PDA

View Full Version : Logic Board Failure - G4 iBook

Chr1s
7th February 2006, 02:51 PM
All,

I know this has been discussed a million times but I couldn't find the specific info I needed via search/Apple website.

A friend of a friend has a G4 iBook and has been informed her logic board is probably dead, as it won't start up anymore. I know there was some kind of replacement program a while back for people with a certain serial number whose iBook logic board died...

Which serial number range did this apply to? Any other conditions to this offer, such as warranty etc?

Thanks.

hawker
7th February 2006, 02:55 PM
All should be on here:

http://www.apple.com/au/support/ibook/faq/

gaehl
7th February 2006, 03:04 PM
Its for iBook G3s not iBook G4s

Rayd
7th February 2006, 03:11 PM
their is no replacemnt program for the ibook g4 logic boards, only on the G3. dogged, i know, but hey, thats what applecare is for :D

hawker
7th February 2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Feb 7 2006, 02:41 PM
their is no replacemnt program for the ibook g4 logic boards, only on the G3. dogged, i know, but hey, thats what applecare is for :D
opps. missed that :P

Chr1s
7th February 2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks. :)

lambs
7th February 2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Chr1s@Feb 7 2006, 02:51 PM
A friend of a friend has a G4 iBook and has been informed her logic board is probably dead, as it won't start up anymore.
Welcome to the 'club' :(

Unfortunately Apple want $1000+ for a new logic board....+ fitting, of course. I did a bit of searching when mine blew and it's possible to get them in from the US a bit cheaper (~$US500).

appleware
25th August 2006, 10:30 AM
Guys the logic boards can be repaired, there is no need to replace or exchange the logic board. I dont think I've heard of anyone repairing the boards, its all about replacing! To an old tech like me half the fun is hunting down the fault and having the satisfaction of repairing the board to the component level. If I replaced boards all day long I'd loose interest in the servicing game. We repair ibook boards all the time, hardly ever need to replace a entire board. $1000 AUD for a new logic board... compare that to a repair at less than half that price...
regards Appleware