PDA

View Full Version : Macbook, XP vs Powerbook and VPC

soferfam
15th February 2006, 11:01 AM
My Powerbookw as stolen and is being replaced by the ins co.I would appreciate some thoughts on two options I have.

Forget any conversations on comparing WIndows vs OSX but the fact is some of us need to run both.. fact

Option 1.
Powerbook 1.67 17" with VPC (VPC is, as we all know, relatively slow for development work in Access, Documentum, etc)

Option 2
Macbook pro 2.0 ghz. We know emulators (maybe/maybe not VPC) for XP will be available in the next few weeks/month but has anyone actually tried running OpenOSX and XP on an Intel Mac??

I also have a company provided XP notebook, so if an emulator takes 2-3 months to be availble, I'm am still ok with that.

Option 1 sits nicely due to the additional real estate but is really deflunct technology, I suppose

Any thoughts/assistance is appreciated

Rob

Byrd
15th February 2006, 11:55 AM
If you use XP for 25% or more of your working needs, wait until a working solution is found for running XP on Intel Macs, and don't bother with a 1.67Mhz G4 running VPC - you'll be disappointed.

As you're probably aware there is currently no solution to run WinTel code on Intel Macs at this time.

JB

lambs
15th February 2006, 12:10 PM
Stick with the XP notebook for PC stuff until a demostrated workable solution is available for XP on Intel Macs. At the moment such solutions are nothing more than vapourware.

VPC on a G4 notebook is painful at the best of times.

In your situation, depending on what Mac applications you need to run, I'd be leaning toward the MacBook in anticipation of a solution being found.

iSlayer
15th February 2006, 12:18 PM
id go for the mac book and use the windows laptop until someone gets windows booting on macs