PDA

View Full Version : Connecting external display to Powerbook

zac
7th February 2006, 08:46 PM
My 17" powerbook's display died the other day and until I have time to get it fixed I thought I could just plug it into my Apple Cinema display and use that.

Turns out that the display is ADC and needs an adapter to plug into DVI which I bought today for $179.

Brought the adapter home, plugged it all up and it worked great.

I didn't have to set up a thing - the display popped on straight away in its native resolution of 1600x1024 and there was my desktop.

I closed the lid of my powerbook and it was still all working great - the screen stayed on and the computer was functional!

I put my computer to sleep and when waking it up my display was no longer showing my desktop - instead it had set itself to 2nd display mode and was showing just blue. I managed to get the preferences window up and choose "mirror displays" which again put my desktop on the screen however it was no longer using the resolution of the 22", instead adopting the 1400x900 resolution of the powerbook with big black lines around a smaller box in the middle of the screen! When I closed the lid of the powerbook, the screen blacks out now instead of continuing to function.

I don't really understand how this works - I would really appreciate some advice on getting the first mode back.

Cheers,

-Zac

W2ttsy
7th February 2006, 09:04 PM
ah yes, the mirroring will cause the cinema display to act the same as the 17" screen. i bet if you messured from the black lines youd find the 22" had shrunk to 17".

what you need to do is change the primary monitor in system prefs.

open system prefs. turn off mirroring. then click on the arrangement tab

then make the ACD primary by dragging the white menu bar from one display to the other. then close system prefs.

you will have dual screen spanning setup. the secondary display will be the powerbook and the primary display with all your icons will be the cinema screen...

W2ttsy

zac
7th February 2006, 09:07 PM
Awesome! I wouldn't have figured that one out. Thanks a lot for your help W2ttsy.

spargo
7th February 2006, 09:12 PM
zac - be wary of keeping the lid closed while the 17" is running onto the external screen..

Sure, people do it, but there have been instances of the things cooking themselves when they are closed while using an external.

If you have to you have to, but if it can be avoided it will probably run a lot cooler with the lid open just sitting next to the external monitor.

Its your call -

zac
7th February 2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Spargo. Actually, closing the lid and running the display doesnt work anymore anyway, could have been just a glitch. I'll keep it open anyway thanks to your advice.

Cheers,

-Zac

W2ttsy
7th February 2006, 09:17 PM
thats cool mate.

i have 3 displays hooked up to my G4, so ive had a big fiddle with the arrangement prefs. plus i also span my laptop in similar ways.

also. if you shut the lid and then hook up your USB mouse and keyboard to the laptop, you can use it as a desktop machine. the computer will recognise the mouse and keyboard and the other display as the primary display.

refer to this article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064)

W2ttsy

zac
7th February 2006, 09:32 PM
Ah right. I must have pulled the AC cable out so it wouldnt let me run with the lid closed.

spargo
7th February 2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by W2ttsy@Feb 7 2006, 11:17 AM
thats cool mate.

i have 3 displays hooked up to my G4, so ive had a big fiddle with the arrangement prefs. plus i also span my laptop in similar ways.

also. if you shut the lid and then hook up your USB mouse and keyboard to the laptop, you can use it as a desktop machine. the computer will recognise the mouse and keyboard and the other display as the primary display.

refer to this article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064)

W2ttsy
What W2ttsy is saying is true - you can run them with the lid closed as per the article.. I was merely giving you a warning about the possible risks.

And as I said (and as W2ttsy demonstrated) plenty of people do it, so its your call..

W2ttsy
7th February 2006, 09:55 PM
since the introduction of the G4 PB, there has be a new venting system used. heat is disipated via a liquid cooled conduit (http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2473/photo00196cw.jpg) to 3 fans (15"+ powerbooks). one is located centrally and pushed heat out a vent between the USB and DVI port, then there are two located (one on each side) forward of the hinges. this allows the PB to be run with the lid closed. shouldnt cause heat issues if you keep those vents open.

other option is to just take the lid off... undo the hinges, remove the LCD connectors from the video inverter and then run it headless.

note: sorry bout the crap image quality. mobile phone camera + no light in the room

W2ttsy

zac
7th February 2006, 10:32 PM
Is it easy to decapitate powerbooks? Do you just mean those tiny little screws on either side of the PB in line with the screen hinge? As my Powerbooks display is a bit buggered anyway, it might be the way to go.

The display still works but is very very faints so it looks like the backlight has failed.

spargo
7th February 2006, 11:48 PM
Well, you learn something new everyday!!

thanks for the info W2ttsy - add that to the memory banks Notebook people..

W2ttsy
8th February 2006, 11:31 AM
you may wish to consult an apple service manual before removing the screen yourself. there are 3 cables you need to worry about. the this cable providing the display data, then a cable for screen power and one for backlight power.

these are all connected to the motherboard. some via the video inverter board (tells the screen how to display the image. without this, the screen would appear upside down) others will be connected to the motherboard via the PMU. eitherway, you cant just yank the screen off.

PM me if youd like the relevant parts of the manual. im sure i could dig them up.

but before you go apart and pull the screen off the powerbook. it sounds like there may be something up with your brightness. have you tried using the brightness controls on the keyboard (located above f1 and f2 < you may have to press fn while using these keys).

sometimes when a powerbook goes to sleep while it has a dimmed screen, and then the power is cut (no ac plugged in and battery dies) then the computer will remember the dimness of the screen. which is why toggling the brightness controls may work.

either that, or try a PRAM reset? hold down apple option P and R after you hear the first startup chime. if that is successful you will hear a second chime and then the computer will boot.

also, try a firmware reset. hold down apple option O and F like above. if it works you will be thrown into the open firmware prompt. which is a whitescreen with little black writing.

type

reset-nvram press return then type reset-all

it should restart you mac. if not just type mac-boot and the mac will exit open firmware and continue to boot.
for more info i suggest this article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642)

W2ttsy

zac
8th February 2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the help W2ttsy. I tried the PRAM and firmware - no joy. The screen backlight really is buggered i think. I can hear an unnatural internal squeek every time i move the display up or down.

I think it would be best if I took it into get repaired by a pro.

zac
18th February 2006, 02:51 PM
Just a follow up:

I took my Powerbook to a mac repair centre and the guy took the old screen off and bolted on a brand new one - all covered under applecare. My old one had big scratches over the front and the new one is pristine, so the whole thing was kind of a blessing instead of a curse.