PDA

View Full Version : Panther on iBook 500?

matttt88
17th September 2004, 04:23 PM
hi all, just bought a iBook 500 from auctions, comes with 10.0.3 installed already *shudders* i want to put Panther on it, but i cant get it to boot from the CD, i have tried pressing C when booting and setting the boot drive in OSX itself to boot from the CD, but it always ends up booting from the hard disk into 10.0.3. what am i doing wrong here?

Disko
17th September 2004, 04:52 PM
What happens if you hold option at startup?

In system preferences, does the panther CD show up in 'start up disk'?

matttt88
17th September 2004, 05:06 PM
when i do that it shows first of all the CD labeled 'Mac OS X Install Disc 1' then an icon next to that of a hard disk with an X next to it (the osx X) and then the same next to it, i have no idea what to do here because i cant click any of the buttons on the screen, nothing happens at all.

And yes in system preferences it does show up, and i have selected it and rebooted but nothing happened, just went stright to the hard disk

EDIT: is there a bios or firmware update or something for the iBook 500? if so can someone link me to it, i cant find anything like that. also it does let me press the -> button on that boot screen but it just refreshes what is listed, nothing else.

titan44
17th September 2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by matttt88@Sep 17 2004, 05:06 PM
EDIT: is there a bios or firmware update or something for the iBook 500? if so can someone link me to it, i cant find anything like that. also it does let me press the -> button on that boot screen but it just refreshes what is listed, nothing else.

I've put panther on my gf's ibook 500 and it installed no worries, so i can't see any firmware update being the problem

matttt88
17th September 2004, 05:18 PM
what OS was on it origionally? a friend of mine told me that it might work if i put 10.2 on it first and then try panther. would that make a difference?

matttt88
17th September 2004, 07:23 PM
how will i be able to copy my Panther DVD that came with my PowerBook onto an external hard disk and boot that hard disk on the iBook? naughty i know but i have run out of choices. It appears my panther discs are screwed.

Currawong
17th September 2004, 09:20 PM
With holding down the Option key at boot, you have to wait a LONG time before all the options will be available for boot selection. Eventually the 10.3 CD will show up.

Other option is to open the CD in 10.0.3 and double-click on the installer, as that will force the correct boot selection when you click on the "Restart" button.

matttt88
18th September 2004, 10:12 AM
ive already said i have done all that, none of it works either.

we came to the conclusion that it does a system test, the iBook only has 64mb of ram at the moment, it was going to be upgraded anyway, but we were going to try and install it anyway, hopefuly it will work this time *fingers crossed*.

matttt88
18th September 2004, 03:14 PM
ok all ok, installed and running quite smooth for the power of the iBook. its got 320mb of ram now and runs nice and qick with Panther on it.

purana
18th September 2004, 03:52 PM
Neat... nice to know you got it installed and running.