PDA

View Full Version : Software Update auto-installer

decryption
17th September 2004, 03:46 PM
As part of my job, I re-install lots of Mac OS X machines, and I'm wondering if it's possible to have a CD or external drive with all the Software Updates in there, and have them all install at once, rather than one by one. I know I can "queue" them up, but that's still a lot of clicking!

Or even what would be good, is like a local Software Update server. e.g: a machine that has all the updates, and when I click Software Update in OS X, it downloads and installs them all from the server on the LAN rather than off the internet.

Anyone got any ideas?

Disko
17th September 2004, 04:51 PM
You can slipstream updates into install CDs - you can also slipstream any appliactions you'd like installed with the OS... I'll see if i can find the directions again.

decryption
17th September 2004, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, do you know if it can be all automated, and exclude things from being installed from the default setup?

the_argon
17th September 2004, 09:17 PM
Remote Desktop?

decryption
17th September 2004, 09:26 PM
With ADR I still have to wait for it to install, click the forward button a few times, then install each package one by one.

There is the Network Install thing, which I'm looking into, but I can only experiment with that at work, because there are two Macs there but 0 here currently :(