PDA

View Full Version : so stupid

mikeh
15th February 2006, 09:12 AM
Hey Ya'll,

Unfortunately I wasn't quite as awake as I should have been this morning when I got to my desk. I booted up my 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz, connected up my external hard drive via the firewire 800 port......... it didn't seem to be going into it's hole as smoothly as usual, when I looked at it I realised I was trying to put it in the ethernet port. I promptly put it in the correct port but then when I tried connecting the ethernet cable I fully realised my error, the ethernet cable was now not 'clicking in' like it usually does. So now I have to wedge something between the ethernet cable and the desk so I can connect to the net.

So, does anyone think I can fix the ethernet port myself, or know of any good guides, or can give me some pointers? Or should I just take it to Apple?

Cheers

Aa
15th February 2006, 09:28 AM
mate you must have been sleepy! :blink:

(edit) I once stufffed up a dialup port and wrapped the outside of the input with double sided stickytape.

its not your answer, but it worked...

mikeh
15th February 2006, 09:32 AM
I blame the wine form valentines day and the 1 and a half comute to work :(

Starscream
15th February 2006, 09:39 AM
I did thay as well, but with my modem. so now i just laced the hole thing in tape, so it cann't budge :)

mrbolano
15th February 2006, 09:54 AM
yeah well at least your ethernet still woks - I 'ran' to the phone and tripped over my cable and now the ethernet pins are all pointing outwards like little broken fingers

Applecentre quoted me $800 for a repair - not likely

I'd go with the sticky tape approach myself

paulhek
15th February 2006, 10:29 AM
if fixing your ethernet port is gonna turn out expensive... maybe consider switching to wireless? that might be cheaper all together? Just a thought.

cheers,
Paul

mac_man_luke
15th February 2006, 10:40 AM
Would require either a new logic board or someone who can solder on a new port for you == expensive as hell!

mrbolano
15th February 2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@Feb 15 2006, 10:40 AM
Would require either a new logic board or someone who can solder on a new port for you == expensive as hell!
yep, my $800 quote was for a new logic board

mikeh
15th February 2006, 10:53 AM
yep, my $800 quote was for a new logic board

Doh! this is turning out to be an expensive morning!

Thanks for your help people :) :thumbup:

paulhek
15th February 2006, 11:15 AM
so why not hook your cable or adsl modem up to a wireless router, that way you don't need the ethernet port anymore. You got a decent router for about 100. And a good one probably for 150-170?

Byrd
15th February 2006, 11:52 AM
It's probably the pins of the ethernet port that are damaged - but this is fixable. Check another ethernet port, and make sure some of the pins on top are pointing downwards - this causes the "click" sound you hear. You can adjust the pins using ... a sewing pin.

JB

spargo
15th February 2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mikeh@Feb 14 2006, 11:32 PM
I blame the wine form valentines day and the 1 and a half comute to work :(
as long as you got laid, then it was worth it..

jeremy_warnock
15th February 2006, 12:41 PM
can i suggest an old pcmia style nic card from ebay????

cosmichobo
15th February 2006, 01:38 PM
And the amount of typos... looks like a few people had a good valentines.

mikeh
15th February 2006, 02:44 PM
Hey Folks, I got it!

The pins looked a little off, so I followed byrd's advice and fixed them up, ethernet still would go in properly and 'click'. So (assume the pins are at the bottom when looking in the port) on the top left hand side a saw a piece of metal, which must help the cable end stay firm when inserted, it was protruding out a bit, thus not letting the cable end go in all the way and 'click'. so I bent it back the way it was supposed to go and hey presto, it's all fixed.

Thanks again for all your help!

Byrd
15th February 2006, 03:36 PM
That's great to hear mikeh - really happy to hear you've a fully functioning PB again!

Obviously had to do the same a while back - I couldn't remove a dodgy network cable from my iBook, and had to yank it out ... leaving some pins being out of whack.

JB