, 10:48 AM
Some, Georgina. Not all. And I never trust backups, either, for some reason. Probably the result of bad past experiences.

And I'm worried that my most recent backup will have the same corrupt files.

Andrew

froggy
17th February 2006, 10:55 AM
I've trashed the 'deleted' mailbox - that was what I was trying to do when all of this started! The activity viewer now shows
Restoring open windows
Updating color for message 3 of 53
and it SEEMS to be moving.

Do I just leave Mail and see how things progress?

jeremy_warnock
17th February 2006, 11:00 AM
actually no with my solution, I tried it this morning with 10.3.9, once in the mailbox and show contents you will see the individaul items.

However if you are really concerned I suggest this,

copy your mail box and delete it from the library dirctory - this way mail will start to work againthe you can use text edit or on a pc to open each mail item to see if its important - if its vital keep it if its not trash it. all going well though you will be able to delete the offending mail item

jeremy_warnock
17th February 2006, 11:02 AM
froggy in your mail pref's you must have the otion to leave them on the server for x number of days - by default mac mail leaves all messages on the server, this is why you now have 53 items - gees hope you dont have dial-up

g5agogo
17th February 2006, 11:09 AM
Do you know if your mail is set up for imap or pop protocols?

If you rearrange or delete or move large numbers of files or even if the mail app is updated, it can take an inordinately long (sometimes several hours) time particularly if you are using imap protocol for mail to finish sorting. Suring this time my ibook and G4 PM 500 often gets so slow that it looks like it has crashed, but eventually sort themselves out.

Otherwise deleting the plist files as previously suggested might be an option.

Also, if it always appears that the problem comes when you reach a certain file (if using iMAP) then logging onto yourISPs webmail server and deleting the offending file from there, might help. Of course, that file will then be forever lost if you don't have it backed up somewhere.

good luck

froggy
17th February 2006, 11:27 AM
g5agogo,

I don't like that 'good luck' at the end of your message! :P

I'm set up for POP mail.

Jeremy,

In Mail/Preferences/Accounts, I have deselected (not ticked) 'Remove copy from server'. My ISP deletes mail after 45 days. Therefore, on my ISP's server, there are some 1100 messages. No, I don't have dial up! :D

Andrew

froggy
18th February 2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks to all your suggestions yesterday!

This morning all finally started working properly. Trouble is, I'm not really sure which one of the many things that I tried finally fixed it. :unsure:

But its working now! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Andrew

g5agogo
18th February 2006, 11:58 AM
Andrew,

Well done.

I knew the "Good Luck" would work like a charm! ;)

Mac Aid
20th February 2006, 10:20 PM
I'll take this opportunity to alert you to some issues with mail, if you don't clean up your mailboxes from time to time.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25812

Basically, if your mailbox is too big, you will have problems with mail.

The best thing to do to prevent this is to periodically archive your mail into separate folders, which translates to separate mailboxes. Don't forget to do it with sent items as well!