PDA

View Full Version : No desktop icons?

stefanlod
11th February 2006, 12:02 PM
Okay, everything else works, it's just that I don't have any desktop icons. First, I'll bring you up to speed - I saw an application called "coolbackground", a neat little freeware app that allows you to set your background as a screensaver of your choice. Downloaded it, tried it out, worked great, after a while, decided I didn't want a flurry on my desktop any longer so I went back to the window and asked it to stop the screensaver... it didn't stop. So I quit it and tried to relaunch the finder, which did relaunch but with no desktop icons. I thought "the icons might be underneath the running screensaver... if that's possible". So I went into activity monitor to quit (not force quit) the process of the screensaver.

The screensaver went away, but the icons didn't come back. I thought, maybe I'll log out and back in just to check. Not back. Rebooted, only to find that the icons weren't there. I could still get into finder windows. I decided that maybe there was a problem with the finder's desktop preferences. Everything was fine. So now I have no desktop icons (although I can still get to them through the finder). The desktop portion of the finder is dead.

My only solution at the point is maybe an archive and install, which I've never done, but I know will probably fix the problem. This is my last resort, but perhaps someone might have a suggestion. If an archive and install is my only choice, what will I lose and what will stay? will I lose my preferences, or is only the system replaced, and how long will it take? Since it's just an annoyance, I have no rush to do it, although I would like it back sometime this weekend.

p53
11th February 2006, 12:25 PM
Have you tried repairing permissions?
Does the same thing happen if you log in as another user? If not, create a new user to replace the faulty one. If it does, it is a system-wide problem.

p53

stefanlod
11th February 2006, 12:31 PM
Don't worry - fixed it (I'm so proud of myself!). Made a new user, logged in as it, icons were there, so I renamed the finder preference file in my library folder, relaunched and the icons came back. Maybe someone should pin up an article for telling people how to get their beloved icons back in case this happens to someone else.

sikosis
13th February 2006, 10:27 AM
yeh I've had this problem before but repairing permissions and rebooting fixed it for me.

Just one of the many problems with Finder ...