PDA

View Full Version : Network - Auto Connecting?

plunkotica
6th February 2006, 11:27 PM
Well, here's the deal. I have purchased a mini, which I plan on using as a mediapc connected to my plasma. Now, i've installed MediaCenter, and it does the job VERY well over a wired connection, perfect even, it instantly starts playing the vids etc.

Now, my main problem, is that all my media is stored on another pc, and so I have shared the folder where it all is, and then I connect to it via apple+k, and all goes well, etc.

My problem is, each time the mini is turned off, it loses the connection to the shared folder.

Is there a way, to automatically connect to a computer/shared folder at startup?

ANY help on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Asher Tuzza
6th February 2006, 11:48 PM
just a thought, what about an ALIAS with the password saved in keychain... then just open the alias and the connection should be re-established...

Goodbye
6th February 2006, 11:53 PM
Isn't there a way to add a server as a startup item in System Preferences?

macmelly
6th February 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm a real newbie at this...but I created an AppleScript to run at startup which mounts the drive on my Powermac to my ibook. Here is my script:

try
mount volume "afp://Registered Username:password@IP Address/Volume Name"
end try

Then I added the AppleScript to my Login Items section under my user account in System Preferences.

This may be a very round-about way of doing it...but it works for me!!

Good luck,

Mel

neilrobinson
7th February 2006, 12:07 AM
Hi,

System Prefs>Accounts>Login Items

just drag and drop your connected network share into their... make sure the username and password is stored in your keychain ;)

neil

Disko
7th February 2006, 12:07 AM
I did similar to macmelly, but i used automator to make an app that does the same thing.

plunkotica
7th February 2006, 12:24 AM
neilrobinson, you got it perfectly, i even use it to launch the media app too. thankyou, and thanks for all the others who replied! it works a treat!

now tomorrow, i just gotta go buy a new ipod dock and the remote heh.