PDA

View Full Version : This weeks gems (from work)

kim jong il
15th September 2004, 05:01 PM
These are some recent gems from work. Maybe you guys/girls have similar stories to share? I should add that this is not meant to be a PC/PC users hate fest but more of a reflection of the people I work with. (We have around 1500 people at our facility and I only know one other mac user there. He doesn't have any major issues either). There are a few Linux users that I know of and they are much more clued up individuals.

"I was told you need at least a pentium III to use the internet. Is this right?"
Me: NO

"My machine is infested with spyware. 18% of system resources are occupied with dealing with it. Its a brand new Pentium 4"
Me: Get spyware/adware software to deal with it.
"I have but it keeps coming back"
Me: Huh? Have you tried having the software running in the background?
"Maybe I should get a firewall?"
Me: What??? Your PC is exposed to the outside world? Thats like going out with your pants down. You will be infested with allsorts within 15 minutes. Trojans, worms, the works
"But I only use a modem. I don't have broadband"
Me: That is probably going to make it more annoying, not less.

"Popups are sending me mad"
Me: Use a popup blocker maybe?
"I do but at each new site its the same. A dialogue box comes up and I select (something)"
Me: Why not make it automatic?
"I'll try that"

"I know you use macs so you must have a lot of technical knowlege right?"
Me: Wrong
"Huh?"
Me: I use macs because I don't.
"Huh?"
Me: No virus issues, security issues. No major issues at all really.
"Then why are PC's so popular?"
Me: (sarcastically) No idea....... Actually lots of reasons, but you have to go back more than 20 years to find the root of it all. Primarily a couple of decisions by a few people (add much detail). Popularity does not equal superiority.
"Oh"

I actually wonder why they quiz me about their problems. All I seem to do is annoy them. The funny thing is more and more people ask me about their PC issues. Especially network and internet related questions. I don't think they realise or appreciate I actually have work to do and it has nothing to do with information technology. If they take 10 minutes of my time I have to make it up. Sometimes I feel that STW or RTFM would be the best responses but I just can't do it.

kim

decryption
15th September 2004, 08:45 PM
Make them pay you money for the priveledge, then see how they react ;)

p996911turbo
15th September 2004, 10:22 PM
<rant>
What is it with PC users coming to Mac users with their problems?&#33;

I get it all the time&#33; ARGH&#33; It is tempting to just step back two steps, point my right index finger directly at the plebeian, and yell "PEBKAC&#33;" at the top of my lungs to publicly humiliate them... But I usually don&#39;t because other people think I&#39;m the crazy one...

I can cope with it when it&#39;s a genuine problem, e.g. stuffed HD, but when it&#39;s a minor, "What is a drive bay?" type problem, I just feel like shooting them.

I&#39;m also a punctuation freak (some people, including myself, would call me an 83rn3rd), so when I see PC users turning out documents missing acutes, graves, umlauts, ellipses, solidi, or anything else really, I turn completely insane. To insert an e acute "" on a PC requires either "Insert Symbol" in Word or typing some absurdly long code. On Mac, just option-e-e. It&#39;s bliss I tells ya&#33; Not one PC user I know knows how to insert an accented letter using only the keyboard, or how to insert an ellipsis. It even amazes PC users that I can type Japanese wherever I want&#33;

So I sit here quietly in front of my Mac, safe in the knowledge that every mark of punctuation is under my fingertips

</rant>

Does anyone have a life for sale? I think I might need one&#33;

dev_enter
15th September 2004, 10:41 PM
Oooh, thanks for that p996911turbo&#33;
I know most of the character codes in Windows, but I didn&#39;t know how to do them in OSX without using Edit - Special Characters.

Daz34
15th September 2004, 11:28 PM
I have been studying at TAFE cert 3 Information Tech, and we are supposed to be using windows.
There is a book claiming to be "Essentials Of IT and Network Administration" and there is not a mention af how to use any other OS besides a Windows one.
I am supposed to be studying it but I decided to substitute that polished turd with O&#39;Reilly&#39;s
"Mac OSX Hacks for Panther".
I mean we are supposed to be training for the real world and everyone seems to be going away from Microsoft if they have a clue for networks and servers etc?
I also have a guy who reckons he has viruses for mac and no one believes me when I say there are only a couple of "proof of concept s" out there and they cant execute automatically.
I am right aren&#39;t I?
I have been able to do everything on my mac that I had done on a PC before.
Only I can do it on the lounge as it is a laptop (iBook 933).
Strange, I feel more comfortable in my mac...
:lol:

Ozi
16th September 2004, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the stories kim. :) Perhaps the reason they ask you dumb questions wasting your time is so that they don&#39;t have to work&#33; With 1500 people all working, there must be at least a few hundred who are dead wood, and would rather hassle the workers than do work themselves. :rolleyes:

Cam
16th September 2004, 08:52 AM
Sounds a little like.. Mac eye for the Windows Guy&#33;

kim jong il
16th September 2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Sep 16 2004, 01:47 AM
............... With 1500 people all working, there must be at least a few hundred who are dead wood, and would rather hassle the workers than do work themselves..............

Workplace agreements specifically prevent me from public comment on this issue

cough onlyafewhundred? cough

matrixgeek
16th September 2004, 10:53 PM
Try selling PC games to the general unwashed masses and then wait for the questions when they bring them back...

Examples:

Punter-"This game won&#39;t work."
Me-"Ok, what error message did your PC give you?"
P-"Oh, I never read those messages anymore, I get so many of them..."

Punter-"I tried to install this game, but it won&#39;t run."
Me-"OK, do you have these System requirements?"
P-"I don&#39;t know...I have XP??? It&#39;s an XP machine. And (insert person here) told me that all PC&#39;s are the same if they run XP..."

Punter-"This game won&#39;t work. I have a graphics card and all the other stuff butit won&#39;t work."
Me-"Have you installed the drivers for Direct X?"
P-"What&#39;s that? Don&#39;t you put the disc in and it does all that for you?"

And my all-time favourite, and I shit you not this actually happened:
Punter-"Doom 3 won&#39;t do anything on my machine. It runs Doom 1 ok but."
Me-"Ok, what processor do you have and what version of Windows are you using?"
P-"A really good one - a 486-33 and I use Windows. 3.1 I think it is..."
(Doom 3 minimum specs P41Gig, 256meg ram, win XP, dX9...)

Think it might just be the users, hmmm???

In sympathy,
Mat

p996911turbo
17th September 2004, 10:42 PM
Here&#39;s the useful set:
option-e-[vowel] will give you the vowel with an acute. E.g., ""
option-`-[vowel] will give you the vowel with a grave. E.g., ""
option-i-[vowel] will give you the vowel with a circumflex. E.g., ""
option-u-[vowel] will give you the vowel with an umlaut. E.g., ""
option-n-[n, a, or o] will give you the letter with a tilde over it. E.g., ""
option-semicolon will give you an ellipsis. E.g., ""
option-apostrophe will give you an ash. E.g., ""
option-q will give you the oe equivalent of an ash. E.g. ""

BTW, I welcome any corrections anyone has&#33;

kim jong il
23rd October 2004, 06:43 AM
An update:

Being a simple person I am easily impressed by big numbers. As such I have to share this update on the guy who thought he might &#39;need a firewall&#39;. He came up to me at work the other night and said that he had got his firewall and antivirus software; updated virus definitions the works. "Well I started the scan and I thought the machine had crashed...... but it was still working and I had to come into work so I left it...... When I got home it had finished and informed me that it had detected, removed or annexed 6,500 viruses" (This really does seem like quite a lot to me) "That&#39;s awesome" said I. Like I said, easily impressed.

cheers, kim

Atomic
23rd October 2004, 07:23 AM
Thats beyond infected - thats infested&#33; :ph34r:

mjankor
23rd October 2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Daz34@Sep 15 2004, 10:58 PM
I have been studying at TAFE cert 3 Information Tech, and we are supposed to be using windows.
There is a book claiming to be "Essentials Of IT and Network Administration" and there is not a mention af how to use any other OS besides a Windows one.
I am supposed to be studying it but I decided to substitute that polished turd with O&#39;Reilly&#39;s
"Mac OSX Hacks for Panther".
I mean we are supposed to be training for the real world and everyone seems to be going away from Microsoft if they have a clue for networks and servers etc?
I also have a guy who reckons he has viruses for mac and no one believes me when I say there are only a couple of "proof of concept s" out there and they cant execute automatically.
I am right aren&#39;t I?
I have been able to do everything on my mac that I had done on a PC before.
Only I can do it on the lounge as it is a laptop (iBook 933).
Strange, I feel more comfortable in my mac...
:lol:
He&#39;s either written them himself (very unlikely), has some old ones from OS 7 days or is just talking trash. In the case of he former he&#39;s very clever, in the case of the latter two he&#39;s an idiot who should do some research on the subject first.

You are correct. To the best of my knowledge there is a single proof of concept virus that was written by an anti virus company (integro or something like that) and a single trojan, the office 2004 installer on p2p networks.

You can also get infected by MS Office macros but I don&#39;t believe they can do anything to your Mac. You just get the opportunity to pass them on to Windows users.

It always amazes me that many people, especially ones who think they have some IT knowledge don&#39;t realize.

1) Macs and PC&#39;s use different software and software for one normally won&#39;t run on the other.
2) Mac&#39;s do not run Windows.
3) Macs do not use Pentiums, Athlons or other x86 chips
4) Mac OS X is not an update of OS 9 or previous but is a Unix variant

I can understand the general public not knowing this info but when I run into PC 1337 H@x0r5 who have no idea what&#39;s happening outside of the next windows update it&#39;s a bit of a concern.

mjankor
23rd October 2004, 08:43 AM
Ooops

Brand new trojan just got discovered

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=3922

So now we have 2.

Phillip
23rd October 2004, 03:00 PM
I go a school of about 2,000 students. Its the most there is on a same site for a state school in Vic. There are 2 people I know who use Macs. One of them is me. Yes, I know what you are thinking. Luckily we have new eMacs at school, and the guy in charge of them is a Mac enthusiast.

Heres some of the myths that goes around.

1) Macs are not compatible with PCs
2) Macs don&#39;t have any programs
3) Apple is dying
4) No one uses Macs
5) Bill Gates invented Windows first so thats why 99% of the world use it.

People still come to me and ask for help when a million popups are bombarded at them when they open IE. And why they have 17 search toolbars in IE. And why "my computer" (what PC people call explorer) crashes when I try to put a MP3 file on a floppy disk.

:) this makes me like my Mac even more.

pipsqeek
23rd October 2004, 04:20 PM
That Networking Essentials book is absolute rubbish. I actually got the teacher that taught that class to us fired for not knowing what she was spitting out of her mouth. TAFE head honchos came down and assessed the class. "Network Administration" ptf. They made her take one of her own tests she had set out for the class, and failed. Making her isntantly unsuitable for teaching a class when she doesn&#39;t even know her own content.

For the majority of the time, Everytime she opened her mouth, the class would look at me, waiting for my theory on the topic.

I&#39;m no Genius, but I am there to learn, get a piece of paper that says I an a genuis and to have a good time.

Anyway.

WTF is a PC user doing putting an MP3 on a floppy? Or am I seriously asking a stupid question
:P

pipsqeek

frenchtoast
23rd October 2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Oct 23 2004, 04:20 PM
WTF is a PC user doing putting an MP3 on a floppy? Or am I seriously asking a stupid question
:P
Because they have to put something on a floppy then just use them as boot disks :P

Phillip
24th October 2004, 01:02 PM
Most of the PC users who think Macs suck are still using floppies :P

thomas
24th October 2004, 02:05 PM
Here&#39;s a great site for any graphic/web designers who&#39;ve ever had to deal with difficult clients...

http://www.clientcopia.com/

Enjoy :D