PDA

View Full Version : Downloading sit. or .dmg files opens AppleTalk

Ford Zypher
6th February 2006, 04:53 PM
Whenever I attempt to download a .sit or .dmg file AppleScript or Script Editor opens and download does not proceed. I cannot find any reason why this should happen nor anything in preferences to prevent it from opening. Has anyone got a clue what might be happening? Is it my settings or a fault somewhere in the software? Everything else seems to be working normally.

Any assistance appreciated

hawker
6th February 2006, 05:07 PM
Do you have any custom apple scripts running?

Has anyone else played with your system?!

W2ttsy
6th February 2006, 05:40 PM
go into safari prefs and set your downloads to not open on completion.

then once a downloaded file has finished, locate it using the magnify glass in the downloads list in safari (apple option L).

right click on it in the finder and roll over open with.... then select diskutility from the apps that you can open with. that should force it open for dmg. sit files are stuffit expander.

im sure there is a pref you need to delete to clear out the default application handlers, but i couldnt tell you what it is...

W2ttsy

Asher Tuzza
6th February 2006, 11:11 PM
another idea along the same lines would be to get info on one of the relevant .dmg downloaded files and select the OPEN WITH - change it to disk utility and then click apply to all - that SHOULD reset it back to the correct operation ;)

cheers

ash

Ford Zypher
7th February 2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hawker No, I have no custom scripts running as far as I am aware.
How can I tell?
Also there's only me to stuff up my system and no one else to blame unfortunately.

W2ttsy I am using FireFox but also tried all other browsers with same result.
As soon as I hit download the AppleScript pops up and the download does not proceed.

Asher Tuzza I just don't get the chance since the download doesn't eventuate
The only thing is that it must have worked since I must have downloaded and opened .sit and .dmg files at some point in the dim distant past.
And geez there's more to these Macs than what's on the surface......

Ford Zypher
7th February 2006, 03:27 PM
Bingo!

Used control/option keys to save file as filename without .sit and down she comes.
I have to admit I found it from a response on the Whirlpool Apple forum site but can anyone shed any light on "why is it so?"