PDA

View Full Version : Imac Monitor Problem

varsis
20th September 2004, 02:48 AM
I have an imac, the imac has a monitor that is all messed up but when u put it to sleep and turn the monitor back, it looks exactly how it should for a couple seconds then fades out, i have a feeling this has something to do with the power supply becuase the imac power supply burnt out about a 1 year ago monitor has been like this this we got it replaces so i think it's that problem:( can anyone help me guide me through on how to fix it?

Jaymz
20th September 2004, 04:45 AM
What model iMac is this? If it's a CRT based one, and you're unable to get into OSX/OS9 long enough to find out some basic specs (processor speed, default RAM/HD size, etc), you should be able to find this info by flipping the iMac over and reading the lines under your serial number & ethernet ID. It'll begin with "iMac".

kim jong il
20th September 2004, 06:00 AM
Like Jaymz said. We'll need to know what type of imac? Slot load or tray load CD? These last two are critical because each had unique monitor related problems (what applies to one may not apply to another)

the_argon
20th September 2004, 09:41 AM
Just moving this into the help forum.

varsis
21st September 2004, 12:05 AM
slot loading tray, so if u can help i hope so:) becuase the power supply was replaced and i think some wires got moved and are not connected as good as they should be

kim jong il
21st September 2004, 06:33 AM
Hey varsis. Slot loading tray? Either slot loading (you feed the CD into the front of the machine) or tray loading (you place the CD on a tray which dissappears into the machine)

On slot loading imacs installing OS 10.2.x without performing the 4.1.9 firmware upgrade can send your machine into spasms (most people think the monitor has died; it looks much the same). The installer does not warn you that this MAY happen. It just stops working properly and the problem looks exactly like the analogue board is bung.

http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.2pt30.html (a report dated 23/10/02)
and http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...837185#comments (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021023065837185#comments)

Have a look at these and let us know (I actually have not read these completely but they seem to have it covered). I have experienced the above first hand so please ask if you have questions.

kim

varsis
21st September 2004, 08:28 AM
okay i tried updating the firmware but it was on the latest version.. any more hints? the screen worked fine till we got the thing fixed then the screen like stoped

Currawong
21st September 2004, 08:06 PM
My lousy memory says this is a hardware fault - a certain component that has to do with the monitor part of the iMac is stuffed. I vaguely recall someone writing an article on some simple way to fix it.

varsis
22nd September 2004, 12:03 AM
cool, well i think it's just a loose connection as i said before, becuse it was after we got it back from the shop when they fixed the power supply

varsis
22nd September 2004, 09:49 AM
hey okay, im going to look inside anyone know how to discharge the monitor(crt) i can't seem to find out how and how to do u remove the top rear housing?

purana
22nd September 2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by varsis@Sep 22 2004, 09:49 AM
hey okay, im going to look inside anyone know how to discharge the monitor(crt) i can't seem to find out how and how to do u remove the top rear housing?
You shouldn't open it (let alone discharge it unless you know what your doing). discharging a CRT is extremely dangerous.

varsis
22nd September 2004, 12:28 PM
oh:( well i really want to fix this but it's probably better to buy a new comp then investing like 3k in an imac well 2,500 is already in it

Catacaustic
28th October 2004, 03:05 PM
If you want to check if it's the CRT monitor and not another hardware problem (like the logic board or the power supply) you can take teh bottom off the iMacs and get at the VGA connector there. It's normally hidden, but it does have the same plug at a standard PC monitor. That way if you can hook up an external monitor and have it work fine, you know it's the CRT and it should either be scrapped, or taken to a proper profesional to be fixed. Once again, don't ever go near an exposed CRT tube unless you're a professional!!! These things can kill.

If an external monitor has the same problems, then I'd say take it back to where you got it fixed the first time and ask them to check out the connections, etc and see if there's any problems. They shoudl be helpful enough if you say it's been happening since the power supply was changed over by them.

let us know how it goes. It's always sad to see a sick mac.

frenchtoast
28th October 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Catacaustic@Oct 28 2004, 03:05 PM
Once again, don't ever go near an exposed CRT tube unless you're a professional!!! These things can kill.
Having thrown rocks through a few crappy old pc monitors, yes they can be.

adamjc
28th October 2004, 07:40 PM
macfixit.com

Should be able to help you.

-Adam