PDA

View Full Version : Drowned Mac

LCGuy
4th February 2004, 06:36 PM
The other day, I was on the iMac, online checking out all the forums i go to, as per usual. Then, it started to rain. Unfortunately, i left the window open, and by the time i realised, my LCII, and its 14" Macintosh Colour Display was completely saturated. Of course, i took it all apart, and left it to dry for a while. Yesterday, I realised that it was dry, so i thought i may as well give it a go. I carefully inspected everything, put everything back in the case, plugged in a monitor and keyboard, attached power, and gingerly flipped the switch.....and the damn thing booted straight up on the first go!!!! :o And this is a machine that was COMPLETELY DROWNED!!!!!!! :o I was amazed when it fired up...it sure says something about Apple's hardware quality back in the day. I'm still not firing that monitor up for a couple of weeks though. ;)

Anyway, there will be a pic coming your way sometime within the next couple of days! :D

decryption
4th February 2004, 06:59 PM
I remember having a chat with a program manager of a course I wanted to get into last year but later didn't get into, and he said the LCII is his favourite computer of all time. He had one in his office and he just liked to pull it apart for fun, he loved the way it was so beautifully engineered.

During high school we had a three computer labs, one full of Performas, one of LCII's and another with Pentium 3's. The LCII's were aways working and just worked, turned it on, ran the apps, got the work done. The teachers loved them :P

I'm not surprised your LCII survived a drowning :P

LCGuy
4th February 2004, 07:01 PM
I love the LCII as well...the first Mac I ever used was that LCII in the back of the classroom that the teacher forced me onto that afternoon back in Grade 3, and was what ignited my love for the Mac, and computers in general! :D

the_argon
4th February 2004, 07:45 PM
Heh, yeah, my school was full of LCII's & LCIII's they rocked. I remember back in the day one of my teachers set the class an assignment where we pretty much had to play sim city and build the best city we could... Man that was cool.

The Library also had LC's and Return to Zork. I was so addicted to that game... I think a freind and I were the first to finish the game at school B)

decryption
4th February 2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Feb 4 2004, 07:45 PM
Heh, yeah, my school was full of LCII's & LCIII's they rocked. I remember back in the day one of my teachers set the class an assignment where we pretty much had to play sim city and build the best city we could... Man that was cool.

The Library also had LC's and Return to Zork. I was so addicted to that game... I think a freind and I were the first to finish the game at school B)
We had the same assignment too!
3 classes in a row consisted of play Sim City on the LCII's!
Best assignment ever :P

Radar
4th February 2004, 11:14 PM
I'll tell ya a quick story about drowned Mac's. My Tech teacher told me this.

There was a classroom at his old school, rather more of a storeroom, that was filled with LCII's with monitors. They were left during a 8 week school holiday period, in which massive rainfalls occured. Due to the position of the classrooom, the enitre workspace was covered in water, which was discovered 8 weeks after the rain when school started. The macs were litterally full with water to the top.

After a quick drain out, and after being left to dry for a week, every single one of the machines booted up and ran fine, without a hitch, after being covered in water for 8 weeks.

Byrd
4th February 2004, 11:33 PM
I've picked up computers ... wet ... from the side of the road in my local council hard rubbish collection in the past. Bloody soaked, actually.

But if you dry them *completely*, and clean off any corrosion/crap alright, usually it'll work first time!

JB

LCGuy
9th February 2004, 11:47 AM
Latest update: External HD checked out fine. Hoever, the monitor wasn't so lucky. Now the picture rolls and jitters, like a really bad TV picture. Anyone know how to fix this?

Byrd
9th February 2004, 06:07 PM
What sort of Monitor - Trinitron or Color Plus (blah)?

You *could* consider cracking it open and adjust the pinch pots to get a stabile picture again, but don't say you heard this from me. There are very high voltages inside the monitor that cause hurtiness.

Otherwise, a good whack could fix it - has worked on a fair few TVs for me!

JB

LCGuy
9th February 2004, 11:44 PM
bYrd, its a Trin. :) I figured adjusting the pots and giving it a few good whacks would fix it, but it didn't. :( Ah well, now that i have gotten the guts to make live adjustments, i have a decent replacement for my good (and dead) Colour Display!

LCGuy
9th February 2004, 11:57 PM
Btw, just so you guys know, I have been taught how to work on CRTs. I just try to avoid doing scary stuff whenever i can, which is probably why i've never done any live adjustments until now.

LCGuy
10th February 2004, 02:18 AM
Here's the pic of the machine running, after being drowned less than 48 hours before! Its the machine with the lid off. ;)

http://www.cinemafia.net/lcguy/pics/drowned.jpg

Currawong
10th February 2004, 08:12 AM
I have fond memories of sitting in my parents' kitchen over a long, hot summer drinking beer while chatting online with my LC1. I only had a 12" screen, but it was enough. I still can't believe I used to run Photoshop 2.5 on it. Compressing a JPEG took about half an hour to an hour.

Eventually, it died, and I had to rush to find a replacement (at Christmas/new years too!), which ended up being an LC 475, which I found for sale from a bloke in Darwin (irony not intended), which had been advertised on a web board set up by the short-lived Mac-only ISP.

The LC did come back to life (dunno how), and I gave it to a collector, along with my 512ke. The LC475 disappeared into a friend's computer shop. I rather regret letting that happen.

Asher Tuzza
20th February 2004, 02:04 AM
what does the lcII have over the LCIII - i am a lcIII nut - not the lcII's

LCGuy
20th February 2004, 05:07 PM
Nothing, really. I just like them because the first Mac I ever saw/used was an LCII. :D

Asher Tuzza
22nd February 2004, 12:14 PM
ugh - my first mac that the family owned was a + - the first mac i owned myself was a 512

i own about 5 LCIII's :-)